Isn't it ironic that..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Optimists might say that they might be trying to get into game shape for a possible start to the season. Perhaps, a way of having a longer training camp before the season starts up in a few weeks? They signed with a team in the Detroit area. Either they might want to stay close to home in order to be close to their families or to stay close for when the announcement of the season being saved is made, or perhaps both? :dunno:

I really don't know if I'm an optimist or a pessimist. At times, things seem incredibly bleak. But then I get to thinking that I just cannot see the players holding so firm to their side that they would allow this season to be cancelled. I have been supporting the players on most of the issues since September, but let's face the fact that by cancelling the season the players have so much to lose and so little to possibly gain. :banghead:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
jratelle19 said:
I really don't know if I'm an optimist or a pessimist. At times, things seem incredibly bleak. But then I get to thinking that I just cannot see the players holding so firm to their side that they would allow this season to be cancelled. I have been supporting the players on most of the issues since September, but let's face the fact that by cancelling the season the players have so much to lose and so little to possibly gain. :banghead:
the players have already lost 1 billion dollars, which means they have lost most of what they have to lose. by not capitulating, its not going to cost them much at this stage. however, its transfers the pain to the owners.

1) owners pay back all season ticket money
2) owners cant sell new season tickets for next year
3) sponsers take their business elsewhere
4) another year of not meeting lease and broadcast commitments
5) sydney crosby

the players are probably counting on the owners folding at the last minute when they realize the players are just as willing to play "scorched earth negotiating".

can the owners afford to take that chance ?

dr

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
hossy316 said:
..........Draper, Chelios, & Hatcher sign with the Motor City Mechanics of the UHL, a league which has, yep that's right,.......................a SALARY CAP!!

WTF??

Not at all....They agreed to sign under the terms that no Mechanics player gets cut, nor the team goes over the cap. There probably playing for $200/week. The
PA is not as bad as some of you paint it.

Most of the owners have other businesses..Is there a wage/salary cap at those businesses? hell no...

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
OilerFan4Life said:
Not at all....They agreed to sign under the terms that no Mechanics player gets cut, nor the team goes over the cap. There probably playing for $200/week. The

Most of the owners have other businesses..Is there a wage/salary cap at those businesses? hell no...

They are getting at least $600-$800/week, if not more.

X0ssbar

OilerFan4Life said:

That's the point here - players are willing to play in the UHL for $200 week yet snub a cap and an average salary of 1.3 - 1.7 mil in the NHL - for what - out of spite?

Its ludricrous, the players have no ground to stand in my mind when they show they are willing to play for peanuts in other salary capped leagues.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
That's the point here - players are willing to play in the UHL for $200 week yet snub a cap and an average salary of 1.3 - 1.7 mil in the NHL - for what - out of spite?

EXACTLY!! There is no need of it. Something needs to be done with the outlandish salaries. This (cap), to me, is the answer.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Red Wing 'hypocrites'

"It's a joke, literally a joke," (Kevin)Kerr said.

"Here they are, fighting the NHL for more money and they'll come down to our league and play for free. It makes no sense. They're a bunch of hypocrites. For one thing, I can't believe our league would even allow them to come in and play. Obviously, the NHL can't stop them from playing.

"I don't know much about the lockout, or what even they're arguing about, but for them to come down to our league, I think they're basically shooting themselves in the foot. They're showing they just want to play hockey, so they'll play for nothing. It's absolutely asinine."

"I can tell you this, not one guy on our team is going to give them any respect," Kerr said. "They'll be getting an earful from guys telling them how they feel about what they're doing down here. They're not going to get any sympathy from anybody around here."

:) :D :lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ry/LAC/20050202/LOCKOUT02/TPSports/TopStories

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Top Shelf said:

Its ludricrous, the players have no ground to stand in my mind when they show they are willing to play for peanuts in other salary capped leagues.

If they are lucky maybe one of these animals in the UHL will carve one of their eye's out. They are FRAUDS !!!

X0ssbar

DR said:
the players have already lost 1 billion dollars, which means they have lost most of what they have to lose. by not capitulating, its not going to cost them much at this stage. however, its transfers the pain to the owners.

5) sydney crosby

the players are probably counting on the owners folding at the last minute when they realize the players are just as willing to play "scorched earth negotiating".

dr

I think they are more than willing to take these chances than they are of staying the current course and having the very real chance of their franchises and perhaps the league fold.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:

5) sydney crosby

dr

Holy smokes, and who do you think is going to shoulder the brunt of the losses? It won't be the owners or the teams there Sparky. Its going to be the players. The league will just sit and wait and ram the deal down the throats of the players. They're playing nice right now. Imagine what they will do when they decide to get vindictive? What type of deal do you think is going to be put on the table in the future. Open your eyes. Which is better? 55% of $2 billion, or 50% of what ever is left when this finally gets resolved.

1) owners pay back all season ticket money... big whoop. They knew they would have to do this and most have been doing this already or been offering interest on the ticket money being held back.

2) owners cant sell new season tickets for next year... big whoop. They knew they would have to do this and most have been doing this already or been offering interest on the ticket money being held back.

3) sponsers take their business elsewhere... yup, and the players lose 55% of that as well.

4) another year of not meeting lease and broadcast commitments... and for most teams its still cheaper than continuing under the existing system or the one players have proposed.

5) sydney crosby... WTF does he have to do with anything? You expect the owners to sell out a $2 billion industry just to get one player into the league? You've said a lot of stupid things during this lockout, but this one takes the cake.

You think its "insulting" right now for the players? Wait until ALL of their salaries are cut in half because of the economics forced on the league because of this action. The owners are prepared for that reality, but I really don't think that has sunk in with the players yet. Yup, the players sure did think this one out well.

:shakehead

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Holy smokes, and who do you think is going to shoulder the brunt of the losses? It won't be the owners or the teams there Sparky. Its going to be the players. The league will just sit and wait and ram the deal down the throats of the players. They're playing nice right now. Imagine what they will do when they decide to get vindictive? What type of deal do you think is going to be put on the table in the future. Open your eyes. Which is better? 55% of $2 billion, or 50% of what ever is left when this finally gets resolved.

1) owners pay back all season ticket money... big whoop. They knew they would have to do this and most have been doing this already or been offering interest on the ticket money being held back.

2) owners cant sell new season tickets for next year... big whoop. They knew they would have to do this and most have been doing this already or been offering interest on the ticket money being held back.

3) sponsers take their business elsewhere... yup, and the players lose 55% of that as well.

4) another year of not meeting lease and broadcast commitments... and for most teams its still cheaper than continuing under the existing system or the one players have proposed.

5) sydney crosby... WTF does he have to do with anything? You expect the owners to sell out a $2 billion industry just to get one player into the league? You've said a lot of stupid things during this lockout, but this one takes the cake.

You think its "insulting" right now for the players? Wait until ALL of their salaries are cut in half because of the economics forced on the league because of this action. The owners are prepared for that reality, but I really don't think that has sunk in with the players yet. Yup, the players sure did think this one out well.

:shakehead

Anyone who thinks the players are losing less from this lockout than the owners needs to be put to sleep.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't wait to see the first game !!! There will be some definite gooning and carving on the first shift !! These UHL guys actually hit and they are as dirty as they come !! Not like the NHL were the only hit in the playoffs if then!! Their all HYPOCRITES and they don't care about their "Brothers" in the union. Look at Chelio's comments about the smaller market teams...fold and put 22 of his Brotherhood out of work !!!

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York

5) sydney crosby

You bring up a good point, and that thought had crossed my mind, as well. However, I believe that the effects of the season's cancellation, for the players, goes beyond just thinking "what's a couple more paychecks lost". First, I believe that the players who are making less than $1.5 million per season on their contracts would miss those few remaining checks more than the higher paid players in the league. Then, the feeling of betrayal by many fans after having an entire season cancelled will affect attendance more than some of us care to admit.

Most of the owners all have other business ventures which are more lucrative for them than hockey. That doesn't mean that they have less expenses than the players, as you pointed out. However, and I'm going by gut feeling only on this one, I really feel that the owners are more prepared to face losing next season as well, which could be a distinct possibility if this one is cancelled. That doesn't mean, necessarily that they are "willing" to lose the season, by any means. However, I do believe that they are more prepared to do so than the players.

Brent Burns Beard