It is official, the fans dont care anymore.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Sunbelt teams being succesful?? That is a big if.

This.

I think the NHL will lose big time when it comes to fair weather US fans. Places like Chicago even.

Even though I don't care now, I will watch the Leafs when they're back on. I just wont spend a $ on them - no products, no leafs TV, etc.

Macoun4life

Mar 6, 2011
Southwestern Ontario
I think what Bettman is overlooking is the fact that the game came back and it was better than ever. It was faster than ever and the scoring was up.

I don't know how they change the game this time to make it better. I'd like to see the shootout laid to rest. I really liked it at first, but it seems like a cheesy way to end a game. Or maybe they make it that you only get points if you win. 2 points for a win and 0 for losing, even if it is in overtime or shootout.

Regardless of any changes, I've said all along that I'm done with the NHL if they skip a full season. A deal exists and neither side wants to get there. If a deal didn't exist, then they may as well fold the league. This is war between millionaires who clearly care little for the fans. If they really cared, we would have had a deal prior to October.

I'm sure if the Leafs were in a better position I'd be singing a different tune.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Honestly for me I am pretty much done. I check in here for the WJC and occassionally to see how the marlies are doing, but as far as the NHL, I dont even miss it. Definitely not like last time anyway. For me the NHL had a lot going for it to get the fans back last time.

1.) paradigm shift. The cap was a tough pill to swallow, so it made sense the players fought it.

2.) Improved rules. The clutch and grab rules/ 4 on 4 and shootout, made the games a little more exciting.

3.) The crosby lottery. That got people talking. The supposed best player since gretz gets offered up in a lottery is a once in a life time story.

There is no shift this time. People are just arguing over a pile of money (at least in the casual fans eye).

There will be no knew rules to catch the teams. There is no crosby.

The only thing that would keep me into it is if something crazy happened like all contracts got voided like the NHL wants and they had an expansion draft.

Like if they lost the season, do the lottery for all players, then reverse the order for the draft.
Ie nhl draft Toronto drafts Stamkos 2nd overall and then they get 29th in the 2013 entry draft.

Obviously that would NEVER happen, but something crazy would really need to be done to catch my eye. I may watch the occassional game, but thats about it. Its actually refreshing to spend maybe 1% of my week on hockey..

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
I'm not going to boycott the games, but I welcome all those that do, because I wouldn't mind putting my name down for season tickets once they start accepting names for the Jets' waiting list.

This entire lockout is a measure to ensure long-term success for the business of the NHL. I support the players in wanting to make sure their rights weren't trampled to make the owner's pure profit, and I support the NHL for locking out the players to make sure they got what they wanted out of the CBA to make it so the Sunbelt teams aren't losing as much (if any at all) money.

If the Sunbelt teams are able to allocate more money to advertising, marketing and promotion, that will make them more successful. If the Sunbelt teams become successful, fans will grow in number in those regions, leading to more and more kids growing up being fans of hockey.

Then that will lead to more and more potential NHL calibre players, and better and better levels of competition.

Eventually making room for more and more teams, or even leagues.

So all in all, missing a few games or even a season, just isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things...

Am I missing something or is this the stupidest post ever ?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I care about hockey.

I care about the Leafs.

I care about the NHL.

I do not care about these players.

Every day that goes by a player says something completely stupid and disrespectful to the fans. I try to remind myself that most of these guys didn't even finish high school but they continue to just amaze me with the selfish acts they pull.

I am just happy that the only Leaf that's in the media is Lupul, and he's a UFA soon enough.

This.

At this point, I actually want the season to be cancelled and the union to be dissolved. The overwhelming majority of players will end up begging to play next season for a fraction of what the NHL's latest proposal would have assured them.

I have ZERO sympathy for the players. I bust my ass to pay my mortgage, support my family, buy jerseys, and go to the odd game. I don't have the patience to listen to a bunch of millionaire professional athletes b-tch and complain about the inequities of their working environment.

The players can all go f-ck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I don't agree with the analogy to Tims but w/e

On Tannenbaum

He did actulley do that.

It was a fairly famous indecent that happen in the last lock-out back in January 2005 at a BOG meeting where he apparently stood up and gave 30 minute speech about why they should play hockey that season; And apparently it was greeted with the old "Of course you want to play, You own the Leafs" line.

What more can he realistically do? He's one guy, And Bettman gets his marching orders from about 10 owners who are losing money.

you can disagree with the tim hortons example but he is spot on. Only if there was another hockey league who could grab them up, thats the problem.... if we had an alternative this league would have crumbled a LONG time ago.... (in his example everyone would have ditched TH to go to Mcdicks...)

and for Tannenbaum he is the leading revenue generator... he should have more say imo, because its screwing over his franchise and i think it would send a huge statement if the ACC had 50% of the seats purchased if there is a season. Bettman is a Pejorative Slur, its clear what needs to be done and he is just trying to screw the players over instead of just taking the blame. the reason this NHL is in this mess is its 6 teams to many, many people have said this yet the NHL thinks it will do well in hot places, obviously if they have a winner they will have support the team but thats what is rotting our league, it sucks for those fans but its the truth.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
This.

At this point, I actually want the season to be cancelled and the union to be dissolved. The overwhelming majority of players will end up begging to play next season for a fraction of what the NHL's latest proposal would have assured them.

I have ZERO sympathy for the players. I bust my ass to pay my mortgage, support my family, buy jerseys, and go to the odd game. I don't have the patience to listen to a bunch of millionaire professional athletes b-tch and complain about the inequities of their working environment.

The players can all go f-ck themselves as far as I'm concerned.

i have this argument with a lot of people, those "millionare" players aren't the ones that there fighting for. And being a professional athlete isn't easy, you know that second when you ask yourself "should i go to the gym or should i sit here and get drunk" well they dont have that luxury. Sure it takes a long time to become a doctor, but i would guess athletes spend more time at there craft then doctors.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Honestly for me I am pretty much done. I check in here for the WJC and occassionally to see how the marlies are doing, but as far as the NHL, I dont even miss it. Definitely not like last time anyway. For me the NHL had a lot going for it to get the fans back last time.

1.) paradigm shift. The cap was a tough pill to swallow, so it made sense the players fought it.

2.) Improved rules. The clutch and grab rules/ 4 on 4 and shootout, made the games a little more exciting.

3.) The crosby lottery. That got people talking. The supposed best player since gretz gets offered up in a lottery is a once in a life time story.

There is no shift this time. People are just arguing over a pile of money (at least in the casual fans eye).

There will be no knew rules to catch the teams. There is no crosby.

The only thing that would keep me into it is if something crazy happened like all contracts got voided like the NHL wants and they had an expansion draft.

Like if they lost the season, do the lottery for all players, then reverse the order for the draft.
Ie nhl draft Toronto drafts Stamkos 2nd overall and then they get 29th in the 2013 entry draft.

Obviously that would NEVER happen, but something crazy would really need to be done to catch my eye. I may watch the occassional game, but thats about it. Its actually refreshing to spend maybe 1% of my week on hockey..

maybe your onto something, that would intrigue my interest for sure.... all other ideas ive heard wont get the "casual" fans back, that has the possibility of it. (note, this will never happen)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The generation that can remember seeing a Toronto cup victory is entering the retirement age at the very least. Grandpa is going to look at his wallet and say to himself "AHL is looking pretty good for a night out with the grand kids." This segment of the population will not be forking out 200-300 dollars for a game anymore. The threat for Toronto losing fans is real. How many generations will put up with losing with no winning season to promote soft warm feelings for the team. It can't sustain itself forever.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The generation that can remember seeing a Toronto cup victory is entering the retirement age at the very least. Grandpa is going to look at his wallet and say to himself "AHL is looking pretty good for a night out with the grand kids." This segment of the population will not be forking out 200-300 dollars for a game anymore. The threat for Toronto losing fans is real. How many generations will put up with losing with no winning season to promote soft warm feelings for the team. It can't sustain itself forever.

that is a very good point crump, and honestly was going to say something similar to this but i didn't want to have 4 posts in a row :P

i do believe grandparents and parents for that matter are looking at cheaper ways of entertainment, and with this lockout i can almost guarantee people wont be paying out the ass to go watch this team playoff contender or not. I know with my grandparents they always took me to go and see the Jays and never the leafs just based on costs (well i also love baseball). The NHL has a serious problem on there hands, they have 6 team pulling down the league and franchises that NEED to do well to keep the league afloat are getting worse and worse. 2 of the leading revenue generators were both in the bottom 5 in the league, i dont see the NHL coming close to 3.3 billion in the next 5 years...

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
I used to - and still do - live and breathe hockey, and it will never be replaced as my #1 sport, but I am done giving money to the NHL. The 2004 lockout was a much different atmosphere than this one, we've now experienced the pain of a missed season and it was still fresh in our minds this time around. I hope the league loses money (or has a huge revenue drop at least) when play resumes.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I hope the NHL loses so much money it has to contract.

yes because taking away the worse defensemen and goalies thus making defense alot better and decreasing the gap between the worst and the best is a great way to make the game better.

never understood why people get so up in arms over stuff they don't control. I love hockey and can't wait till it comes back. wont miss a single game. you ethier enjoy hockey or you don't. why deprive yourself of something you like?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
yes because taking away the worse defensemen and goalies thus making defense alot better and decreasing the gap between the worst and the best is a great way to make the game better.

never understood why people get so up in arms over stuff they don't control. I love hockey and can't wait till it comes back. wont miss a single game. you ethier enjoy hockey or you don't. why deprive yourself of something you like?

Really don't know where you were going with that first paragraph so I'll leave that.

I don't want the NHL to come back to record profit, I want to see them flounder. I want to see America forget about the game. The only loyalty I have to the NHL is that they employ the best players in the world. The NHL has proven again and again that they don't care one bit about the fans - why? Because people say things like you just said there. They expect people to march happily along back into the arenas and forget anything happened. That will happen in the large markets, but they lost casual American fans here, make no mistake about it. I hope it hits them hard in the pocket book.

You don't understand why people get up in arms? No other professional sports league in the world has closed the doors on their game as much as the NHL has on hockey. The game I love is being held hostage again and again and again by people that don't deserve it - that's why I'm mad. The real question here is why aren't you?

NHL != hockey

Last edited:

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
You want to send a message? Boycott going to games for as many as they cancel. If they "lock us out" 40 games, we "lock them out" for 40 games when they come back. If everybody does this....it sends a message loud and clear. I know it wouldn't happen, but that would be a very clear message.

Well they won't so we can pretty much stop there haha

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
I'm really bored of all this crap and in general, I don't really mind Business of Hockey talk, but I'm growing really tired of it all. I haven't been paying attention to the lockout, but I'm sure as soon as games start up again, I'll watch.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I am older this time around then last lockout where I got my hopes up so much and etc.

Right now I don't care if there's no season and it might even be in Leafs best interest if there isn't in terms of getting another top pick.

I'm also not angry at anyone really, this is a entertainment, an addictive one at that.

I stopped watching baseball for years now, but after Blue Jays off season, I actually can't wait for Jays which I have NEVER experienced that feeling even when i was watching.

Actually it's been nice and relaxing not caring when hockey will be back. Doesn't mean I lost one bit of my love/passion for the game and leafs though, only relating to the lockout.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
i have this argument with a lot of people, those "millionare" players aren't the ones that there fighting for. And being a professional athlete isn't easy, you know that second when you ask yourself "should i go to the gym or should i sit here and get drunk" well they dont have that luxury. Sure it takes a long time to become a doctor, but i would guess athletes spend more time at there craft then doctors.

There's only so much ice available and you can only work out so much in a day. I can't imagine they spend more than 2-5 hours "working" on an average day.

And when you consider the rest of us have to pay for gym memberships and pay to play sports and spend our own time to enjoy them, even more sympathy evaporates.

And who else are they fighting for by the way? It's not like they're demanding wage increases for security and pop-corn sellers.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Seriously? I'd trade drinking and all that for a chance to play professional hockey, any day. They don't have that "luxury"? I guess the millions they've made in their career doesn't provide enough luxury?

What a terrible argument that was. I hope you're being sarcastic.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
All the press and breaking news coming from TSN is so pointless now, everyone knows that a season is impossible now.
I have the hockey page on TSN's site saved to favourites. Of late, I've been reading the title of the main article and going straight to the MLB page. Much more enjoyable...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well I can tell you first hand as one that was lucky enough to witness Leafs last Cup in 1967 live during its occurrence, and those memories are fading fast of past glories 45 years ago..

That following the team loyally from that year to all the ones present, its becoming increasingly trying with each passing year. Hard to tell if its now the duration of team failure over decades, or the current team establishing new records of failure in the present effecting emotions the most now leading to frustration or disappointment.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
There's only so much ice available and you can only work out so much in a day. I can't imagine they spend more than 2-5 hours "working" on an average day.

And when you consider the rest of us have to pay for gym memberships and pay to play sports and spend our own time to enjoy them, even more sympathy evaporates.

And who else are they fighting for by the way? It's not like they're demanding wage increases for security and pop-corn sellers.

Because they never had to do any of these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad