Rumor: Isles Interested in E. Staal if Nielsen does not re-sign

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not really a fan of getting Staal but getting him for 2 years compared to getting other guys for 5+ might be the best move for the long run

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Vincent Lecavalier

what about him? he got a decent deal in philly and was a 35pt guy. Or was that what youre saying, hell be basically that for 5 mil...sorry couldn't tell!

Cheechoo had major knee injuries and it led to his decline fast. fwiw.

Staal's knee got messed up too, IIRC. Just another reason to stay away, especially as a replacement for Nielsen.

No he isn't no one fades that fast

fair enough...maybe I used slight hyperbole, but yea Staal's production has fallen off a slightly less high cliff.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dirty Difty play by Edler!

This screams the old TML brass move. Get or sign a player based on who they were as a player three or 4 season ago. Thank god our Management has moved on from this tactic.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
Dirty Difty play by Edler!

This screams the old TML brass move. Get or sign a player based on who they were as a player three or 4 season ago. Thank god our Management has moved on from this tactic.

lol No doubt, they'd roll the red carpet out for him and everything, probably sign his other brother, Jarred too :handclap:

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
I don' understand this at all. Maybe I'm out to lunch, and Islander fans can enlighten me...but I thought Strome was turning into a damn good player. What happened with him this year? I'd give Strome the 2nd line C spot (assuming he comes in and has a good camp), and let him run with it. See what the kid can do. He's only one year removed from a 50 point season. Only possibility that makes sense to me is that Snow/Capuanao likes him as a Winger more than a center. Would a NYI fan care to elaborate?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I like it. He isn't a top 6er anymore but he would be great for our 3rd line if he's willing to take a cut in pay & responsibilities.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don' understand this at all. Maybe I'm out to lunch, and Islander fans can enlighten me...but I thought Strome was turning into a damn good player. What happened with him this year? I'd give Strome the 2nd line C spot (assuming he comes in and has a good camp), and let him run with it. See what the kid can do. He's only one year removed from a 50 point season. Only possibility that makes sense to me is that Snow/Capuanao likes him as a Winger more than a center. Would a NYI fan care to elaborate?

It's hard to really pin down. When he had his 50 point season, he was a winger, so playing the recent season mostly at wing shouldn't have had this effect on him. Part of the issue was the change in system to a far less aggressive forecheck, which affected pretty much everyone on the team's 5 on 5 stats, not to mention the entire team's possession stats. This did also notably lower the goals against though, and 5 on 5 GF% remained about the same.

However, it was more than that, as Strome in general was not nearly as involved on either offense or defense this year as opposed to the prior season. Hopefully it's just a typical sophmore slump and he bounces back in the coming season, but only time will tell.

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
It's hard to really pin down. When he had his 50 point season, he was a winger, so playing the recent season mostly at wing shouldn't have had this effect on him. Part of the issue was the change in system to a far less aggressive forecheck, which affected pretty much everyone on the team's 5 on 5 stats, not to mention the entire team's possession stats. This did also notably lower the goals against though, and 5 on 5 GF% remained about the same.

However, it was more than that, as Strome in general was not nearly as involved on either offense or defense this year as opposed to the prior season. Hopefully it's just a typical sophmore slump and he bounces back in the coming season, but only time will tell.

Makes sense. Sucks for him though. He looked to be a very promising piece for the Islanders. Hopefully he can rekindle that drive again this year. I still think he will be a very solid Top 6 option for a long time.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If they guy sucks, as he apparently does, why spend any amount and a roster spot on the player?

Pass.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
isles need to get a bit more speed into lineup .

while the thought of e.staal is interesting I dont think he has the legs to keep up

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am not saying this would make me mad, but I would punch a hole through a very hard piece of paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->