ISS Top 30 for March

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Where did Torquato end up for the March ranking? Has his stock increased at all with his trade to Erie? He is getting to play a TON of minutes, and has been thrust into a leadership role, as well. Kinda curious if the extra ice time has helped his stock or highlighted his weaknesses.
Any info would be appreciated.

We have Torquato ranked early in the second round. Trade to Erie has given him more ice time and allowed him to use his good offensive skills. We'd like him to show more grit though. We think his performance would improve if he applied himself better.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
How about David Perron, how could you have taken him out of the first round? he is scoring way more since your last update and I think he is now first in rookie scoring, although he has played alot more games then Vorachek

Couple things. Points are not the only tool scouts use to evaluate talent. Scouting is not simply measuring who scores the most points in their draft year. Scouts also have to project how they think that player will do in the NHL. Age is also a factor. Perron is 18 and is being compared to 17-year-olds for the most part in this draft class. One thing working in his favour though, is he is a major junior rookie. Doing what he is doing as an 18-year-old in his first season in the QMJHL is a little more impressive than a sophomore doing it.

Besides, Perron is still ranked #31. He didn't fall that far.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Any news about Backlund ?

Last year some people was saying he was better then Backstrom...

I can't comment on anybody saying he was better than Backstrom. It wasn't us, though. We did have him ranked as a top 10 pick for the 2007 draft last season. His injury woes have affected his performance and cost him development time. He needs to prove that he's kept pace with the other top guys.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Justin McCrae-where is he ranked?

I really feel that He will be a very good 3rd line player in the NHL. He has great speed, leadership qualities and is a decent offensive player. I remember when he was 14 and drafted from the Calgary area into the WHL by the Blades in the first round. The first thing I did was look at his point totals as many people do and wondered why the Blades didn't take his teammate Tyler Swystun who had over 100 pts compared to McCrae's 50 or so. Well I think the decision is clear to many that McCrae has a complete game and I really can't think of one thing he excel's at but I can't think of one single weakness either. This year he has 49 pts in about 55 games playing on one of the CHL's worst teams in Saskatoon. The team doesn't even have a 19 yr old player on it this year which is somewhat unheard of. If he was on a stronger team I would venture to guess that would garner him 20-25 more pts possibly and pts aren't even his game.

Where is he ranked?

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
I really feel that He will be a very good 3rd line player in the NHL. He has great speed, leadership qualities and is a decent offensive player. I remember when he was 14 and drafted from the Calgary area into the WHL by the Blades in the first round. The first thing I did was look at his point totals as many people do and wondered why the Blades didn't take his teammate Tyler Swystun who had over 100 pts compared to McCrae's 50 or so. Well I think the decision is clear to many that McCrae has a complete game and I really can't think of one thing he excel's at but I can't think of one single weakness either. This year he has 49 pts in about 55 games playing on one of the CHL's worst teams in Saskatoon. The team doesn't even have a 19 yr old player on it this year which is somewhat unheard of. If he was on a stronger team I would venture to guess that would garner him 20-25 more pts possibly and pts aren't even his game.

Where is he ranked?

For March, we have him ranked in bottom half of the second round.
One thing you have to keep in mind with McRae is his late birthday. This is his third year of major junior and as such he's held to a higher standard. Really, for comparison purposes, we're comparing what he did last year to what 17-year-old kids are doing this year. In some ways, it can be an advantage because it allows you to see how the player develops in an important season. You often see a big surge in development in major junior players from their 17-year-old season to their 18 year-old season.

http://whl.ca/en/stats/player.php?id=24050

andimgone

Mar 19, 2004
I can't open that file because I'm computer illiterate. Can someone post those stats please? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

U-18 Team

Name | GP | G | A | PTS | PIM | PPG | SHG | GWG | Pts./ Gm.
James vanRiemsdyk | 42 | 33 | 30 | 63 | 81 | 11 | 2 | 6 | 1.5
Colin Wilson | 49 | 25 | 37 | 62 | 49 | 6 | 1 | 1 | 1.3
Ryan Hayes | 48 | 19 | 28 | 47 | 84 | 7 | 0 | 2 | 1.0
Jimmy Hayes | 47 | 22 | 20 | 42 | 39 | 7 | 0 | 2 | 0.9
Kevin Shattenkirk | 48 | 12 | 22 | 34 | 60 | 4 | 2 | 5 | 0.7
John Albert | 47 | 10 | 23 | 33 | 12 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 0.7
Matt Rust | 48 | 12 | 17 | 29 | 77 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 0.6
Mike Hoeffel | 44 | 16 | 7 | 23 | 28 | 6 | 1 | 0 | 0.5
Ian Cole | 49 | 4 | 16 | 20 | 57 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0.4
Cade Fairchild | 40 | 3 | 16 | 19 | 40 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0.5
Teddy Ruth | 39 | 5 | 11 | 16 | 64 | 3 | 0 | 1 | 0.4
C.J. Severyn | 48 | 6 | 10 | 16 | 50 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0.3
Jordan Schroeder | 12 | 7 | 8 | 15 | 4 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 1.3
Brennan Vargas | 48 | 5 | 9 | 14 | 28 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0.3
Justin Vaive | 49 | 8 | 6 | 14 | 69 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 0.3
Joseph Lavin | 41 | 2 | 8 | 10 | 40 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0.2
Richard Manley | 33 | 2 | 7 | 9 | 37 | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0.3
A.J. Sturges | 48 | 3 | 6 | 9 | 44 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0.2
Mike Cieslak | 48 | 3 | 4 | 7 | 24 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0.1
Ryan Schnell | 30 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 40 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0.1
Vinny Saponari | 12 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 0 | 0 c 0 | 0
Ryan Grimshaw | 11 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
Tommy Cross | 6 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
Brad Phillips | 24 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0.0
Josh Unice | 26 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0.0
Ryan McKiernan | 8 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
Michael Clemente | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0

GOALTENDERS | GP | W | L | OTL/Tie | SO | GA | Saves | GAA | Save %
Brad Phillips | 24 | 15 | 5 | 0/2 | 2 | 56 | 588 | 2.33 | 0.913
Josh Unice | 26 | 16 | 7 | 1/1 | 3 | 77 | 586 | 2.96 | 0.884
Michael Clemente | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 26 | 2.00 | 0.929

Bégin is the bestest*

ISS, can you explain why Keven Veilleux isn't in the top 30? and what's his rank? i liked him at the game with Bergeron, Burns, Demers and Bowman as the coaches but i don't see him in the top 30 and now i'm not sure if i still want the habs to draft him in the first round.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS, can you explain why Keven Veilleux isn't in the top 30? and what's his rank? i liked him at the game with Bergeron, Burns, Demers and Bowman as the coaches but i don't see him in the top 30 and now i'm not sure if i still want the habs to draft him in the first round.

Veilleux has dropped to mid-second round.

He simply hasn't stepped up as we expected. He needs to play with more intensity. Needs to compete along the wall and use his size to his advantage. Skating is just average due to slow first couple of steps – a tough player to contain once he gets moving. Has the size and skill to be a dominant forward, needs to use it on a more consistent basis.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
ISS- Alzner seems like the type of player who will start to drop a little in the rankings as we approach draft day. What are your thoughts on him? Could Ellerby or Plante pass him in the rankings based upon higher upside?

skg

Jul 29, 2005
ISS - How would you rate the power forward potential of this draft? Which ones might be available late first, early second? Thanks.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
To add to the ISS question queue, since the Coyotes seem to be pencilled in to take Voracek (with Kane and Turris going 1-2), what about Jakub does ISS like so much to rank him 1st overall? The more detail, the better.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS- Alzner seems like the type of player who will start to drop a little in the rankings as we approach draft day. What are your thoughts on him? Could Ellerby or Plante pass him in the rankings based upon higher upside?

I'm not sure we agree with you that Alzner shows indications of dropping in our rankings. A couple things to keep in mind with Alzner. He is 18 and in his third year of major junior so despite the fact that he improved his offensive numbers immensely this season over his first two years, we don't rate him highly because we think he's got a lot of offensive upside. The thing we like about Alzner is he's a very safe pick. He's very steady and doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in his game, save a lack of physical play. He is still very good defensively however. We have a profile of Alzner up on our website. Check it out. www.isshockey.com

As for Ellerby or Plante passing him, sure, that's possible. All it takes is for one team to disagree with us and draft either of them before Alzner goes.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS - How would you rate the power forward potential of this draft? Which ones might be available late first, early second? Thanks.

Power forwards, eh? There's a definition that has changed since the hey-days of Rick Tocchet, Gary Roberts, Kevin Stevens and a younger Keith Tkachuk.

Power forwards nowadays seem to regarded as guys who are able to use size or strength to generate their scoring opportunities.

As far as power forwards go, I would characterize it the same way as the rest of the draft. Not that great, few standout guys, but some decent depth in that there isn't a lot of separation or a quick drop off once you get past the top 10 or so.

Guys like vanRiemsyk, Aliu, Veilleux and Brandon Sutter come to mind in the first round. Veilleux needs to use his size more, Sutter definitely plays like a power forward, but needs to bulk up. vanRiemsdyk, has the most potential. Aliu is a bit of a wildcard, but as Paul Holmgren was quoted recently as saying: "It's easier to put out fires than light them" or words to that effect. Gillies has lots of power to his game, but the scoring is not there yet. He's a great skater, but to be a power forward, you need to score, otherwise you're a checker.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
To add to the ISS question queue, since the Coyotes seem to be pencilled in to take Voracek (with Kane and Turris going 1-2), what about Jakub does ISS like so much to rank him 1st overall? The more detail, the better.

First, may I refer you to a profile I wrote that is on our website? The one called Determination Drives Voracek. www.isshockey.com. If you still have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How far do you think Van Riemsdyk can fall? I'm liking what I'm hearing from the kid and he's a LW a position that there's not a lot of depth on for the Habs. Perhaps, they should look into trading up to get him.

jockstrap

Mar 23, 2007
ISS who would u say has the most upside in this draft (center, winger, defensmen, goalie) thnx

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
First, may I refer you to a profile I wrote that is on our website? The one called Determination Drives Voracek. www.isshockey.com. If you still have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, There isn't much info on Bill Sweatt but many comparisons have been made to Fredrik Sjostrom some even call him a Sjostrom clone? Is there any truth to this, if so, could you possibly give a bit of info about him? :) Thanks.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
As unimpressed as I have been with Tyson Sexsmith in certain areas of his game, I'd be absolutely shocked if he was the 6th goalie or lower taken. He'll be a top 5 goalie pick.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
How far do you think Van Riemsdyk can fall? I'm liking what I'm hearing from the kid and he's a LW a position that there's not a lot of depth on for the Habs. Perhaps, they should look into trading up to get him.

I don't think you can expect vanRiemsdyk to fall to the No. 12. If he did, that would be a steal for the Habs, much like Anze Kopitar was for the Kings when they got him at No. 11 in 2005.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
ISS,

Where do you see Eller and Backlund going? Could the be there for the Caps 2nd pick (assuming they keep it, think it's anywhere from 25 - 30)

thanks

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS who would u say has the most upside in this draft (center, winger, defensmen, goalie) thnx

Not trying to be evasive here, just would like to explain our rankings. When we rank a guy high it usually means we think he has a lot of upside. We're not predicting how the draft will go, or rating how good the players are now. We're predicting how good they will be in the NHL in four or five years once they've completed most of their development.

Having said that, there are a few guys that are ranked higher because we think they are more of a sure thing. Some guys that are ranked lower have some upside, but need to work on a few things to really tap into their potential.

So, here are some thoughts.

Voracek (RW): This kid has something you can't teach. He has a hunger for the puck, wants to make things happen and has the skill to do it. When he is paired with good finishers, he creates offence almost at will. Our scouts think he might already be the best player in the QMJHL and not just our top prospect in the draft.

Kane (RW): Great skill in a small package, if he adds strength, it will make him faster and tougher to knock off the puck. That's bad news for OHL defenceman and good news for the team that drafts him.

Turris (C): This kid's the real deal, according to his coach Rick Lanz (yes, the former NHLer). Great skater, great offensive skills (especially his shot), but he is skinny. He's on a special diet to add weight and that will be one of focus when he goes to Wisconsin adding weight and strength.

Gagner (C): Our OHL correspondent sees something special in him. Really likes his leadership. Thinks he will be a great one. Remember, he's been beset by injuries this year and is a year younger than Kane.

Defencemen: Alzner is more of a safe pick than a guy with huge upside. For upside, look to guys like Ellerby (great skater), Plante or Blum. There are lot of defencemen in this draft with upside even going down as far as No. 58 on our list for a guy like Ryan McDonagh. With defencemen, it's harder to judge upside because they take longer to develop so some guys can come from a long way back and surprise you. Case in point: Shea Weber, he was never drafted by a WHL team. Signed as a free agent and blossomed late after Nashville nabbed him in the second round, 49th overall in 2003.

Goalies: What can I say, not a great year for goalies. We have no goalies ranked in our first round which means we don't think any of them have the potential to be a No. 1 at the NHL right now. Having said that, goalies are another breed that take longer to develop and can surprise you, so take a look at our top eight guys or so and keep an eye on them. What you see over the next year or two will tell you a lot about where they'll end up. A guy like Steve Mason was taken in the third round last year but didn't really get a chance to prove himself with London. Now, we can safely say Columbus got a steal.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS,

Where do you see Eller and Backlund going? Could the be there for the Caps 2nd pick (assuming they keep it, think it's anywhere from 25 - 30)

thanks

Honestly, we really haven't started working on our mock draft yet. We'll probably start that in May and unveil it in our NHL draft guide.

If I had to guess right now, I would say Eller will be there, but Backlund might not, especially if he has a good world under-18 tournament and proves his injury woes are behind him. It will also depend on the final draft order, which won't be determined until the playoffs are over.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad