Proposal: is towes moveable if the team taking him took seabrook

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
"For peanuts"

The Hawks would need to pay a team to take those two albatross contracts off of their hands with no retention, not expect anything back.

Toews can still be an effective player. Definitely not worth his cap hit though. However, that Seabrook deal quite honestly is the worst contract in the NHL. If Chicago wants to shed them with no retention, they are giving up picks/prospects in addition. No team wants 18 mil on the books for declining players from 2018/19 until 22/23.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
6 more years at 10.5M ...
CHI would have hard time trading Toews by himself without a big contract back let alone adding another long term cap dump.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Why would a team give anything for two cap dumps? Two of the absolute worst contracts in the league?

Weird proposal
Seriously. It's like the OP is that super-sheisty car salesman that tries to entice you to buy a lemon by offering you two lemons. I've literally never seen this technique before. "Here I'll sell you this shoe but the wearer stepped in dog s#!+ so to make up for that you can have the other shoe, it also stepped in dog s#!+."

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I could definitely see Berghevin being dumb enough to take Toews' contract. I don't think even he would take Seabrook too though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Seems like a perfect fit for the Oilers. They can offload Lucic and a B prospect for Toews/Seabrook, become a technically better team, and enter cap hell earlier than originally anticipated.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If the Islanders lose Tavares I could see them being interested, although Islander would have to dump a (lesser) bad contract back.
Take on $17m per in salary? I do not see it.

Isles do not have a bad enough cap dump to send back. Ladd has 5 yrs/ $23m and a full NMC for 2 more seasons. Isles would rather pay Ladd $4m+ imo, even if he was willing to waive.

If Tavares leaves, 20 yr old Barzal on his ELC becomes Tavares replacement. And he will soon be looking for a big raise.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yes I am. lets say the Sharks offer Paul Martin, a B level prospect ( say noah rod) and some other peanuts for towes and seabrook with no retention, would Chicago bite? Sharks could absorb the 18M and replace thornton with towes.

I'm not saying its realistic, I'm saying there are positions where teams could take the hit.
Youre asking if the wrong team would bite. No one would take Toews and seabrook at their full cap hit without taking the Hawks next 5 1st round draft picks. Those players contracts are crippling as you can see with whats happening to the hawks.
giphy.gif

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Yes I am. lets say the Sharks offer Paul Martin, a B level prospect ( say noah rod) and some other peanuts for towes and seabrook with no retention, would Chicago bite? Sharks could absorb the 18M and replace thornton with towes.

I'm not saying its realistic, I'm saying there are positions where teams could take the hit.

But why? Why would a team take on two extremely overpaid players on long term contracts?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's like 18 million for like 6 more years for a center that isn't a legit #1 anymore and a defenseman who is a bottom pairing guy at this point. Nobody would take those two for free even if you added a 1st round pick IMO.

Seabrook is probably getting compliance bought out by the next CBA or LTIRetired, Chicago already proved that they can do things like that.

Toews will probably re-dedicate himself to fitness and have a bounce back year at some point soon, he's still a very useful player.

I would probably take Toews on San Jose if Chicago retained like $3M, obviously they wouldn't do that though.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
No one would pay much for Toews already. He is 30 years old by next season, signed for 5 more years at 10.5M, and averaging 50-55 points per year. His current play means his caphit should be no more than 7M and thats extremely generous. Now add to that you want a team to take on a 3rd pairing d-man who will be 33 next year, with a cap hit of almost 7M for another 7 years?

No team would do that unless you're adding in your next 5+ 1st round picks

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I honestly think both have negative value. Toews for the brutal contract and seabrook for his brutal contract relative to his play

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Turns out Seabrook is also suddenly very allergic to hockey equipment so no biggie he’s off the books.

Reactions: canuckster19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad