Value of: Islander's 11th + 12th overall to Montreal

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What type of return would New York be looking for?

Would Patches + Chicago 2nd + Montreal 2nd + Lindgren + Petry for the picks and a cap dump (Ladd or Boychuk, you can choose) be enough?

What else would you want added?

Both picks would allow the Habs to draft Zadina at 3, and then two of Veleno/Kotkaniemi/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Smith at 11 and 12

Islanders bolster their Tavares pitch by adding pieces to win now. Patches is still an elite goal scoring winger and adding offensive depth never hurts. Petry is a phenomenal second pairing guy and helps shore up their back end. Picks and Lindgren more or less to balance out.
I wouldn't give up that much if I was Montreal. Doubt Kotkaniemi is there at 11. Imagine that is main reason you want this trade. Difference between 11 and say the 15 or 17th isn't great. I would deal Pacioretty for a mid-first and draft a Hayton. This way keep my seconds and draft a Wise or Dellandrea. Those 3 are higher value than a Ty Smith or Farabee who will likely be there at 11 and 12.

Besides, I think if Isles deal both those picks they need a goalie. There isn't much on UFA market this summer. Without a top goalie going to be hard for Isles to get a Tavares signed

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wouldn't give up that much if I was Montreal. Doubt Kotkaniemi is there at 11. Imagine that is main reason you want this trade. Difference between 11 and say the 15 or 17th isn't great. I would deal Pacioretty for a mid-first and draft a Hayton. This way keep my seconds and draft a Wise or Dellandrea. Those 3 are higher value than a Ty Smith or Farabee who will likely be there at 11 and 12.

Besides, I think if Isles deal both those picks they need a goalie. There isn't much on UFA market this summer. Without a top goalie going to be hard for Isles to get a Tavares signed
1. LeBrun reports the isles are making a push for Grubrauer. If you look at how Lou L acquired a 26 yr old Schneider and 27 yr old Andersen, it makes sense he would look to add a young goalie, whose upside likes.

2. Both Art Staple and Friedman report the isles remain very much in the mix to extend Tavares.

Clearly, neither Tavares or Lou consider adding a top goalie as a deal breaker.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What type of return would New York be looking for?

Would Patches + Chicago 2nd + Montreal 2nd + Lindgren + Petry for the picks and a cap dump (Ladd or Boychuk, you can choose) be enough?

What else would you want added?

Both picks would allow the Habs to draft Zadina at 3, and then two of Veleno/Kotkaniemi/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Smith at 11 and 12

Islanders bolster their Tavares pitch by adding pieces to win now. Patches is still an elite goal scoring winger and adding offensive depth never hurts. Petry is a phenomenal second pairing guy and helps shore up their back end. Picks and Lindgren more or less to balance out.
No way do i see either Bouchard/Kotkaniemi or Wahlstrom falling into the #11 or #12 range seeing that Detroit has strong interest in all 3 with their #6 pick Chicago has strong interest in Kotkaniemi with their #8 pick good luck with that all 3 go top 10 rather easily only Veleno do i see in that range.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ya sure bud. You want the 3rd overall + 2019 1st for your 2018 11thOA and 12th OA and we are the one over-rating our assets and undervalue everyone else's.:facepalm:

some of us do not want any combo of MaxPac,Petry, Lindgren and lower picks for our 11th or 12th overall.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
1. LeBrun reports the isles are making a push for Grubrauer. If you look at how Lou L acquired a 26 yr old Schneider and 27 yr old Andersen, it makes sense he would look to add a young goalie, whose upside likes.

2. Both Art Staple and Friedman report the isles remain very much in the mix to extend Tavares.

Clearly, neither Tavares or Lou consider adding a top goalie as a deal breaker.
Tavares won't resign there without a goalie. He'd be looking to win

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Tavares won't resign there without a goalie. He'd be looking to win
And yet with the isles publicly pursuing Grubrauer, sources like Friedman and Staple are writing/tweeting the isles are very much in the mix to keep Tavares.

Going to guess he is smart enough to see that goalies like Crawford ( head injury) and Schneider ( hip surgery), make no sense and a goalie like Price comes with an albatross contract.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Almost certain the only 1D available right now is E.K

Realistically that’s probably true, but while I don’t consider him a true 1D at this point I would gladly move McDonagh for that package. I was against giving up as much as we did to acquire him in the first place and I’d happily move him to pick up a couple of mid firsts.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
To Mtl: 11ov-12ov

To Islanders: Weber

as easy as that, I would think that Weber would be worth a little bit more but I might be bias.
for a slow skating, 32 yr old Weber, who is solid but no longer elite?

No.

Go listen to Lou L's recent sportsnet interview where he talks about the league trending toward skill and speed

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
11 & 12 carry significant weight. This is a pretty good draft. Isles can sit tight. Or move up infact by packaging the pick to pick in the top 5. I would sit tight, and see how the cards fall.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LOL weber is not elite ? on what world are you living ?
In a world where I could not care less what Weber did several yrs ago or how the team acquiring him is paying in part for his rep.

You know, the things the Habs GM ignored when overpaying for Weber.

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Speaking as a fan of a potential 4th team with cap space you would still need a 4th team since Originally, Montreal wanted the Islanders picks.. but Islanders fan have stated they want EK so that adds Ottawa into the mix, but Islanders don't have the cap space to absorb Ryan's contract so you need the 4th team now as well. So why not i'll take a shot at this

To Montreal: 11th and 12th OV 1st round picks 2018 draft
To Islanders: Erik Karlson
To Ottawa: Patches, 2 2nd's and an additional 2nd in 2019 from Vancouver
To Canucks: Bobby Ryan + 2019 1st from Mon

Montreal gets the picks they wanted while giving up Patches, their 2 2nd rounders and a future 1st next year
Islanders get the premier defensman they want for giving up their back to back first rounders in EK
Ottawa gets fairly good value for EK due to the EK/Hoffman drama (Patches and 3 2nd rounders)
Vancouver gives up a 2nd rounder for a cap dump and an upgrade to a 1st rounder in 2019

/shrug

Last edited:

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
What type of return would the Islanders be looking for?

3rd overall + 2019 1st

As far as your collection of pieces Montreal no longer needs anymore, no thanks. Try and pawn the package onto someone else for their top picks.
that's horrendous for the Habs too. why would they even think of that?

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Speaking as a fan of a potential 4th team with cap space you would still need a 4th team since Originally, Montreal wanted the Islanders picks.. but Islanders fan have stated they want EK so that adds Ottawa into the mix, but Islanders don't have the cap space to absorb Ryan's contract so you need the 4th team now as well. So why not i'll take a shot at this

Montreal gets the picks they wanted while giving up Patches, their 2 2nd rounders and a future 1st next year
Islanders get the premier defensman they want for giving up their back to back first rounders in EK
Ottawa gets fairly good value for EK due to the EK/Hoffman drama (Patches and 3 2nd rounders)
Vancouver gives up a 2nd rounder for a cap dump and an upgrade to a 1st rounder in 2019

/shrug

Do you really think Vancouver or anyone would trade a 2nd for a 1st and a terrible contract that has another 4 years on it?
You think Canadians get 2 1st for Patches but Ottawa gets Patches and 3 2nds for EK?????

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Do you really think Vancouver or anyone would trade a 2nd for a 1st and a terrible contract that has another 4 years on it?
You think Canadians get 2 1st for Patches but Ottawa gets Patches and 3 2nds for EK?????

Sure let's ignore the entire statement and just cherry pick to make your narrative sound better.

Montreal gets 2 1sts for Patches 2 2nds and a 1st of their own. They're gonna pay a little extra to keep the 3rd OA since they want 3 top 12 picks this year.

Why wouldn't Vancouver upgrade a 2nd to a 1st if all it costs them is salary cap which they have. It's not like Bobby Ryan is complete crap either, he CAN play.. he's just not worth his contract.

Ottawa getting 3 2nds and patches for someone who only has a year left and ottawa may be forced to trade due to Hoffman drama is pretty much top value. Not to mention they shed themselves of the Bobby Ryan contract as well

So... I'm missing your point. Do you even have one?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017

/shrug
Patches - 2 2nds - 1st next year (without Patches, basically a lottery pick) for 11th and 12th... that'd be a god awful deal. Bergevin would be killed probably.

Reactions: Klaus3154

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
Patches - 2 2nds - 1st next year (without Patches, basically a lottery pick) for 11th and 12th... that'd be a god awful deal. Bergevin would be killed probably.

Shrug, all without giving up your 3rd OV this year as well? You get 3 top 12 picks this year and lose 2 seconds a 1st next year and patches.. it's not as horrible as you think it is

So Patches is the sole reason you make the playoffs or you don't? Really?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The Isles need Patches like they need a hole in the head. 7th in GF this past season and 1st in GA ....

OP, meet reality.
Reality, this is OP, show him around Islander Country, would you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad