ISS top 30 for January

Duff88

May 7, 2002
LOL, but thats something I already knew, I was hoping Ottawa would draft him, so he and Emery could be a good goalie tandem and singing duo...

Emery Rap ... http://emeryrap.ytmnd.com/

Too bad the backround singers suck...

Pretty good reason to want your team to draft a player... I don't know much about him, but I'd like to know if this kind of things affect the ranking of a player and if scouts mention it during the interviews with the player.

Tony_S*

Pretty good reason to want your team to draft a player... I don't know much about him, but I'd like to know if this kind of things affect the ranking of a player and if scouts mention it during the interviews with the player.
He is a good goalie too though...

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
A player I'm curious about is Luke Schenn of the Kelowna Rockets. About this time last year he was being talked up as an outside shot of making the first round, and now I see he's not even listed on the CSB 9 Round Rankings. Has his play fallen off that badly? Or is it that Kelowna is such a brutal team this season that no one is getting out to watch him? I honestly haven't seen a better bodychecker at his age in years.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
A player I'm curious about is Luke Schenn of the Kelowna Rockets. About this time last year he was being talked up as an outside shot of making the first round, and now I see he's not even listed on the CSB 9 Round Rankings. Has his play fallen off that badly? Or is it that Kelowna is such a brutal team this season that no one is getting out to watch him? I honestly haven't seen a better bodychecker at his age in years.

Schenn is not eligible until 2008. :)

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Hi, ISS! What is the current ranking of Kriss Grundmanis? Is any other Latvian player ranked for 2007? E.g., Kaspars Saulietis (he's 20 years old though, playing in WHL)

We had him ranked in the top 100 earlier this season, but he's dropped out. There's a lot of things we like about his game, but his skating is not very good. He needs more agility and mobility even though he is big and likes to play physical. That's not enough anymore with the new rules.

Overagers are not eligible for the draft. They must be signed as free agents.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wow, the ISS actually replies to us in this thread?

I'm looking for a bit more information on Anton Glovatsky, where do you think he will be drafted and will it be effected by the fact there is no deal yet between the NHL and Russia?

What's his assets and weaknesses?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Where do you guys at ISS see Casey Pierro-Zabotel going? CSS has him in the nA skater grouping as a potential 3rd rounder...Surely that can't reflect just a bias put down just because he only plays in the BCHL because obviously that hasn't eliminated Turris from top 3-8 first round consideration on most scouting rankings I've seen...nor can it just be an age bias in favour of Turris (he's 10 minths younger than Zabotel--because Kane being an "old" '89 hasn't hurt his rankingings compared to some of the younger '89 CHL'ers...so my question is--despite Casey Pierro -Zabotel now being 2nd in BCHL scoring as an 18 year old --is their some flaw in his game that prevents him from being a late first rounder or early 2nd rounder? For instance --Travis Zajac was taken 20th overall in 2004 from the BCHL--so isn't Pierro-Zabotel comparable to him (both about the same size though Zajac is a centre) --so why did CSS have Pierro-Zabotel so far down in the 70's for NA skaters? does ISS see him as going a lot higher? Is skating the issue -because certainly it can't be scoring ability?

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Wow, the ISS actually replies to us in this thread?

I'm looking for a bit more information on Anton Glovatsky, where do you think he will be drafted and will it be effected by the fact there is no deal yet between the NHL and Russia?

What's his assets and weaknesses?

Anton saw very little ice time at the world junior and he's playing for Magnitogorsk Metallurg's High League team. That's not their top team in the RSL, but a step down I'm led to believe. If I'm wrong, I'm sure our Russian friends will correct me. We don't have Glovatsky ranked in our top 200 yet, but what we noticed from his effort in Sweden was that his skating needs to improve, it's average at best. He's also not a big player 5-11, 183 so you'd like to see some "wow" somewhere. He does have good puck skills and his a good stickhandler. Didn't create much offence.

Yes, the lack of an agreement between NHL and Russian Ice hockey Federation is a big factor. It might not be as much of a factor for the top end guys like Cherepanov, but for the lower rounds, teams might be less willing to spend a pick on a 17-year-old Russian. They can also draft these guys as 18 or 19 year olds after they've have a chance to watch them develop and get a better read on them.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Where do you guys at ISS see Casey Pierro-Zabotel going? CSS has him in the nA skater grouping as a potential 3rd rounder...Surely that can't reflect just a bias put down just because he only plays in the BCHL because obviously that hasn't eliminated Turris from top 3-8 first round consideration on most scouting rankings I've seen...nor can it just be an age bias in favour of Turris (he's 10 minths younger than Zabotel--because Kane being an "old" '89 hasn't hurt his rankingings compared to some of the younger '89 CHL'ers...so my question is--despite Casey Pierro -Zabotel now being 2nd in BCHL scoring as an 18 year old --is their some flaw in his game that prevents him from being a late first rounder or early 2nd rounder? For instance --Travis Zajac was taken 20th overall in 2004 from the BCHL--so isn't Pierro-Zabotel comparable to him (both about the same size though Zajac is a centre) --so why did CSS have Pierro-Zabotel so far down in the 70's for NA skaters? does ISS see him as going a lot higher? Is skating the issue -because certainly it can't be scoring ability?

Well a ranking is different than a mock draft. We've had Pierro-Zabotel ranked in the second round since his strong effort at world junior A challenge in November. We like his edge, his willingness to battle in high-traffic areas and his good hands. As for where and when we think he'll be drafted, we'll get into that more in our final NHL draft preview when we do a mock draft, but he's the kind of guy NHL teams love. We could see someone taking a liking to him and nabbing him late first, early second. Not predicting this, just saying it's possible.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Uh? I think he is currently playing with Magnitogorsk first team in the RSL.. scored a goal quite recently if i am not wrong and he had an assist last week.

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me how a player could make the Russian WJC team and not be on the first team. And what I seen from him in the WJC was great stick handling and some good speed, I thought he looked kind of like Grabovski out there.

fanofthegame

Dec 6, 2006
ISS, any word on where the other BCHL prospects might go? Jamie Benn( 35 goals), Riley Nash, Ben Winnett? Do you have these guys ranked?

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Yeah, it didn't make sense to me how a player could make the Russian WJC team and not be on the first team. And what I seen from him in the WJC was great stick handling and some good speed, I thought he looked kind of like Grabovski out there.

It's possible he was promoted since the beginning of the season. The scouting report I quoted said his team was Magnitogorsk Metallurg-2. I thought that meant their second-tier team in the High League.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
ISS, I see there is a weak goalie crop this year, or so they say, but has there been much change in the goalie rankings since the midterm #'s came out?? I'm especially wondering about Cann, Sexsmith, Lafleur and the German kid, Timo Pelmeier(who I assume you have limited viewing of)....thanks! :)
-Matt.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Alright Mr (or Mrs) ISS,

I see that you don't have any players from the Minnesoata State High School League, indeed you only have one Minnesotan at all. Potentially I guess a case could be made that this is a down year for Minnesota. I would say that frequently, players outside of the CHL do appear to get less attention that those in the CHL get. Even so, the MNHSL has regularly placed placed kids at the top of the draft over the top several years...maybe a dozen in the last several years. Now I understand that a Fischer, Oshie, etc. may sneak up on many during the year...but I would think top scouting services would be in tune with prospects that were likely to surface in the last months before the draft. Regardless of services, we do know that these are the types of picks that NHL scouts are very in tune with based on draft selections the past several years.

But my question is...where are players like White, Hansen, potential league record breaker Sacchetti...or really any top defensive prospect in the state at all?

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
ISS, I see there is a weak goalie crop this year, or so they say, but has there been much change in the goalie rankings since the midterm #'s came out?? I'm especially wondering about Cann, Sexsmith, Lafleur and the German kid, Timo Pelmeier(who I assume you have limited viewing of)....thanks! :)
-Matt.

Well, we don't have mid-term rankings. We put out rankings every month. Cann has been pretty steady near the top. Sexsmith around the middle of the pack. Lafleur is rising fast and Pelmeier not in our top 10 goalies yet, but I'll look into him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad