Is this the end of Zetterberg?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I have thought it over and maybe Rasmussen isn't such a bad choice.

:p
Captain Jimmy Howard!
But seriously we have no good candidates after z. Kronwall would be obvious but he's done too.
Gotta go with Larkin even though he's young

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The drop on goals makes me wonder if the back is flaring up again. Would make sense if he isn't able to shoot. Any significant change in shot attempts?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Kronwall has zero shot of contending for the C, He only has one more year left after this. And then will retire maybe he calls it quits next year don't know. If Z were to get dealt i could see Abby get the C next then Larkin.
I highly doubt they're going to give the c to a player like Abby. If I had to put money on it I'd bet the farm on Larkin. Virtual lock, imo.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Zetterberg were ever traded, I'm confident the team would go with 3 As to round-out the year. As far as the players are concerned, regardless of his play, all I've ever heard from the mouth of the horse(s) is that Kronwall is the voice in the locker-room, the most reputable player, the athlete you'd most want to emulate on the team, etc. That always surprised me but if he were around without Z, he'd be our man, whether wearing the stitched C or not. H'ed at least be the acting C.

As far as captains of the future go, I think everything about the organization's opinion of him from draft day, their promotion of him to the roster and as a PR player, and his role on the ice this year says that Larkin gets the next C.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Many of us wondered how the Red Wings would have looked last year if Zetterberg wasn't so damn awesome. We're getting our answer.
Zetterberg is on a 22-game scoreless streak. That's more than a quarter of the season. In 22 games, he's got a 0-8-8 -6 line. He's playing 19:12/night.
The Red Wings are 7-10-5 over that spell.

Obviously, nobody expects him to Sheahan the rest of the season. But assuming his production stays low, it seems easy to imagine that Zetterberg will just quit at the end of the season. Hopefully he does the LTIR thing and the NHL doesn't hold his pre-season comments against the Red Wings. If the Wings are unable to get the LTIR, the cap penalty will be rough for a few years.

But I think it could be time to start thinking about the end of Zetterberg as a Detroit Red Wing.

What would that mean for Detroit next year?
It might open a spot for Rasmussen at C.

Larkin
Nielsen
Rasmussen
Glendening

But does Rasmussen enter the NHL as a C?

Whether Z LTIRS or not, it will open up cap space, especially if Mrazek is allowed to leave.
Will Holland go out and sign Jack Johnson?
Maybe Johnson and Rick Nash?

Nash is still only 33. Johnson is just 30.
With the cap going up to $80M, you could fit both if you don't overpay Larkin/Mantha/Athanasiou.

You might even be able to make a pitch for Tavares.

Even if he went LTIR it would hurt. The cap would have to go up over $25 million... all the way to $103 million... for the Wings to beat the preseason 10% overage.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Realistically the second half of this season on they need to stop double shifting Z and put him in the middle 6 with Larkin being given top line duties or sharing them with Nielsen.

Reactions: lomekian

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
If Zetterberg were ever traded, I'm confident the team would go with 3 As to round-out the year. As far as the players are concerned, regardless of his play, all I've ever heard from the mouth of the horse(s) is that Kronwall is the voice in the locker-room, the most reputable player, the athlete you'd most want to emulate on the team, etc. That always surprised me but if he were around without Z, he'd be our man, whether wearing the stitched C or not. H'ed at least be the acting C.

As far as captains of the future go, I think everything about the organization's opinion of him from draft day, their promotion of him to the roster and as a PR player, and his role on the ice this year says that Larkin gets the next C.

Kronner always comes a cross as more vocal, and more of a traditional warrior chief than Z, but Zetterberg's combination of talent, consistency, work ethic and on ice willingness to help line mates means he was always the more likely Captain.

Larkin, is, as you say, the coming man, unless we draft someone who blows our minds between now and then.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Kronner always comes a cross as more vocal, and more of a traditional warrior chief than Z, but Zetterberg's combination of talent, consistency, work ethic and on ice willingness to help line mates means he was always the more likely Captain.

Larkin, is, as you say, the coming man, unless we draft someone who blows our minds between now and then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abdelkader is Captain before Larkin. The moment that happens is the moment I hop to a different team.

Afterall, Abdelkader has been Holland's prodical son and even Captain team USA in 2014 world championships. You know the same WCs that he got USA eliminated with his 5 minute major vs the Czechs. Should I mention that wasn't his first charging penalty of the game either?

Reminds me of when he kept taking stupid penalties in the 3rd period of all those games during the SJs series.

1 more thing, that was the 2nd suspension he received during that tournament. Oh boy, what a leader.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Abdelkader is Captain before Larkin. The moment that happens is the moment I hop to a different team.

Afterall, Abdelkader has been Holland's prodical son and even Captain team USA in 2014 world championships. You know the same WCs that he got USA eliminated with his 5 minute major vs the Czechs. Should I mention that wasn't his first charging penalty of the game either?

Reminds me of when he kept taking stupid penalties in the 3rd period of all those games during the SJs series.

1 more thing, that was the 2nd suspension he received during that tournament. Oh boy, what a leader.

Larkin will get the C after Zetterberg easily IMO, they are already starting the marketing push for that kid.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Even if he went LTIR it would hurt. The cap would have to go up over $25 million... all the way to $103 million... for the Wings to beat the preseason 10% overage.

That's actually not true.

Franzen is ok'd for SOIR (Season Opening LTIR) which I believe applies if you've been out the entire previous year. So his 3.9M is off the cap before calculating the cap.

Z going LTIR would be 6M. Why on earth would they need 20M for it?

Kronner would more likely retire than go on LTIR, so the Wings would have 3M recapture not 4.75M LTIR.

I don't understand your math in the slightest.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Franzen is ok'd for SOIR (Season Opening LTIR) which I believe applies if you've been out the entire previous year. So his 3.9M is off the cap before calculating the cap.

Kronner would more likely retire than go on LTIR, so the Wings would have 3M recapture not 4.75M LTIR.

Why would there be recapture for Kronwall? He didn't sign one of those 10 year+ deals, and didn't sign his latest contract after 35+? If he retires early his contract should come off the books, as he wouldn't get paid for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why would there be recapture for Kronwall? He didn't sign one of those 10 year+ deals, and didn't sign his latest contract after 35+? If he retires early his contract should come off the books, as he wouldn't get paid for it.
Franzen, Kronwall, and Z all got hit with recapture.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Length of contract doesn't matter. It is cash value of contract vs. cap hit of contract. Teams need to account for the cap hit that they avoided by paying a guy more than his AAV in previous years. Kronner's contract had a couple 6M years, I think but the average got pulled down to 4.75 by some like 3M and 1M years at the end.

And no... Niklas Kronwall is 36 going on 37 in January. He did not just sign his deal last year.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Incorrect... unless Hank mysteriously gets hurt in the future and meets the following criteria:

"15.6 Any Player who becomes disabled during Training Camp, or who reports to Training
Camp disabled as a result of a hockey related injury incurred during the off-season, and who has
qualified during the preceding season, including Playoffs, for at least fifty (50) games credit for
the purposes of the Pension Plan
or is on a one-way SPC, shall receive his Paragraph 1 NHL
Salary and Signing Bonus until he receives appropriate medical clearance."

Assuming that the Wings would be dangerously close to circumvention if they attempt to burry Hamk, I added their hits.

$3.95
+
$6.08

I moved the decimal one too far last post, so the cap would need to be $100.3 million to totally hide both of them. People think the LTIR is some magical beast that fixes everything... it isn't.

The SOIR cant help the Wings here, not now, not without something catastrophic happening to Hank this next offseason.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Zetterberg at most sticks it out one more year, and that'll likely be a reduced role.

He's not going to play 2C or 3C on the last two years of that contract for $1M a year.

Kronwall will be LTIRetired next year. He's not getting the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad