Is this year's draft a pressure point to the NHLPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I ask this because during this whole fight, they were saying that they were fighting for the young guys. The up and commers. Does this draft put much pressure on the NHLPA? I mean, if they don't get it done before the scheduled draft, they are letting down exactly who they say that they are fighting for.

So if they are truthful when they say that they are fighting for the young guys, we may see a deal struck in a matter of weeks.

Thoughts?

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Scugs said:
I ask this because during this whole fight, they were saying that they were fighting for the young guys. The up and commers. Does this draft put much pressure on the NHLPA? I mean, if they don't get it done before the scheduled draft, they are letting down exactly who they say that they are fighting for.

So if they are truthful when they say that they are fighting for the young guys, we may see a deal struck in a matter of weeks.

Thoughts?

It's actually the opposite, the draft is an owner's privilege because without a draft they could be UFA's & earn way more with a bidding war.

mooseOAK*

Russian Fan said:
It's actually the opposite, the draft is an owner's privilege because without a draft they could be UFA's & earn way more with a bidding war.
If the teams blow their budgets on the elite players there will be little left for the rest of them so most of the players would suffer for the benefit of a few.

Old Hickory

I am mixed on this

A few facts

No draft= no new members for the NHLPA.
More few agents=lower salaries.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
kingsjohn said:
I am mixed on this

A few facts

No draft= no new members for the NHLPA.
More few agents=lower salaries.

Well... I thought that in order to be a member of the PA, you have to currently have an NHL contract. And regardless of the draft, all these rookies are not under contract, so they aren't really new members. Until a CBA is put in place, and contract negotiations can go on as usual, the NHLPA won't be adding members, only losing them.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
No, the draft isn't a pressure point for the PA... in fact, im a bit afraid that they will use it as a deadline to increase their bargaining point

ie. sign this deal and we'll give u the draft

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I actually think the pressure point in now on the owners as well .

the draft , advertising , t.v deals,season tix sales etc..all need to be taken care of between now and September

kinda tough to do that w-out a CBA .

good luck with that Gary

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I hate the "who's in power during X period of time". That's never going to get a deal done if either side looks at it that way, and who's to say they don't, since both sides have gone further than anyone ever has.

If they want to keep playing in what is supposed to be the best league that pays them anything, they have to come to a deal soon.

But to keep going with that thread of thought, if the owners end up being able to open the doors next September, and the players strike, how can they say anything to anyone that crosses the line? Half the players are over in Europe as it is, many of them being the highly paid types from the NHL.

This league is such an complete mess. The owners can't trust each other. Other than prospects and a few vets in the AHL, and mostly guys with a 1 or 2 years left in their careers, the players are in Europe when they're supposed to be fighting for their NHL jobs. I don't even know why I care.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
KingsFan7824 said:
I hate the "who's in power during X period of time". That's never going to get a deal done if either side looks at it that way, and who's to say they don't, since both sides have gone further than anyone ever has.

thats part of the art of negotiating , whoever has the other one over a barrel at any particular time has the so called ''upper hand''

I'm curious to see if either side has anything positive to relay to the fans after their meetings .

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russian Fan said:

1. Rookie cap is rookie cap. only if the union decertifies are they going to earn way more.

2. There is no guarantee there won't be a draft when the new CBA is signed.

3. Barring a draft the NHL-NHLPA would be free to implement a clause in the CBA which stated something like "any player who signed a UFA contract while under the age of 24 (or whatever) and who has not been through a draft is eligible to in the NHL once he has passed through waivers". Crosby passing through waivers? Off he goes to some lesser team.

Wetcoaster

Scugs said:

Thoughts?
No draft and no entry level salary cap.

They would all be free agents and they can sell their services to the highest bidder to the highest bidder. Think RJ Umberger.

There is absolutely no pressure on the NHLPA - there is on the owners.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
My thoughts are the PA may realize that they have lost a public support and do something grandiose. Something like easing their restrictions for eligibility to drafted CHL players temporarily so their rights can be kept by the teams that drafted them. Entry would be voluntary and that way fans can stay excited about the future stars of the league.

By doing something like that, and allowing the draft to take place they could start winning back some love of the fans.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Wetcoaster said:

They would all be free agents and they can sell their services to the highest bidder to the highest bidder. Think RJ Umberger.

Except that the players haven't been paid in the past year and don't know when they could expect their next pay check...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:

RJ had a clause in a CBA to get out off. The current batch would only be free agents as long as their isn't a CBA. Where exactly are they going to sign though? No where at present. Free to go nowhere.

Their status as free agents will depend on the arrangements of any future CBA.

The major argument for the draft in June is so the that prospects have a chance to compete for jobs before the season. If any new CBA has a draft as its first activity (before signings) then the argument that the lack of a June 2005 draft unfairly deprives the prospects of a chance at a job disappears.

The league-NHLPA could also force any player (under UFA age) who never went through a draft to be put on waivers before he is eligible for play in the NHL.

The last thing the NHLPA wants team pouring large amounts of money into prospects and using that as leverage against existing UFAs.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
KingsFan7824 said:

If they want to keep playing in what is supposed to be the best league that pays them anything, they have to come to a deal soon.

But to keep going with that thread of thought, if the owners end up being able to open the doors next September, and the players strike, how can they say anything to anyone that crosses the line? Half the players are over in Europe as it is, many of them being the highly paid types from the NHL.

This league is such an complete mess. The owners can't trust each other. Other than prospects and a few vets in the AHL, and mostly guys with a 1 or 2 years left in their careers, the players are in Europe when they're supposed to be fighting for their NHL jobs. I don't even know why I care.

Most of those NHLers in Europe are only there temporarily... the insurance costs basically mean most of them dont make very much at all... the exceptions are those playing in russia (especially that metallurg team with kovalchuk etc).

I expect most those NHL'ers to return if the NHL restarted next year... the ones i dont expect are certain Euros... i think kovalchuk is an excellent example of a player that might not come back if he is continuously paid his current salary there (but i dont think the RSL can support that kind of salary)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Scugs said:

Thoughts?

No the next pressure point for the NHLPA is opening night in October. Until then the pressure is on the owners.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
3. Barring a draft the NHL-NHLPA would be free to implement a clause in the CBA which stated something like "any player who signed a UFA contract while under the age of 24 (or whatever) and who has not been through a draft is eligible to in the NHL once he has passed through waivers". Crosby passing through waivers? Off he goes to some lesser team.
Why would the NHLPA agree to that .. It fights for player rights not against them ..

The draft is for non NHLPA members but if the draft does not happen and Crosby does to court and fights for UFA the keeps the NHL busy .. but the biggest advantage is that once draft threse young starts get season ticket holder excited and lets them promote them etc.. So it really help the NHL to have a draft .. For the NHLPA there is no effect until the players drafted get signed usually 2 years later .. before the are Union members ..

If its 850 K max to a player like Crosby regardless .. He still has the opportunity to pick his own team ..

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well, in my original post, I should have said that its a given that it is a pressure point for the owners. Thats well understood by almost everyone here. But would the players share in the pressure? I still feel that if they are truthful in saying they really care about the younger guys, they will acknowledge that Crosby's entrance into the NHL, and others, not just him... are in jeopardy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Scugs said:
Well, in my original post, I should have said that its a given that it is a pressure point for the owners. Thats well understood by almost everyone here. But would the players share in the pressure? I still feel that if they are truthful in saying they really care about the younger guys, they will acknowledge that Crosby's entrance into the NHL, and others, not just him... are in jeopardy.
How would his entrance be in jeopardy ??

The NHL has always said that if it misses the June date it would hold it draft shortly after a CBA is in place and the new season begins .. That could hapen in December or January basically its just postponed ..and that put no pressure on the PA IMO

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The Messenger said:

The NHL has always said that if it misses the June date it would hold it draft shortly after a CBA is in place and the new season begins .. That could hapen in December or January basically its just postponed ..and that put no pressure on the PA IMO

Ohh... Well that's good news, I guess? :dunno:

Didn't know they said that... :joker:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
No the next pressure point for the NHLPA is opening night in October. Until then the pressure is on the owners.

I would disagree. I would place the pressure about equal, the same factors that are pressure on the owners, Television deal going down the tubes, sponsers lost, season ticket holders deserting hurt both sides equally. Less money for the owners means a lower offer for the players. I would give neither an 'advantage' they both get screwed the longer this goes on. However the owners can outlast the players in this game of chicken so no matter what the players do the owners will 'win' in the end. I just wonder how much will be left when they 'win.'

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Why would the NHLPA agree to that .. It fights for player rights not against them ..

The draft is for non NHLPA members but if the draft does not happen and Crosby does to court and fights for UFA the keeps the NHL busy .. but the biggest advantage is that once draft threse young starts get season ticket holder excited and lets them promote them etc.. So it really help the NHL to have a draft .. For the NHLPA there is no effect until the players drafted get signed usually 2 years later .. before the are Union members ..

If its 850 K max to a player like Crosby regardless .. He still has the opportunity to pick his own team .

Do you really think the NHLPA wouldn't throw Crosby and 10 other rookies under the bus if it meant getting the CBA done? Goodenow would lock the brakes and skid over them if he had to.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:

Nor any on the owners. Carter and Richards and other already drafted rookies might try it on. Who knows what clauses the NHL will want put in to deal with them. Heck they might even hold a draft of sorts in June for these types of players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
me2 said:
Nor any on the owners. Carter and Richards and other already drafted rookies might try it on. Who knows what clauses the NHL will want put in to deal with them. Heck they might even hold a draft of sorts in June for these types of players.
I hate that argument .. If Carter took the NHL to court in June and was declared a UFA by defeating the NHL in court to be ruled a UFA .. The NHL can put a clause into a CBA that occurs after that fact it makes no Sense .. You can't change History ..

me2 said:
Do you really think the NHLPA wouldn't throw Crosby and 10 other rookies under the bus if it meant getting the CBA done? Goodenow would lock the brakes and skid over them if he had to..
So when does it end for the NHLPA .. Cap, Linkage, Rollback, and all the other systems all in favour of the NHL .. Sure one more screwing over for the NHLPA in this case couldn't hurt .. I guess

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
I hate that argument .. If Carter took the NHL to court in June and was declared a UFA by defeating the NHL in court to be ruled a UFA .. The NHL can put a clause into a CBA that occurs after that fact it makes no Sense .. You can't change History ..

You mean a clause like a 24% salary rollback that changes history and affects contracts signed previously? A clause the NHLPA proposed.

The NHLPA-NHL can do what they like within reason. Crosby and co will just have to learn to cope. If the only thing standing between the union and $1.2B is Crosby, Brule and a handful of other unsigned "UFA" prospects, then Crosby, Brule etc are going to get squashed.

So when does it end for the NHLPA .. Cap, Linkage, Rollback, and all the other systems all in favour of the NHL .. Sure one more screwing over for the NHLPA in this case couldn't hurt .. I guess

Why is altering the rules to cope with a 2005 draft screwing over the NHLPA? WTF do they care about Crosby or any other unsigned rookie (aka non-union member).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->