Speculation: Islanders National Hockey League of Nations

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Puck Daddy has a neat little dog-days feature called National Hockey League of Nations, where they choose each franchise's best player from the major hockey countries. I thought we could take a shot at predicting our players. This is for the franchise's history.

Canada:
Czech Republic:
Finland:
Russia:
Slovakia:
Sweden:
US:
Rest of the World:

--------------------------

Here are my picks:

Canada: Mike Bossy. Trottier may be considered the more complete player, but Bossy was the man. Maybe one day JT takes over (but I doubt it.)

Czech Republic: A surprisingly strong fight despite there being few options. The nod goes to David Volek, largely due to his goal against the Penguins, but Robert Reichel was a big scorer in his limited time on the Island, and Hamrlik and Martinek both were quality defensemen.

Finland: Mikko Makela. This wasn't the most competitive category. Makela is far and away the best Finn we've seen in the blue and orange, scoring at a decent clip in the post-Glory Days. The next best is probably Sean Bergenheim. Oof.

Russia: Alexei Yashin. Again, a category with little competition. The next best Russian is Vlad Malakhov. Yashin could never live up to his contract, but he was a solid player.

Slovakia: If Chara played on the Island longer he may have taken this, but it's obviously Ziggy Palffy, our brightest light in our darkest days.

Sweden: Stefan Persson. Yes, he benefitted from playing on one of the greatest teams ever, but he was no passenger. Kenny Jonsson is a close second. Though born there, Bobby Nystrom doesn't count.

US: Without a doubt it's Patty LaFontaine. It's just sad how things ended up.

Rest of the World: I would have given this to England's Steve Thomas, but like Nystrom, he grew up in Canada. Frans Nielsen and Mark Streit may have been better players, but the Polish Prince Mariusz Czerkawski was all we had for a good long time, with four 20-goal seasons and two 30-goal seasons.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not giving this a lot of thought and may be missing some, but these were a few things that I'd suggest:

I always have to go with Trots over Bossy, but they were both great.

Tomas Jonsson and Anders Kallur were really good players and should get some votes for Sweden, but I agree that Persson is the winner.

For rest of the world, how about Kasparaitus (Lithuania)?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Puck Daddy has a neat little dog-days feature called National Hockey League of Nations, where they choose each franchise's best player from the major hockey countries. I thought we could take a shot at predicting our players. This is for the franchise's history.

Canada:
Czech Republic:
Finland:
Russia:
Slovakia:
Sweden:
US:
Rest of the World:

--------------------------

Here are my picks:

Canada: Mike Bossy. Trottier may be considered the more complete player, but Bossy was the man. Maybe one day JT takes over (but I doubt it.)

Czech Republic: A surprisingly strong fight despite there being few options. The nod goes to David Volek, largely due to his goal against the Penguins, but Robert Reichel was a big scorer in his limited time on the Island, and Hamrlik and Martinek both were quality defensemen.

Finland: Mikko Makela. This wasn't the most competitive category. Makela is far and away the best Finn we've seen in the blue and orange, scoring at a decent clip in the post-Glory Days. The next best is probably Sean Bergenheim. Oof.

Russia: Alexei Yashin. Again, a category with little competition. The next best Russian is Vlad Malakhov. Yashin could never live up to his contract, but he was a solid player.

Slovakia: If Chara played on the Island longer he may have taken this, but it's obviously Ziggy Palffy, our brightest light in our darkest days.

Sweden: Stefan Persson. Yes, he benefitted from playing on one of the greatest teams ever, but he was no passenger. Kenny Jonsson is a close second. Though born there, Bobby Nystrom doesn't count.

US: Without a doubt it's Patty LaFontaine. It's just sad how things ended up.

Rest of the World: I would have given this to England's Steve Thomas, but like Nystrom, he grew up in Canada. Frans Nielsen and Mark Streit may have been better players, but the Polish Prince Mariusz Czerkawski was all we had for a good long time, with four 20-goal seasons and two 30-goal seasons.

Great list Darkhorse ! I agree with everything you said. Also, your comment about Czerkawski is so true, he really had some good seasons for us.

Last edited:

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
Sweden: Bobby Nystrom?

My right?

If you read the previous entries, it doesn't matter where the person grew up it's birth place. Swede without a doubt is Nystrom.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't know how you could not think Tommy Salo was our best Swede :sarcasm:

Salo actually had some pretty darned good seasons on some terrible Islander's teams.

7 Tommy Salo NYI 1994-1995 1998-1999 187 62 94 21 5 5,000 488 2.77 4,512 .902 14 10,567:47

2.77 ga .902 sp during years on terrible Islander's teams is pretty damned good.

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
The New York Islanders League Of Nations was written yesterday on Puck Daddy by Greg Wyshynski. Thought I would bump this thread to show the results.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/york-islanders-national-hockey-league-nations-164018474.html

Canada: Mike Bossy (Honorable Mention: Bryan Trottier)
Finland: Mikko Makela
USA: Pat LaFontaine
Sweden: Nystrom
Russia: Alexei Yashin
Slovakia: Zigmund Palffy
Czech Republic: Radek Martinek

Rest Of The World:

Steve Thomas (England)
Mariusz Czerkawski (Poland)

I agree with the decisions, but some others bought up gripes with no mention of Potvin in the Canada category and Mark Streit (Switzerland) for the rest of the work category.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Of course, you actually have to add Nielsen in that last category. I think most would agree that he's generally been the best overall Dane to this point in time.

Considering there only what, 5-6 fulltime Danes in the NHL, he's gotta be thrown onto this list.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
The New York Islanders League Of Nations was written yesterday on Puck Daddy by Greg Wyshynski. Thought I would bump this thread to show the results.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/york-islanders-national-hockey-league-nations-164018474.html

Canada: Mike Bossy (Honorable Mention: Bryan Trottier)
Finland: Mikko Makela
USA: Pat LaFontaine
Sweden: Nystrom
Russia: Alexei Yashin
Slovakia: Zigmund Palffy
Czech Republic: Radek Martinek

Rest Of The World:

Steve Thomas (England)
Mariusz Czerkawski (Poland)

I agree with the decisions, but some others bought up gripes with no mention of Potvin in the Canada category and Mark Streit (Switzerland) for the rest of the work category.

Great list and I love Bossy, but Trottier was, at least in my mind and from my recollection of watching all of those games, no doubt the greatest Islander. Taking nothing away from Bossy(two of the greats) but any list that doesn't have Trottier securely in a top spot loses a bit credibility with me. I guess that is what these lists are all about, opening up debate.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Of course, you actually have to add Nielsen in that last category. I think most would agree that he's generally been the best overall Dane to this point in time.

Considering there only what, 5-6 fulltime Danes in the NHL, he's gotta be thrown onto this list.

And don't forget Richard Park, has to be the greatest Korean player we ever had. ;)

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey

Damn! How did I not think of that?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Stumpy, Nystrom, and the Park pick were weak. These guys were Canadians and Americans through and through. They spoke with a Canadian or American accent and went to elementary schools here in North America. In addition to all this, they even played for their American or Canadian national teams. If you just happen to be born in a place, it doesn't really make you a part of that culture.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Stumpy, Nystrom, and the Park pick were weak. These guys were Canadians and Americans through and through. They spoke with a Canadian or American accent and went to elementary schools here in North America. In addition to all this, they even played for their American or Canadian national teams. If you just happen to be born in a place, it doesn't really make you a part of that culture.

I kind of agree.

None of those guys were raised playing their hockey abroad. If they were, then particularly Stumpy and Park would have to be seen as having been RESOUNDINGLY successful, but if you're American or Canadian and your entire childhood ice hockey existence took place on North American soil, then there's no need for you to be mentioned in a listing of this nature.

I mean heck, do any of these three even have dual citizenship?

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey

In all fairness Park, Streit and Nielsen never mentioned, just suggestions by posters here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad