Is this the year the oilers pass the Flames?

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Just curious as to what Flames fans opinions were on whether or not the Oilers can surpass the Flames in the standings in this shortened season. An identical thread was posted on the Oilers forums and there was an astounding amount of belief in the oilers fan base. That being said, that's been the story for the past few years.
Personally, i think not yet. The Oilers are really weak in goaltending and d. Also, their offence does look stronger but its really small. What do you guys think?
On an unrelated note, what happened to that Flamesarmstrong guy? I haven't seen from him in a while.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
We'll maybe tie but I doubt they pass us. We're still a pretty veteran team. Despite all the young talents they have they don't have a leader vet type of player that can lead them. Smyth is not that guy

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
^ agree. Also, i'm not sure how many NHL regulars are on each teams farm team but for most of the season, the Heat were doing a lot better than the Oil Barons

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Negative.
Still the same team as last year, plus two more kids. Unsure why they're getting the second best odds out of Canadian teams. They did finish dead last and second last for the past few years right?
Not until they get their top tier Dman, and the guy that brings it all together are they going to make the step up.

People point at Pittsburgh as how Edmonton will be... But I don't see anyone close to Crosby or anyone close to Malkin. I see 4 young goal scorers that only have a one way game, hell, one can't pick his head up enough going one way to go both.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
^ ya the comparison to Pittsburgh is kind of weak. They're also lacking the superstar goalie in Fleury and elite veterans like Orpik and at the time of the cup win, Gonchar.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I'll bet anyone that Iginla gets more goals then the Oilers get wins.

Also the new draft lottery format must be very exciting for Oilfans. Go for four!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Entirely possible. A lot rides on the Flames' newcomers. The Oilers will clearly be better than last season, not just due to Schultz and Yakupov, but the fact that their young dudes should be better in general. If the Flames are stagnant or worse, Oilers will probably bypass them; if the additions do as well as they could, then the Flames may keep up with the Oilers and outdo them for another season.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
It's all about current form in a shortened season like this.

Some guys aren't playing.
Some are playing, here, there, wherever.
Some are playing together, on the same line, in the closest league to the NHL.

I think you get my point. Hall-RNH-Eberle are going to have a considerable head start advantage for what might be the first 3 weeks to a month. Between that, the addition of Schultz and health of Ryan Whitney I think the Oilers are going to easily make the playoffs.

I think there defensive shortcomings and weakness in goal is overblown. I also think these areas are improving. And clearly their forward group is getting completely out of hand.

They may not win many 2-1 games - nor will they need to. This is looking like old school fire wagon 5-3 hockey if you ask me.

I'm glad a lot of people disagree so we can bump this :)

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Entirely possible. A lot rides on the Flames' newcomers. The Oilers will clearly be better than last season, not just due to Schultz and Yakupov, but the fact that their young dudes should be better in general. If the Flames are stagnant or worse, Oilers will probably bypass them; if the additions do as well as they could, then the Flames may keep up with the Oilers and outdo them for another season.

I agree. I think we may improve somewhere between 20-40%, the Oilers will improve somewhere between 30-70% and it remains to be seen if we'll stay ahead of them for one more year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yes I think they will.

And no they may not have a Crosby, but I think RNH is gonna be another Sakic level of player and Eberle is one hell of a player as well. I'm not sold on Hall yet and Yakupov is an unknown but he is dynamic. Schultz looks to be the real deal and Whitney if healthy will be a big boost for them. Also, Gagner could be a huge factor as well Hemsky if healthy will add more 2nd line scoring. Their biggest issues are defence and goaltending, but they sure will have no problems putting the puck in the net.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Probably. They've had key guys playing and that should pay off in immediate gains out the gate. The teams are definitely on different paths and its only a matter of time. Time seems about right.

Gary83*

Only if Flames finish deadlast in the entire NHL. Oilers will be bottom feeders, yet again. Losing breeds losing. The Oilers are the kings of losing.

Schultz will probably end up -15 or more.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think all the Canadian teams will be mediocre this "season".
Ottawa will probably be the better team, then Vancouver, then Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto/Winnipeg/Montreal all interchanging throughout.

It will be close but I think we finish ahead (yet again, yawn)to close out a full decade of superiority. :naughty:
Although to be fair,most AHL squads were superior during that stretch!:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I could see it, but not because they actually "pass" us. What I see happening is if we stumble, Feaster blows it up, we plummet. Edmonton will probably do alright this year. I think they are still a year away from the playoffs myself, but that should give them enough steam to pass us in this scenario.

I guess I am saying, if Iggy stays in a Flaming C, then no I don't think they will this year.

DouglasQuaid

Blabbed about Mars
May 8, 2010
Not yet. Still too small up front, still too many questions in the back. They're close though.

Gary83*

Oh lawd. I made the grave mistake of seeing if the Oilers had a similar thread on their board, 6 pages of my life that I'll never get back. :cry:

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Anything can happen in a shortened season, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question. But no, I don't think so. I'm actually (cautiously) optimistic with what I have heard from Hartley. Excited to see some offensive hockey and no more of that dreadful dump and chase crap.

Schultz will probably end up -15 or more.

Schultz actually looks like the real deal, unfortunately. I've come away pretty impressed with him in the ABB/OKC games I watched this year. I wish the Flames would have nabbed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad