Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hyman getting a lot of love on air this morning . Well deserved, the guy has been a beast this series.
I'm glad for him. Well deserved.

As one of the "hyman fanboys" it's good to see him take it up a notch. Impressive actually as I thought that's all the gears he had in the regular season

Hey @Walshy7 can we include playoff points in our bet?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
EVERYONE looks so much better away from Komorov. He is a depth KHL level player now. I really hope he is injured for rest of the playoffs tho bc 100% Egocock will play him again and give him top mins if he is healthy. Your underestimating the fetish Egocock has for him.

I still believe that there was some conspiracy for Komorov after that hit to go down and act out his injury to Save Babcock his pride. But ahem...excuse my tinfoil hat.

Promotion to 1st line, blown out, no offense is sparking from 29 or 34 with 47...
Next period 47 is demoted to 4th line. 5 mins later - First hard hit he takes a breather and goes into the dressing room.

Babs fetish for Hyman is well deserved, he is using his body and is full on intensity every game, and his skill is decent enough as a threat. Not a big threat, but enough that 29 and 34 still look good.

Somehow babs is blind to how Komorov is nowhere near Hyman who is one of the best players in these playoffs, and pretty good all season long.

Komorov has been the worst player 95% of the season and absolutely an anchor during these playoffs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The only chance we have is to sucker them into fire wagon games. They own us in a structured tilt, establish zone and then just pick apart our weak D. I guess you could say... Skate your legs off and don't give them any space, oh and finish your checks to gain a half second or step on them where you can. No penalties either.
Actually if we hold our defensive structure we stand a chance as we saw last night.
Take out the two soft goals and that game would have seemed dominant by the leafs

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm glad for him. Well deserved.

As one of the "hyman fanboys" it's good to see him take it up a notch. Impressive actually as I thought that's all the gears he had in the regular season

Hey @Walshy7 can we include playoff points in our bet?
Excuse me, we're Babcock fanboys, don't you remember? Appreciating Hyman was never a possibility - the only justification was that we thought Babcock could do no wrong.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Was that Andersen save last night the best/biggest in Leafs history?

It's up there. This one is kept us alive in 2013.

620-reimer-patrice-thumb-620xauto-297135.jpg

Reactions: 7even

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Actually if we hold our defensive structure we stand a chance as we saw last night.
Take out the two soft goals and that game would have seemed dominant by the leafs

The structure accompanying the style of play last night or game 1 and 2? Point is they can not get a full 2-3 seconds with the puck per pass in our end anymore. It's just crazy. You have to be on their body right away and none of this puck watching BS. Man to man with quick breakouts, we're the faster team and it was stupid to watch them literally impose their will on us G1 G2

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd treat the Kadri line as the 3rd line and the Bozak line as the 4th line in that scenario, at least in terms of 5v5 usage. I don't think Johnsson or Kapanen need to be sheltered as much at Even Strength as JVR does, and we know Babcock's comfortable with Kadri against any opponent.
Agreed but I doubt it happens though if pleks does the same in game 4 how/why would you move him?
Bozak and Kadri would feast playing against bostons 3rd and 4th lines.
At the least I would want Kadri against Krejci so Matthews and bozak can feast

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not dominant at all. Apparently the "advanced" stats show a very even game and that matches my eye test so I feel confident in saying that it was a very even game. Even if you think the goals were soft (I don't), Andersen made a couple of saves he had no business making so that balances things out.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Excuse me, we're Babcock fanboys, don't you remember? Appreciating Hyman was never a possibility - the only justification was that we thought Babcock could do no wrong.
Haha oh yes but I really thought that was the weakest line of argument so I really gave it no value.
But yes us "Babcock sympathizer"
:laugh:

Reactions: IBeL34f

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The structure accompanying the style of play last night or game 1 and 2? Point is they can not get a full 2-3 seconds with the puck per pass in our end anymore. It's just crazy. You have to be on their body right away and none of this puck watching BS. Man to man with quick breakouts, we're the faster team and it was stupid to watch them literally impose their will on us G1 G2
Sorry I meant game 3. That's why I said we would have a chance.
Before the game I maintained that if we actually play our game and play our hearts out we will win and most likely take the series.
Here's hoping I'm right! :cheers:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Agreed but I doubt it happens though if pleks does the same in game 4 how/why would you move him?
Bozak and Kadri would feast playing against bostons 3rd and 4th lines.
At the least I would want Kadri against Krejci so Matthews and bozak can feast
The first game at least (Game 5) would be Boston's choice of match-up - The brilliance of that depth, though, is that no matter who they put Bergeron/Marchand/Pasta up against, they have 3 of Matthews/Nylander, Marner/Marleau, Kadri/Kapanen, or JVR/Bozak ready to come at them the next shifts.

Great, you can stop one - Can you stop them all?

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not dominant at all. Apparently the "advanced" stats show a very even game and that matches my eye test so I feel confident in saying that it was a very even game. Even if you think the goals were soft (I don't), Andersen made a couple of saves he had no business making so that balances things out.

It was very even and every time we allowed them any space or took our foot off the gas, they started to build momentum. The answer is to apply and keep applying pressure to the slower team and expose Chara. They need to hit Chara including putting the puck in his corner for that purpose specifically.

If we can bang Chara up which is easier than years ago, Kappy and Nylander will find more room up along the boards and start to expose him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If Rielly is going to play like he did last night for the rest of the series, the Leafs have a chance to take this series in 6.

Amazing how much of a difference he makes when he plays to his potential.

His lack of urgency at the point with the puck made me very angry at times yesterday but he definitely played a very good game.

Zaitsev also didn't play like a wet noodle, so that helped.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Was that Andersen save last night the best/biggest in Leafs history?

In recent history its the McElhinney save vs Sid last year. We might not make the playoffs without it. We effectively clinched with that save, but lost the next game. If we had lost that game and the last one we dont make the playoffs.

Last nights was outstanding, but we had a two goal lead and it wasnt an elimination game.

In all of Leafs history probably not. I mean weve won Cups. Those would rank as "biggest"

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Rielly was an absolute beast last night. Amazing game all around.

Andersen was excellent, and that save on Pastrnak was incredible. Just has to tighten up with those rebounds.

I've never understand players like Marchand. Extremely talented, so why act like a goof? I suppose that's part of what makes him effective. But he'd probably be an even better player if he weren't a d-bag.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Rielly is going to play like he did last night for the rest of the series, the Leafs have a chance to take this series in 6.

Amazing how much of a difference he makes when he plays to his potential.

We are going to need a complete buy in from the whole team to do this and actually win the series. It was nice to see after Rielly was a no show G1 G2. I do think we can win this series too.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We were outshot but we had a better outing stopping the easy goals against.
We played well last night and maybe dominant is the wrong word but we were the better team last night imo and the win was justified.
I'm not a stats guy but I saw compete and fight. We won more puck battles than they did. They were on their heels most of the game.
That said Boston is an elite team and they are going to get their share no matter what but we showed well last night and if we keep it up we stand a good chance

Reactions: Dr C and IBeL34f

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The first game at least (Game 5) would be Boston's choice of match-up - The brilliance of that depth, though, is that no matter who they put Bergeron/Marchand/Pasta up against, they have 3 of Matthews/Nylander, Marner/Marleau, Kadri/Kapanen, or JVR/Bozak ready to come at them the next shifts.

Great, you can stop one - Can you stop them all?
If we get all cylinders firing we are a b with an itch to handle.
Now with pleks showing he still hates the bruins more than playing for us, when Kadri is back we have 2 shutdown guys md scoring threats in abundance

Reactions: IBeL34f

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We played well last night and maybe dominant is the wrong word but we were the better team last night imo and the win was justified.
I'm not a stats guy but I saw compete and fight. We won more puck battles than they did. They were on their heels most of the game.
That said Boston is an elite team and they are going to get their share no matter what but we showed well last night and if we keep it up we stand a good chance

Not really. They had plenty of zone time and plenty of good scoring chances. Maybe it seemed better than it was for us because the contrast with the first two games was so big? Anyhow, Boston's played 3 good games now, they're not gonna give us anything and I think we're going to have to be better than we were last night to win on Thursday. And if we pull that off, we still have to win in their house somehow.

It's a very long road to travel to win this series. But at least we've taken the first step now, feels good man.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
His lack of urgency at the point with the puck made me very angry at times yesterday but he definitely played a very good game.

Zaitsev also didn't play like a wet noodle, so that helped.

Very true. The defensive core as a whole was passable, which was nice. They were wretched in game 1 and 2.

Still far too much sloppiness across the board. Also, I'd like to see a little more push back. They were better last night (ie Matthews talking to McAvoy after the slewfoot, Rielly going after Marchand after the shot after the whistle), but there could still be more. The bruins take liberties and you need to hold them accountable.

Reactions: Dr C and thewave

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I agree with this. I remember being surprised when the Bruins took over the lead in SOG, but realized that it was because they were starting to play with a little more desperation in their game.

Games 1 and 2 were undoubtedly in the Bruins favour - While last night didn't look the same kind of dominant for us as it had for them, I thought the tables had turned, and we were seeing a confident, poised Leafs team that was fully capable of putting Boston on their heels. Yes, there were a couple fortunate bounces that went our way, or against the Bruins, but the exact same stuff was happening earlier in the series, too. (I don't find myself agreeing with Grapes as often as I used to (for which I am becoming increasingly thankful) but he was saying last night that everything evens out in hockey, and, in a weird way, I do think he's right.)

Reactions: saltming

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Diamond Joe is bang on!!! He speaks da truth!!!

My only question is what Rielly are we going to see in game4?? Really fast Morgan with a tougher I'm not going to let you take my net attitude or passenger Morgan who skates around aimlessly in his own end?? My second question is what Pleckanec are we going to see in game 4?? Game 3 Pleckanec who is imposing his physical presence on Bergeron and Dick head or passenger Pleckanec who is going through the motions?? Those are the 2 big question marks in my mind. If both guys play like game 3 i have no doubt we will take game 4. My Habs buddy always told me that Pleks can take Bergeron straight up every time. He is right at least last night he did.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Thing is, when Kadri comes back we are away and can no longer dictate matchups. He will resume his normal spot, at least for a game.
That's true forgot about last change there.

Side note, to the people saying we dominated the game. What game were you watching? Very even game with the Leafs coming out on top. If we take a few more penalties we probably lose that game tbh, PK looks bottom 5 in the league right now. Boston also whiffed on empty netters, hit multiple posts, etc. It was a good win for us, but let's not get carried away. We can play much better, and hopefully we will on Thursday.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Is there a reason Marchand doesn't have a hearing for that disgusting knee on knee on Johnsson? Especially given his 39r25903252329503259032 previous dirty hits and suspensions? And the fact that Naz got 3 games??? How is this not a thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad