Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
anyone notice this kid Debrusk in the playoffs? He has that burning desire to win. He is hungry and can skate. Try to identify these guys in every round in my humble opinion. Debrusk must take the sting somewhat off of not drafting Barzal.

True, and as much as Boston has been criticized for passing on Barzal, they not only got Debrusk in that draft, but Carlo as well, who's been a regular pretty much ever since.

The future of that draft may bring more as Boston had 3 firsts and 3 seconds. There's reason to doubt what will become of Senyshyn and Lauzon (well, they surely still have time), but Zboril had a really nice first AHL season as a kid who is projected to be a sound defense-first Dman. More importantly, the Bergeronesque Forsbacka-Karlsson had an even better rookie year in the AHL and is a kid who should also come in handy in the coming years.

We can continue to thank the hockey gods for Barzal, but by all intents and purposes, Boston is doing a heck of a lot more right than our franchise is.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
True, and as much as Boston has been criticized for passing on Barzal, they not only got Debrusk in that draft, but Carlo as well, who's been a regular pretty much ever since.

The future of that draft may bring more as Boston had 3 firsts and 3 seconds. There's reason to doubt what will become of Senyshyn and Lauzon (well, they surely still have time), but Zboril had a really nice first AHL season as a kid who is projected to be a sound defense-first Dman. More importantly, the Bergeronesque Forsbacka-Karlsson had an even better rookie year in the AHL and is a kid who should also come in handy in the coming years.

We can continue to thank the hockey gods for Barzal, but by all intents and purposes, Boston is doing a heck of a lot more right than our franchise is.

Boston is doing more because their front office isn't a dumpster fire. They certainly have a better scouting department and player development department as well.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Boston is doing more because their front office isn't a dumpster fire. They certainly have a better scouting department and player development department as well.

yeah, where they have a scouting dept and a player development dept we have extra closet space.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
Hey, sorry for the question but as a HV71 fan, I am wondering what the plan for Linus Söderström is for the next season? I understand he won't play for HV71 anymore but I am curious about his future. Loved him here in HV71.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Hey, sorry for the question but as a HV71 fan, I am wondering what the plan for Linus Söderström is for the next season? I understand he won't play for HV71 anymore but I am curious about his future. Loved him here in HV71.

Hopefully the plan is to start him in the AHL and ease him into NHL duty by next season. He should get called up when/if someone gets hurt, then by next season share starting duties with Thomas Greiss and eventually replace him. If all goes well he could end up being the Islanders starting goaltender by the end of the season. Right now the Islanders do not have a legitimate starting goaltender, and there aren't many options out there.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Gross interview with Cairns said Toews could win a job right out of camp. I would have thought Toews would need some time at Bridgeport but Isles don't seem to think so.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Gross interview with Cairns said Toews could win a job right out of camp. I would have thought Toews would need some time at Bridgeport but Isles don't seem to think so.
If they're counting on a rookie coming off an injury to fill a spot on the defense, then that is most definitely a gross interview. :eyeroll:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Off the top of my head, here is the list of players Cairns/Reasoner successfully developed:
Calvin de Haan (took forever)
Ryan Pulock (took forver, still TBD)
Adam Pelech (nothing to write home about)
Scott Mayfield (nothing to write home about)
Casey Cizikas (Love him, but nothing to write home about)
Matt Martin (Love him, but nothing to write home about)

Failures:
Every NA Goalie to come through the system (Bigly, haven't even produced a good AHL starter let alone an NHL backup)
Ryan Strome (Bigly)
Griffin Reinhart (Bigly)
Michael Dal Colle (still TBD, but Bigly)
Matt Donovan

Josh Ho-Sang is perilously close to being added to that list, Brock Nelson and Anders Lee were developed mostly @ the NCAA level. Hamonic, Barzal, Tavares, Beauvillier, Bailey spent little or zero time developing in the AHL. To compound the problem, they aren't drafting out of Europe and the NCAA where development is pretty much out of their hands. That is a damning list right there, especially failing to produce even a single AHL level starting goaltender when they've drafted a half dozen.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Didn't last season's training camp reports indicate Toews was the most impressive young blueliner in camp, that it was the waiver option situation that cost him a roster spot coming out of camp?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If they're counting on a rookie coming off an injury to fill a spot on the defense, then that is most definitely a gross interview. :eyeroll:
I am hoping the isles surprise me..offer one of their 1st + Pelech for Brodin. Wild are gonna be in caphell.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Hey errbody. I would like to ask what is the most likely plan for Otto "Ode" Koivula next year ? Do ya think he'llbe with Bridgeport or do ya let him with Ilves? (Please do :D )

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hey errbody. I would like to ask what is the most likely plan for Otto "Ode" Koivula next year ? Do ya think he'llbe with Bridgeport or do ya let him with Ilves? (Please do :D )

I'm pretty certain that Koivula has been signed at this juncture so as to play in Bridgeport.

I believe the Isles want to start nurturing him in North America and working with him hands on. It wouldn't be untypical of the organization, especially in light of his size and what's been said about his skating.

As far as I know, they feel that he'll need two AHL seasons and then they want him competing for a spot with the big boys.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Off the top of my head, here is the list of players Cairns/Reasoner successfully developed:
Calvin de Haan (took forever)
Ryan Pulock (took forver, still TBD)
Adam Pelech (nothing to write home about)
Scott Mayfield (nothing to write home about)
Casey Cizikas (Love him, but nothing to write home about)
Matt Martin (Love him, but nothing to write home about)

Failures:
Every NA Goalie to come through the system (Bigly, haven't even produced a good AHL starter let alone an NHL backup)
Ryan Strome (Bigly)
Griffin Reinhart (Bigly)
Michael Dal Colle (still TBD, but Bigly)
Matt Donovan

Josh Ho-Sang is perilously close to being added to that list, Brock Nelson and Anders Lee were developed mostly @ the NCAA level. Hamonic, Barzal, Tavares, Beauvillier, Bailey spent little or zero time developing in the AHL. To compound the problem, they aren't drafting out of Europe and the NCAA where development is pretty much out of their hands. That is a damning list right there, especially failing to produce even a single AHL level starting goaltender when they've drafted a half dozen.

I think your thinking is a bit too extreme.

DeHaan was injured more than he played..that's why it took him so long. Sooo long...sooo long..to the point where we wanted to trade him to any team for a bag of pucks.

Pulock is going to be good...This was his first full year..give the kid a break. He's going to be good..very good

Pelech is a future top 2 and I've said this so many times...you guys just look at the surface and make up your minds. He was put into situations that he wasn't supposed to be in for his experience because of injury. He handled himself well considering his lack of experience.

Mayfield....well..I see flashes of brilliance once in a while..overall...great 7th defenceman...or box Good for depth

Zeeker is probably one of the best 4th line centres in the league.

Matt Martin...every team needs a guy that plays with heart...haven't you ever seen Rudy (maybe you're too young)?

We do suck at goalies...best goalie we had was Smith....that was 30+ years ago. Or we trade away anyone that comes close.

BTW...Sorokin is not coming until (no, you never mentioned Sorokin, I know...just adding it here because I wanted to make one post)
1. He gets a full time roll
2. When he makes his money in the K and doesn't have to spend more than 1 year on ELC. I have no idea why you guys don't understand this..it's like i have to explain this in every damn post about him.

Strome has a full time role as a 3rd line centre...he's not a bust (the Oilers (and fans) actually like him in that role)

Ho-Sang is fine...you're panicking too early. He needs to get the rest of his game on track and that means learning to listen to the coach.

Hamonic/JT/Beau/Barzal are special players...

Bailey was never developed..he was forced to play in the NHL..not because he was anything special...The team just sucked.

Reinhart...He would have not made ANY team...he's just too slow. That was drafting..I think we thought he'd excel even more, but didn't realize he just piqued early.

The reason why they draft NCAA is to control contract signings. It's foresight. I agree, they should go for Europeans more...I just think as a business, you want to have as much flexibility as possible and the difference between drafting a player from NCAA or Europe...is not a whole lot, so might as well go for NCAA players.

Back to Prospects..

I wanted to know the difference between Hayton and Beau since they are both 2-way forwards and play a solid game.

Holy hell...Hayton sounds like a better version of Beau.

2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Barrett Hayton

"He has the talent to be a top-line player in the NHL, but more importantly, he has the mind and hockey IQ to make an impact in any role. The team that drafts Hayton will know they are getting an NHLer, it’s just a matter of how high he climbs the depth chart."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Interesting...I've never heard any anti-Snow comment coming from any player before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->