Is this really a bad draft for Europeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
All the talk from the experts about this draft is how great it is for NA, but dreadful for Europe. While that may be true depth wise - Europe has produced some of the better prospects for this draft. Just look at the names:

Anze Kopitar
Marty Hanzal
Marek Zagrapan
Tuuka Rask
Nik Bergfors
Jakub Kindl
Ondrej Pavelec

And then theres sleepers like Istomin, Zubov, Laakso, Mijkus, Anikienko. I dont think this European crop is as terrible as everyone thinks for this draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There's some nice European talent, but make no mistake, this is definately a North America dominated draft. The absence of any real Russian presence is clearly evident. There's a great chance no Russian player will be picked in the first round, which is pretty unusual.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
There's some decent Russians but they're only decent compared to recent drafts.

We all know the Russians from 04

03 had Zherdev
02 had Grebeshkov and Babchuk
01 had Kovalchuk, Svitov and Chistov
2000 was filled with Russians.

There's a good chance in 05 a Russian won't be picked in the first round.

It hurts the euro pool when their strongest country has an average draft.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
monster_bertuzzi said:
Europe has produced some of the better prospects for this draft. Just look at the names:

Anze Kopitar
Marty Hanzal
Marek Zagrapan
Tuuka Rask
Nik Bergfors
Jakub Kindl
Ondrej Pavelec
You kind of answered your own question there. Listed are 7 players with I'd say 6 going in the 1st round. That means 24 NA players. 24-6 speaks for itself.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
ryz said:
You kind of answered your own question there. Listed are 7 players with I'd say 6 going in the 1st round. That means 24 NA players. 24-6 speaks for itself.

Not to mention Zagrapan played in North America this year, so he's not even considered "European" for all intents and purposes.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
All the talk from the experts about this draft is how great it is for NA, but dreadful for Europe. While that may be true depth wise - Europe has produced some of the better prospects for this draft. Just look at the names:

Anze Kopitar
Marty Hanzal
Marek Zagrapan
Tuuka Rask
Nik Bergfors
Jakub Kindl
Ondrej Pavelec

And then theres sleepers like Istomin, Zubov, Laakso, Mijkus, Anikienko. I dont think this European crop is as terrible as everyone thinks for this draft.

I just talked with a WHL scout about this very thing and he said, in his opinion (and several others he said), that because of the N.A influx into Europe this past year (due to lock out 'natch) alot of kids didn't get a whole lot of quality playing time...and if they did...often it was not with the "big" clubs. So he thinks that there will be a number of Europeans (Swedes especially he said) who go higher than rated and will include some names that maybe Joe-fan hasn't heard of yet
(a la Edler).

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
ryz said:

monster_bertuzzi said:
All the talk from the experts about this draft is how great it is for NA, but dreadful for Europe. While that may be true depth wise
-

I agree with the consensus that NA rules this draft, but the top-end Euro talent is really under-appreciated.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
The thought of the draft being N.A. dominated was widely spread last September, but that was before some Euros started making noise. Kopitar wasn't top 10 material back then, now some pencil him going 2nd or 3rd, and having the most potential behind Crosby. Same goes for Hanzal. He was borderline first rounder, not has a shot at a top 10 selection. Zagrapan also made some noise lately. Russian absence is surely felt, but Kopitar and Hanzal with their tons of potential might wind up the best players from this draft behind Crosby. Both have styles suitable for the new offence oriented NHL, which is a big advantage over a guy like Bourret, who would have thrived more in the old NHL.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Of players listed as Europeans in the final CSS rankings (excluding guys like Trunkho, Zagrapan, and Bartulins). I count about 52 europeans who will be drafted (including goalies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad