Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I guess time will tell, just thought that was an interesting tidbit to bring up.

We can assume that getting a goaltender will be a priority.

I'm already thinking that Lou will do so, if fully in control, at the cost of one of the first rounders+ this summer.

What I do know is that of the free agent goalies out there, Bernier is the only one I'd prolly rather have than Halak.

Then again, I'm working on the premises that whoever is in goal over the next couple of seasons is giving way to Soderstrom a bit by 2019-20 and then completely to one of Soderstrom or Sorokin thereafter.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
So, goaltender options:

UFA: Bernier, Niemi, Lehtonen
RFA (potentially available through trade): Mrazek (PHI), Grubauer (WSH)
Trade: Mike Smith?

Not a lot there.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
So, goaltender options:

UFA: Bernier, Niemi, Lehtonen
RFA (potentially available through trade): Mrazek (PHI), Grubauer (WSH)
Trade: Mike Smith?

Not a lot there.

I have a little bit different thought:

1. Saros - I think he can be a legit starter
2. Grubauer - hit some bumps come the playoffs but the talent is there to be a starter
3. Bernier - Think he can starter 50+ games and be effective. Kind of like before the Leafs ruined him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

2. Grubauer - hit some bumps come the playoffs but the talent is there to be a starter
3. Bernier - Think he can starter 50+ games and be effective. Kind of like before the Leafs ruined him.

Saros is similar to the Bernier situation when the latter was in LA. High Sv % in backup position on a team with a top notch D. Both undersized for modern goalies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Wonder with the hire of Lou, how this off season discussion changes??
I think what will be interesting will be the draft. Lou is infamous for trading for veterans with his picks. I think that’ll happen at the draft. I think we come out of the draft with a #1 goalie and a 1st pairing defenseman. Which is what Snow should’ve done immediately after the Hamonic trade. I’m not getting too attached with our 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks.

Also, I think Russians will no longer be off limits for the Isles. I believe Snow drafted FOUR Russians in the 11 drafts, and 2 refused to come over and stay in the US. There are some talented Russian players eligible for the 2018 Draft (really like Kravtsov), and some Russian FA’s (Kovalchuk).

Reactions: Jester9881

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

From what I’ve read, they are grooming Saros to be the next starter, and Rinne has one year left on his deal, so I think that whole timeline makes sense.

I have minimal knowledge of Grubauer, and I think Bernier is more of a 30-39 game-a-year guy than a 50+ game guy.

Reactions: Finnislander

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
From what I’ve read, they are grooming Saros to be the next starter, and Rinne has one year left on his deal, so I think that whole timeline makes sense.

I have minimal knowledge of Grubauer, and I think Bernier is more of a 30-39 game-a-year guy than a 50+ game guy.

I have one guy that I always have had in mind but I think I'll get a resounding no from everyone.

Oscar Dansk

Definitely more of a throw shit at the wall type of move. But he definitely has a lot of skill. Could platoon with Greiss.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think what will be interesting will be the draft. Lou is infamous for trading for veterans with his picks. I think that’ll happen at the draft. I think we come out of the draft with a #1 goalie and a 1st pairing defenseman. Which is what Snow should’ve done immediately after the Hamonic trade. I’m not getting too attached with our 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks.

Also, I think Russians will no longer be off limits for the Isles. I believe Snow drafted FOUR Russians in the 11 drafts, and 2 refused to come over and stay in the US. There are some talented Russian players eligible for the 2018 Draft (really like Kravtsov), and some Russian FA’s (Kovalchuk).

I could absolutely see him trade Anders Lee and bring in Kovalchuk. I'm not sure if it's much of an upgrade at this point, but it should save some money over whatever Lee will end up signing for. I also believe he will look to move Josh Ho-Sang, sign CDH on a one year deal and extend Eberle.

I think he will target Grubauer (for picks and prospect possibly JHS) and one of Justin Faulk or Jonis Brodin (for Anders Lee).

Kovalchuk - Tavares - Bailey
Bellows/Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle

Leddy - Boychuk
CDH - Faulk
Pelech - Pulock

Grubauer
Greiss

Reactions: dood

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Faulk and Grubauer would help, but I think:

Kovalchuk - Tavares - Bailey
Bellows/Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle
This - isThe - Reason
weSucked - Last - Year

Leddy - Boychuk
CDH - Faulk
Pelech - Pulock

Grubauer
Greiss

Reactions: LeapOnOver

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t think he’s that good anymore. He had his good run, won 2 Cups, and now he’s average at best, aged quickly.

He was sidelined with vertigo, I believe. He was playing very well last year until he went down.

I wouldn’t say he’s been average per se. He’s similar to Billy Smith, in that he ramps it up with pressure.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I have one guy that I always have had in mind but I think I'll get a resounding no from everyone.

Oscar Dansk

Definitely more of a throw **** at the wall type of move. But he definitely has a lot of skill. Could platoon with Greiss.

always been a dansk fan.... however I'm en even bigger malcolm subban fan id be nervous handing him the starting gig but i think he has that kind of potential

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Grubauer isn’t proven enough for what it would cost. I’d take him in a heart beat but the cost would be insane.

I think the 2 most likely are trade for Rinne or sign Lehner

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Pekka Rinne is a goalie I would watch out for. I think nashville is ready to get out of that last year and would be willing to trade him for a package with one of our firsts.

And being that we dont have a marshmello running the phone lines now, i could see it as a possibility.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Hot taek time: Halak is just as good as Rinne. Anyone would look good playing behind Nashville's blueline. Rinne is the most overrated goalie in the league.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
Congrats on Lou guys, should help the JT pitch and help get things going for you guys. On the note of Faulk, I doubt Carolina would have any interest in someone like Lee for the sole fact that Carolina really doesn't need more wingers. As of right now we're sliding both Aho & Lindholm to the middle just to field 4 centers, so I imagine Carolina would look for a young center (Or anyone who can stop center ice dump ins) as the return for Faulk, nothing against Lee as a player.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Definitely a big fan of Myers. With Trouba and Morrissey extensions coming, there may be incentive to trade him. However, I don't think Enstrom is returning to the Jets so they may want to keep him. Hard to tell right now.

Me too. They wouldn’t want futures in return. I’d be hesitant to part w Lee (not sure he’d fit their system anyway).

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Pekka Rinne is a goalie I would watch out for. I think nashville is ready to get out of that last year and would be willing to trade him for a package with one of our firsts.

And being that we dont have a marshmello running the phone lines now, i could see it as a possibility.

I'm hoping that any trade that the Isles make for a goalie... is for a solid albeit high paid vet (Rinne is a great example). In acquiring said veteran, they can find a way to bundle assets and a high contract. For example: Rinne for 1st, prospect (ie Dal Colle), Contract (Greiss)

IMO, this is what the Isles need to do to start weaning down some of their bad contracts.

EDIT: I would prefer Ladd moved above all contracts though.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Congrats on Lou guys, should help the JT pitch and help get things going for you guys. On the note of Faulk, I doubt Carolina would have any interest in someone like Lee for the sole fact that Carolina really doesn't need more wingers. As of right now we're sliding both Aho & Lindholm to the middle just to field 4 centers, so I imagine Carolina would look for a young center (Or anyone who can stop center ice dump ins) as the return for Faulk, nothing against Lee as a player.

Only possibility could be Brock Nelson and multiple additions. However, that's based on the assumption that Carolina management would view Nelson as a center. Honestly, Most Islander fans (myself included) think he is a terrible center. And, I would warn against acquiring him for anything other than 2nd/3rd line winger.

Maybe, picks and prospects for Faulk? Carolina turns said package to Buffalo for O'Reilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->