Pre-Game Talk: Islanders vs Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Wouldnt be surprised if Pulock make his season debut against the Rangers tomorrow ; he is praticing with the 1st PP unit. On the other hand, Ho-Sang is rotating on PP2, so I woudnt be surprised if he is scratched in favor of Beauvillier. We'll see!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I have a feeling ho sang sits for pulock and we go 7D. Don't ask me why lol. Glad to see the kid get a shot

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
A win would go a long way here on getting the Isles started on the right track in my opinion. Not critical but a very good test to see what this team has in them.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Looking at how they were lining up in practice -
Pulock starts and most likely Pelech or Mayfield sit if there is no ailment or illness from one of the vets.

Pelech on the PP2 was curious - easily a place where Boychuk or Ho Sang slots in.
Not seeing Ho Sang on the PP2 to start is disturbing to say the least - it does make me think he sits tomorrow.

IMO - I would have go - 27-91-7 up front with 2-6 on the blueline for PP1 and then go 29-13-12-66-55 on PP2

I think it is a terrible idea t0 go with 11/7 - assuming that means Hickey plays F.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Doug Weight might actually be mildy Pejorative Slured if he sits JHS again. Lets sit the kid whose actually generating the little offense we have every night when there is easily 6 other guys who figure skate out there.

Also when are we going to realize Lee isnt a top line guy? Let him be up front on the PP and on the 3rd line 5v5. JT needs a much more fast and creative line.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is semi related to the lineup news, but I think one of the biggest problems with the Islanders in recent years has been the constant flux/rotating of the lineup and it seems to be continuing with Weight as coach. For some reason the Islanders (always trying to reinvent the wheel) under Snow seem to think that the best approach is carrying a larger roster and constantly rotating players in and out of the lineup and changing line combos etc. This in my opinion is why this team never seems to ever build cohesion. Look at the top teams around the league, barring injuries, their lines and pairings stay together all season, they know who they are playing with every game. With the Isles, they are always tinkering and the players probably have no idea who they are playing with until each game.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
its silly to sit Beauvillier 3 straight games. but what do I know.
I just want a strong win. Barzal & Eberle scoring their first Islanders goals against the Rags would be GREAT!

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Doug Weight might actually be mildy ******ed if he sits JHS again. Lets sit the kid whose actually generating the little offense we have every night when there is easily 6 other guys who figure skate out there.

Also when are we going to realize Lee isnt a top line guy? Let him be up front on the PP and on the 3rd line 5v5. JT needs a much more fast and creative line.

JHS is a very talented player, but if he, as a rookie does not take the defensive side of his play seriously and play within Weights system, he will sit. Lee is the one player who is making plays and creating space without the turn-overs of 91 & 7. Sounds like you've been talking to Cappy. But everyone can see something different in the sky.

Reactions: Seph and isles31

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
JHS is a very talented player, but if he, as a rookie does not take the defensive side of his play seriously and play within Weights system, he will sit. Lee is the one player who is making plays and creating space without the turn-overs of 91 & 7. Sounds like you've been talking to Cappy. But everyone can see something different in the sky.
Agreed. JHS creates chances for the isles with his speed, and chances for the opposition with his turnovers and ill-advised passes. Just needs to be smarter.

Really do not like going with 11F 7D tomorrow. So Hickey is a better option than Beau or Chimera up front? Come on.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Agreed. JHS creates chances for the isles with his speed, and chances for the opposition with his turnovers and ill-advised passes. Just needs to be smarter.

Really do not like going with 11F 7D tomorrow. So Hickey is a better option than Beau or Chimera up front? Come on.
I wonder if the plan is more about getting Pulock in the lineup to help the PP, but keeping 6 Dmen in the lineup to limit Pulock's ES minutes.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
With the Rangers losing last night I expect them to come out flying tomorrow. After the encouraging preseason the team is starting to look more like Cappy's team of last season: pp looks terrible and only playing well in spurts. Weight is even starting to sound like a cappy clone in his post game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Doubt Hickey moves to forward, you'll likely see sheltered minutes for Pulock and then he'll be deployed on the PP. Weight will also rotate the centers independent of the rest of their lines, so they'll cycle through the lineup.

Reactions: Eberzal

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Doubt Hickey moves to forward, you'll likely see sheltered minutes for Pulock and then he'll be deployed on the PP. Weight will also rotate the centers independent of the rest of their lines, so they'll cycle through the lineup.
Going into a game planning to double shift players from the start is kind of a foolish approach.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It still annoys me that Hickey is a mainstay in the lineup. It seems quite clear that he's not in the future plans as a pending UFA and we have a bunch of young blue liners that need NHL seasoning at the least. While I get the idea that you can never have enough defensemen, what skillset does he really bring that is essential for this team every game?

I think it also goes to a bigger issue that this veteran thing still takes precedence over pure talent. I have always been an 'over-ripen' guy, but it seems that the Isles are taking it too much to the extreme. In today's NHL where you have to have young (and more importantly, cheap), it's becoming less and less viable to play vets who have no future with the team beyond this year.

It would also be nice to get an idea of what exactly we have with some of the youngsters. In this year with the whole JT re-singing saga, I think it would be even more paramount to know what we have in our kids.

Reactions: islesfan3991

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Doug Weight might actually be mildy ******ed if he sits JHS again. Lets sit the kid whose actually generating the little offense we have every night when there is easily 6 other guys who figure skate out there.

Lee...35 goal scored. Not quite good enough on this powerhouse to be a 1st line guy....

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Lee...35 goal scored. Not quite good enough on this powerhouse to be a 1st line guy....

Lee doesn't do much else but bang in rebounds. He is another player that can't create on his own. Id rather give the first line ice time to a guy who is constantly creating chances. Lee is still great on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad