GDT: Islanders@Leafs 7 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
GettyImages-912817936-1024x669.jpg

Thursday game preview: New York Islanders at Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs are 16-6-2 when James van Riemsdyk scores this season.

Thursday game preview: New York Islanders at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

tavares.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

John Tavares leads the Islanders with 64 points. (Rene Johnston / Toronto Star)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Wed., Feb. 21, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
PUCK DROP:
7 p.m.
TV: TSN 4
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Tavares/van Riemsdyk
John Tavares and Anders Lee share the lead for the Islanders with 30 goals apiece; Tavares leads in points with 64. James van Riemsdyk has points (two goals, one assist) in three consecutive games, and the Leafs are 16-6-2 when he scores a goal this season.
NEED TO KNOW
The Islanders are 4-6-1 since the all-star break and treading water in the playoff race. They haven’t won three games in a row since mid-January . . . The Leafs beat the Islanders 5-0 in Toronto the last time the two teams met . . . The Islanders’ power play is seventh in the NHL, at 21.5 per cent, but their penalty kill is 30th (74.0 per cent) . . . New York placed goaltender Thomas Greiss on injured reserve and recalled former Leaf Christopher Gibson from Bridgeport of the American Hockey League on Monday. Other injured Islanders: Nikolay Kulemin (upper body), Calvin de Haan (upper body), Scott Mayfield (lower body).
UP NEXT
Saturday, vs. Boston, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Islanders at Maple Leafs
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Game Day: Islanders at Maple Leafs

NY ISLANDERS at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Thursday, 7 p.m., Air Canada Centre
TV: TSN4; Radio: 590 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
LW James van Riemsdyk vs. Islanders defence

JVR is hot, but he’s not just tipping pucks and jamming in front-porch rebounds. The 25-goal man is now scoring a couple from the outer limits and that could mess up the Isles’ coverage. After a bad stretch of allowing 30 goals in seven games in late January/early February, the Isles had two shutouts, then were beaten 5-3 Monday by Minnesota.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
A lack of net options
Goalie Thomas Greiss was playing well, until a lower body injury sent him to injured reserve. Jaroslav Halak is no stranger to the ACC and has a record of 8-3-3 against Toronto with a .909 save percentage against them.
Playoffs in peril
The Leafs are winning, they just can’t seem to gain on the Lightning and Bruins. But New York has no such cushion, already forced in playoff mode with 21 games to go, presently out of the top eight in the Eastern Conference and in a dog fight with a slew of teams. They’ll be dialled in early — and in a bad mood after losing 5-0 here three weeks ago.
Brick wall on Bay
Freddy Andersen is coming off his fifth shutout and 30th win, and seeking his 18th victory on home ice as he chases the Leafs’ single-season record of 22.
No give
These are two of the NHL’s worst teams in terms of giveaways. Toronto was better on Tuesday, keeping it to eight, with the defence accounting for seven. Travis Dermott’s arrival has helped.
One-goal wonders
If the Leafs are up one in the third, you can (almost) take it to the bank. They lead the NHL with 19 one-goal victories.
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 20.0% (18th)
NY Islanders 21.5% (8th)
PENALTY KILL
Toronto 83.0% (4th)
NY Islanders 74.0% (30th)
ISLANDERS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Anders Lee John Tavares Josh Bailey
Anthony Beauvillier Mathew Barzal Jordan Eberle
Andrew Ladd Brock Nelson Tanner Fritz
Ross Johnston Casey Cizikas Cal Clutterbuck
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Nick Leddy Johnny Boychuk
Thomas Hickey Ryan Pulock
Adam Pelech Sebastian Aho
GOALIES
Jaroslav Halak
Christopher Gibson
SICK BAY
G Thomas Greiss
D Calvin De Haan
LW Shane Prince
RW Nikolai Kulemin
LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews William Nylander
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
Leo Komarov Dominic Moore Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott Connor Carrick/Roman Polak
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney

Sick Bay
No injuries

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Hopefully Barzal can help us out by giving the puck up as many times as he did last time we played these guys.

One-goal wonders
If the Leafs are up one in the third, you can (almost) take it to the bank. They lead the NHL with 19 one-goal victories
What a difference from last season in this category.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
i literally always forget Kulemin is still in the league.

Its also amazing how the islanders are in the top 3 in GF but last in the league in GA. Even Arizona has given up 22 less goals. Jeez.

Lets wreck these guys

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So I think this is the appropriate place to put this but has anyone noticed what's changed on the Matthews powerplay line since January 1st? I had no idea but just knew that they were not performing as well as they should.

Why aren't Auston Matthews and William Nylander scoring on...

According to this, Matthews and Nylander were flipped from their strong side to their weaker side to open up the one timers for them. Similar to how Tampa's powerplay unit works who are great at one timers. Hasn't been working out for Matthews unit so apparently they've switched it back to their strong sides recently. Definitely keeping an eye on that powerplay unit tonight.

Reactions: Elephanto

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Gotta think the Islanders want some redemption tonight, along with Barzal who was -5 I believe the last time we played. They will come out hard, as usual!

With us being home and having great 1st periods, I expect us to put the pedal to the metal right off the drop of the puck and get a couple early ones. That'll be the recipe to close this one out early. Gotta beat the teams below us, hopefully we can establish a killer instinct from here on out.

Lets make it 12 in 14!

:leafs

Reactions: Macallan18

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Hopefully Barzal can help us out by giving the puck up as many times as he did last time we played these guys.
Barzal is a great player in the making. I wouldn't count on him sh@@@ing the bed two games in a row.
In fact, I'm sure he will have something to prove tonight.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Barzal is a great player in the making. I wouldn't count on him sh@@@ing the bed two games in a row.
In fact, I'm sure he will have something to prove tonight.
Definitely, the Leafs really exposed him last game but he did have flashes of offensive brilliance. Love the way he skates around. He's like a faster version of Marner but Marner's got a better offensive IQ.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Now that Matt Martin isn’t playing as a regular, I’m kinda fine with him coming back in.

Let him show why the Islanders should trade back for him

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
So I think this is the appropriate place to put this but has anyone noticed what's changed on the Matthews powerplay line since January 1st? I had no idea but just knew that they were not performing as well as they should.

Why aren't Auston Matthews and William Nylander scoring on...

According to this, Matthews and Nylander were flipped from their strong side to their weaker side to open up the one timers for them. Similar to how Tampa's powerplay unit works who are great at one timers. Hasn't been working out for Matthews unit so apparently they've switched it back to their strong sides recently. Definitely keeping an eye on that powerplay unit tonight.

Their PP unit is the only reason they're both not putting up monster numbers this year.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Their PP unit is the only reason they're both not putting up monster numbers this year.
Pretty much, their powerplay's shooting % is something like 4.4% since the change? Something crazy.

Also, I didn't know Marner's line is actually one of the best units in the league. Probably why it gets first opportunity when they get a PP.

Longtimeleaffan85

Feb 8, 2018
Who could Martin be coming in for ?? And why not leivo ?? Showcasing Martin maybe !! Exciting times in leafland these days !!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Now that Matt Martin isn’t playing as a regular, I’m kinda fine with him coming back in.

Let him show why the Islanders should trade back for him

Exactly. I'm fine with him playing some games, especially now that we've basically clinched a playoff spot.

I just wish that Leivo would also get rotated into the lineup. Why not just give Marleau a night off or something? He's an old guy... he doesn't need to play every game for us right now. Keep him fresher for the playoffs. Could have given Hyman a night off too after that hit he took.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I hate how our team does not disclose who is not playing. Like if matthews is not playing tonight then i dont wanna spend 300 bucks for tickets.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad