It’s too late

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Rather than pretend grit and physicality doesn’t matter or that the Refs all of a sudden will find their whistles in a playoff series, just accept the observation from O’Neill.

We are soft. Even with Komarov (who will play).

We hope it doesn’t matter.

The good news is that O’Neill can’t predict the future anymore than we can. So let the games begin and play out as it may.

Reactions: coupe93 and Kyle92

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Leafs have another gear. I've seen it. You guys have seen it. More importantly Tampa and Boston have seen it and are secretly pretty worried.

Does that guarantee victory? No. We need Andersen to be at his best and a little luck but I have faith we'll get enough of both.

Sofa king stoked for round 1. Bumble bee suits or Leafs knockoff jerseys - doesn't matter. Bring it!

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I feel that this comes up a lot and the standard response generally is "Well Chicago/Pittsburgh..."

yah. well Chicago/Pittsburgh.
they are fast, and skilled and very offensively gifted, but they also had (have) some pieces that when necessary could make you regret some decisions. (either just how they played, or by their fists). and if they didn't have it, they went out and got it.

I feel around these parts people just assume when people go "we need to get tougher" they flashback to Orr and McLaren (heck or even Martin who just didn't translate well here, sadly). But there are a lot of players out there who can be skilled and tough. It would be nice to have that kind of 'two way' play so to speak. sort of like a higher end Domi, or a Tucker-esque player (i think these days they call him Thachuk).

with that being said - I feel (personally) the Leafs have been relatively coasting the last few weeks, (to stave off injury), and Ifeel they can be a lot 'tougher' to play against. We've seen this activate on a dime several times this season (and for the whole playoff run last year). I do think how we lose (if we lose teehee) will be 'addressed' in some fashion. Not in a total "we need to get Clarkson!!!" kind of way but just having some other options who are also skilled and fast.

it doesn't have to be one or the other, there could be a very awesome shade of grey available here too.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why folks think having either Komarov or Martin and their physically will make any difference in the playoffs. Leafs will advance/or not advance by the ability to clearing the puck out of own zone successfully.

Like any team, regular season or playoffs, getting hemmed in own zone leads to opponents scoring chances and penalities.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not worried about this year as I don't think they'll get far anyway.

I'm not worried about the future either as I think they'll add some skilled size along the way. Big doesn't mean without skill ask Mario and Jagr or Matthews / Laine. Engvall and Korshov could add some size, and not be old school neanderthals. Grundstrom can add some sandpaper and brings skill. Now size doesn't mean toughness, but it takes more energy to pound a 6'3", 220 pounder than it does a 5'10", 180 pounder, size isn't a dirty word.

Going to get there step by step.

We're only in year 4 of the rebuild, so have some patience we could have Burke running the show.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Physicality has its purposes but if you people seriously think that's whats important in the playoffs, you're mistaken. The three S's: Skill (obviously), speed (transition), smarts (proper possession system) win today's game. All the teams that have won recently: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, LA, etc have those 3 in common.

Don't change your game to match the other team, make the other team try to match your game.

This needs more emphasis. Let Boston and Tampa worry about matching our skill.

Ahhh beat me too it, 100% agree.

Our high volume of speed and skill is incredible- the last thing we should be trying to do is slow our play style down in order to conform with a perception of what playoff hockey is- no team that has ever done that and won.

I'm in the 100% agree camp. Babcock said something like this a long time ago, can't remember the exact quote but it was about matching up and along the lines of when you get good enough, the other teams have to worry about matching up with you.

Let's hope we're there now. How are teams planning on stopping Matthews and Marner, not to mention Nylander, Kadri etc.? It's not going to be easy so good luck to y'all is all I can say. :)

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jeff O’Neill, the TV commentator/analyst, opined that the Leafs has “no pyhsicality’ and that this needed to change or they would be physically crushed in the playoffs. This on the Toronto-Winnipeg telecast last Saturday.

But it’s too late-there is no fix. And please, coach, don’t insert Leo Komarov in again, because he has a “wide body” (his quote) and because he is a defensive presence. The Leafs are a run and gun team and that is our identity. That fourth line with Kapanen and Johnsson on the wings maintains that purity, that blinding speed, the four lines rolled out. How different a dynamic with Komarov in there, I can feel the whole team sag, slow down.

Jeff O’Neill articulates the Leafs looming playoff crisis, can they with-stand the physical pounding as opponents focus on their frailty. A slow ‘wide body’ will do nothing to change that. Nor will Matt Martins presence-the only remedy isthe continued willingness of Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Dermott etc., to take the pounding, or to personify the saying “you can’t hit what you can’t catch”.

I know I don’t have the insider knowledge, I know there is much I am not aware of, and maybe I’m delusional, but is it possible to succeed in the heavy hitting ‘refs let it all go’ cauldron that is the NHL playoffs with the offensive dynamo that the Leafs of late have evolved into?

I believe also Leafs lack of team toughness could very well spell their demise, so I tend to agree with o'Neill assessment of Leafs known weakness..

Teams that are big and strong and physical as well as fast and skilled can play the game any you want like Bruins and Jets etc and as such could use that toughness factor to their advantage to impose their will on the Leafs.

The playoffs get tougher and tighter checking and Leafs game is speed and skill alone which is the components that come under that most pressure as scoring comes down and defense comes to the forefront of successful teams.

Reactions: coupe93 and Kyle92

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Ask yourself who would you rather face in round one? I'm sure the majority answer is Tampa. The reason is they play a lot like us. A skilled team can win it all. I don't believe we're ready for that yet. We aren't deep enough and Freddy isn't playing like he was earlier. Eventually I believe we can be that team. Just not yet. Hope I'm wrong.....

Reactions: stuart5035

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I believe also Leafs lack of team toughness could very well spell their demise, so I tend to agree with o'Neill assessment of Leafs known weakness..

Teams that are big and strong and physical as well as fast and skilled can play the game any you want like Bruins and Jets etc and as such could use that toughness factor to their advantage to impose their will on the Leafs.

The playoffs get tougher and tighter checking and Leafs game is speed and skill alone which is the components that come under that most pressure as scoring comes down and defense comes to the forefront of successful teams.

To add, it’s not a one game series.

Multiple games, little rest. The hits thrown in game 1 can become stiffness and aches as the series progress. Not at all advocating hitting to hurt. The simple fact is that it’s called a grind for a reason.

Two evenly matched teams and one is fresh and the other ailing... it’s a difference maker.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Colour me surprised at this take.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Weren't the Detroit red wings a soft team when they were winning cups and making a tremendous playoff streak?

Yep too many people buy into don Cherry type rants too often.

Odog complaining about toughness today tomorrow he will be complaining komarov is back in and we aren't as fast. probably the worst panelist/analyst on both networks by a long way. He has the attention span of a brain damaged goldfish

edit: great on overdrive though, as long as he is just shooting the shit.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Weren't the Detroit red wings a soft team when they were winning cups and making a tremendous playoff streak?

Not sure which version you note but there is also the version that was routinely getting knocked out of the first round

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am more than fine with this being soft if they are hard to play against. It doesn't bother me at all. Not sure why people take it as an insult when people say the Leafs are soft.

Some teams have won with heavy lineups and some teams have won with soft lineups. It's almost like it doesn't matter. What matters is that you score more goals than the opponent.

I'll take a soft team that makes the playoffs and wins regularly any day of the week as opposed to a tough one that can't win.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We have a good PP. Besides you gave to catch us to hit us. Winnipeg got away with a lot last Sat. Pundits shouldn't base playoff predictions on how refs called one game, and how Leafs Played 3rd game in 4 nights. Not worried.

Once again - catching the Leafs in their own end won't be too difficult if they don't manage the puck properly.

Their entire right side (Hainsey, Zaitsev, Carrick/Polak) are pretty poor at zone exits.

Don't get the puck out, invite the forecheck, get pounded, and eventually you just get grinded down as the series goes on - it's literally what the Caps did to beat us last season.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I absolute love O'Dog, but not for his game analysis.

He's great at giving the player's perspective, has a great sense of humour and tells a pretty mean story. If I want a game broken down though, I'll take Ray over O'Dog any day.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yep too many people buy into don Cherry type rants too often.

Odog complaining about toughness today tomorrow he will be complaining komarov is back in and we aren't as fast. probably the worst panelist/analyst on both networks by a long way. He has the attention span of a brain damaged goldfish

edit: great on overdrive though, as long as he is just shooting the ****.
I 2nd your O'Dog rant. Great comic relief on the panel but just not a good analyst.
He tries way to hard to find the hot takes of the day.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not sure which version you note but there is also the version that was routinely getting knocked out of the first round
Even that team though old and long in the tooth still made for tough outs But alas all dynasties fall in time which doesn't negate their accomplishments.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I am more than fine with this being soft if they are hard to play against. It doesn't bother me at all. Not sure why people take it as an insult when people say the Leafs are soft.

Some teams have won with heavy lineups and some teams have won with soft lineups. It's almost like it doesn't matter. What matters is that you score more goals than the opponent.

I'll take a soft team that makes the playoffs and wins regularly any day of the week as opposed to a tough one that can't win.

It's because they're not a soft team, a soft team is a team that gets pushed out of a game because they can't handle a rough and tough team, which obviously the Leafs can and have shown for 2 seasons now.

Soft teams are easy to play against, that's not the Leafs.

The Leafs play a skilled in your face game, and they just keep coming no matter who they're playing against. That's why they play so much of the game in the most dangerous part of the ice and generate a lot of offence from there. Soft teams don't do that.
___

The real problem that makes it looks like 'heavy teams' give the Leafs problems is that our defence needs serious work. We have the worst right side in the entire NHL on the back-end, and fixing that will go a long way to stop the 'getting leaned on by a heavy team' derpness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad