Is this the most optimistic you've been about the Canucks since 2011?

Is this the most optimistic you've been about the Canucks since 2011?

• Yes

Votes: 62 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 50.4%

• Total voters

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
With Boesermania running rampant and our established young players in the NHL like Horvat and Baertschi, followed by our draft picks who are performing way above expectations in almost every league .... Is this the most excited you've been for the team since the cup run? I feel like this is true for me. For the first time in a while, I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. Our rebuild is not far away from completion.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
No, I was much more optimistic in 2011-12 and 2012-13. While it's great that we have guys like Boeser, Horvat, and Pettersson, we're still a good ways away from being out of a rebuild unless we're happy being a mediocre, middle of the league standings team. I have no faith in Benning and Linden, and I can't help but think another terrible move is around the corner based on all of the bad trades, signings, early draft picks, handling of prospects, etc. in the past four years.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'm pessimistic about this, it's a strong draft and again we seem to be trying to hurt our chances in the lottery. The quicker this team implodes the better.

Imagine if we can get a top 5 pick this year, that would basically turn this franchise around.

Reactions: The Drop

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
A first overall or a second overall draft pick in the right year like the next two would elevate this team to the top. We would have as bright of a future has any team in the league.

We're Winnipeg/Toronto without Matthews/Laine. Need the lotto balls to go our way.

Aquire more picks and continue building the depth of the prospect pool.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's a relative question, in my opinion.

2011 Orca was one win away from the cup. This Orca is not even close to that.

I do feel a little better about the team than I did at season start. The Killer B line is looking very good. But the team still needs more talent. If I am to truly envision a bright future about this team, this vision, at the moment, is filled with "IF's." For me I need a little more than that.

Plus, with Dim Jim at the helm it just kinda kills the positive buzz I have.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'll grant that Boeser and Pettersson are probably the most exciting prospects we've had coming down the pipe since Bure. Even the Twins, as good as they ended up being, had pretty substantial growing pains and development to get through before becoming impact players. For Boeser to step into an NHL role as an impact forward right away - and for Pettersson to dominate a mens' league as a teenager - is damn exciting.

But all that said...this is still a team that is a ways away from competing in the playoffs, much less for the Cup.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I thought that they were contenders in 11-12 and 12-13, so no, but this is the most optimistic I've been since the tanking began. They finally have a breakout player, maybe the first of this magnitude since Kesler.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We're on a long path back to being a contending team, and it takes a lot more than just making the right draft choices (something we've failed to do with 2 absolutely critical Top 6 picks) to get back to contention.

Still have to properly develop the assets we have and surround them with the right role players, mentors, and supporting group, and do it all under the cap.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Nobody should be more optimistic about the team now than they were 7 or so years ago.

However, this is probably the most fun I've ever had watching the Canucks. 2011 came with a lot of tenseness and nerves. I don't feel any anxiety at all while watching games and I can just sit back and relax. Obviously what the young guys are doing is extremely encouraging to boot.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Horvat
Boeser
Pettersson
Demko
Gaudette
Lind
Dahlen
Juolevi

Yeah nothing to be optimistic about.

Juolevi? Lol. Not optimistic there. All he does is remind me of who we passed up.

As long as Linden and Benning are in charge, there's nothing to be optimistic about.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
FYI....

As of this date (November 23) in the disaster year of Torts....

Canucks record: 11-8-4

Canucks record as of this date: 11-8-3

Has the team been entertaining AND performed WAY ABOVE my expectations? Of course; but one should be cautiously optimistic.

Good thing Green is not going to go rogue like Torts and destroy this team from within.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
No, but Boeser and Pettersson are doing a phenomenal job dulling the pain we've been enduring.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted yes but I probably should have voted no. I was certainly more optimistic in 2012.

member 105785

No, 2012 and 2013 were very solid years. Most optimistic since 2014 I guess.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
After being up 2-0 against the Bruins, I've learned never to be optimistic as a Canucks fan

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad