ISS Top 15 for February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Kyle Chipchura said:
Rabid Ranger, I officially name you HFBoards' #1 defender of every American prospect.
Hi, I am Canadian. Toews before Kessel is ridiculous. But then again, most people prefer Trevor Linden to Mike Modano. :shakehead

And we as Canadians sometimes forget that players are given deference by nationality. Rabid Ranger might provide the foil, sometimes to a fault, but is right in a lot of cases.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kyle Chipchura said:
Rabid Ranger, I officially name you HFBoards' #1 defender of every American prospect.

Cue the Star Spangled Banner! ;)

* I have never defended Jason Bonsignore, Ty Jones, or Scott Lachance! :teach:

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
George Bachul said:
Hi, I am Canadian. Toews before Kessel is ridiculous.

There is no debate to have here, really. I wasn't intending to say I agreed with the original poster (gibber1600). In fact, I would pick Kessel over Toews any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I just find it funny that Rabid Ranger seems to make a "must-do" of defending every prospect from the US. Most of the time, he has every reason to do so, but I just find it funny that he'll always be the first poster to let you know of his disagreement.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
George Bachul said:
Hi, I am Canadian. Toews before Kessel is ridiculous. But then again, most people prefer Trevor Linden to Mike Modano. :shakehead

And we as Canadians sometimes forget that players are given deference by nationality. Rabid Ranger might provide the foil, sometimes to a fault, but is right in a lot of cases.

That is actually an extremely good analogy. Same types of players, same nationalities. :clap:

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Kessel will be an exciting player to watch, but Toews looks like he will be a more effective player overall. I can see why scouts rate him higher ... just wait until Toews fills out his frame.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kyle Chipchura said:
There is no debate to have here, really. I wasn't intending to say I agreed with the original poster (gibber1600). In fact, I would pick Kessel over Toews any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I just find it funny that Rabid Ranger seems to make a "must-do" of defending every prospect from the US. Most of the time, he has every reason to do so, but I just find it funny that he'll always be the first poster to let you know of his disagreement.

The main reason I do it is because prospects-wise, I am most familiar with American players. It's not that I'm trying to downgrade prospects from other countries to prop up Americans, but instead point out inaccurate statements that have been made about "x" prospect (such as Kessel). Since I follow American prospects very closely, and see a lot of NCAA hockey (the primary source of American hockey talent) I feel I'm somewhat qualified to raise my voice.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Nash said:
Kessel will be an exciting player to watch, but Toews looks like he will be a more effective player overall. I can see why scouts rate him higher ... just wait until Toews fills out his frame.

Based on what? Kessel is exciting AND productive. As for scouts rating Toews higher, which scouting service besides ISS has done that? How much Gopher hockey do you see, or are you going by the WJC's?

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
The world juniors allows the players to complete against the best players in the world in there age group, not against the 90% of NCAA players that won't make the pros and were not good enough to play in the premier junior leagues in Canada.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
gibber1600 said:
The world juniors allows the players to complete against the best players in the world in there age group, not against the 90% of NCAA players that won't make the pros and were not good enough to play in the premier junior leagues in Canada.

Wow, im sure others will comment further but simply wow. the level of play in the NCAA is significantly higher then that of the CHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gibber1600 said:

gibberish.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
Any player (and there agent) that thinks they have a shot at the pros, other than most american born players choose to play in the CHL. Generally if a player is good, but not quite good enough to play MAJOR Junior hockey in Canada, they try to get into a U.S college. All the best players in the world come to play here in Canada for development.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
gibber1600 said:
Any player (and there agent) that thinks they have a shot at the pros, other than most american born players choose to play in the CHL. Generally if a player is good, but not quite good enough to play MAJOR Junior hockey in Canada, they try to get into a U.S college. All the best players in the world come to play here in Canada for development.

Sometimes it's more a question of education. Players want to make sure they have a professional career ahead of them other than just the possibility of maybe getting to the pro level in hockey. It has nothing to do with talent IMO. And once for all, the skil level in the CHL is lesser than the NCAA, with players in the USA playing until 22 sometimes.

Last edited:

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
gibber1600 said:

I don't know about that. I live in Toronto, and go to St. Mike's games regularly and I can safely say that 90% of the players in any given OHL won't get drafted. Also, I think most agents probably know this.

I suspect part of the reason that an American like Bobby Ryan chooses to play in the OHL rather than to take the NCAA route is that he wants to make it to the NHL as soon as possible, rather than complete his senior year. Also, maybe he isn't gifted enough at academics?

Having said that, I find OHL games a bit more entertaining than the handful of NCAA games I've seen on the box. I'm proud that Canada is the birthplace and cradle of hockey, but other nations and leagues have a contribution to make as well.

One final thought: Kessel has superb skills, but I'd place a small wager that Toews will first of the two to win a cup.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
Kyle Chipchura said:
Sometimes it's more a question of education. Players want to make sure they have a professional career ahead of them other than just the possibility of maybe getting to the pro level in hockey. It has nothing to do with talent IMO. And once for all, the skil level in the CHL is lesser than the NCAA, with players in the USA playing until 22 sometimes.
Didn't Mike Modano play with the Prince ALbert Raiders. Why do you think he left Michigan or where ever he is from. They play 72 games in the Dub not 32. The structure is hockey first, school second in the CHL. In College it's the school first. Every year we throw together a team that beats the USDP teams, that play all year together. Are you going to tell that the CFL is better than the NFL? The players choose to play in the CFL, come on.

elnino724

Mar 8, 2006
Rabid Ranger said:
The main reason I do it is because prospects-wise, I am most familiar with American players. It's not that I'm trying to downgrade prospects from other countries to prop up Americans, but instead point out inaccurate statements that have been made about "x" prospect (such as Kessel). Since I follow American prospects very closely, and see a lot of NCAA hockey (the primary source of American hockey talent) I feel I'm somewhat qualified to raise my voice.

Yet you have no problem ripping prospects from other countries.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Rabid Ranger said:
gibberish.

I believe that Mr. T called it "jibber-jabber".

Nothing really to comment on here other than Lucas Lobsinger being in the "rising" category as I enjoy seeing him get some recognition for his play here in Mississauga. He's been hung out to dry night in and night out but has played much better since his first game coming over from Peterborough.

CH Wizard

MetalLeka said:
Is Jesse Joensuu totally gone and forgotten? :shakehead

His stock really went down. He didn't do much at the world juniors...I didn't see much offensive upside in him. He has a big frame...but wasn't even that much physical.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The Great One said:
His stock really went down. He didn't do much at the world juniors...I didn't see much offensive upside in him. He has a big frame...but wasn't even that much physical.
He does use his size well in one area, he seems to love to stand in front of the net and create a screen.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not sure why people are saying Kessel over Toews is a no-brainer. Toews has really come on and is quite a bit younger than Kessel. Being named the MVP of his region during the Frozen Four certainly will go along way.

Most of the latest scouting reports have Kessel and Toews very close, although most have Kessel ahead by a bit. Where Kessel has the better speed, Toews might be the more natural goal scorer.

It's a fair debate, as both are excellent prospects. I just don't see the rationale for getting offended at the idea Toews goes first, because there is a good chance it happens.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not sure why people are saying Kessel over Toews is a no-brainer. Toews has really come on and is quite a bit younger than Kessel. Being named the MVP of his region during the Frozen Four certainly will go along way.

Most of the latest scouting reports have Kessel and Toews very close, although most have Kessel ahead by a bit. Where Kessel has the better speed, Toews might be the more natural goal scorer.

It's a fair debate, as both are excellent prospects. I just don't see the rationale for getting offended at the idea Toews goes first, because there is a good chance it happens.

A very fair way of looking at things. I think Kessel's the better prospect but that doesn't mean "x" NHL team feels that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad