Is there one player that could put us over the Cup/hump

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

I know many will disagree...but that player may be within our midst.

I still think Good Buff playing to his potential gives us the stud on the backend many are hoping for. It may be wishful thinking, but he is still one of those guys who can take over a game like very few in the league can. (When he’s on) It may be too much to ask for him to play to that level game in, game out but if he plays similar to the way he did earlier in the year, starts getting some pucks through, breaks the goose egg, picks his spots for physicality, and pays a bit more attention in his own zone....he is a huge difference maker for the Jets.

I just can’t see the Jets giving up what would be required to get someone else who would be considered a difference maker. i.e. Karlsson, Tavares, or someone of that level. Unless of course someone gets very desperate for Jacob.

Oh...and if young #29 ever gets untracked, I believe he may help us a bit. ;)

Reactions: purdy44

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Not a single player will help us. We would be fine if we just had good coach. Without a single change on our roster good coach would make us a contender in 3 years at the most (starting with play-offs this year)

Reactions: purdy44 and Mbraunm

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t think you guys have a clue what a center better then Little would cost.

I did say "very" twice lol

Two way centers cost as much as they do because they are so valuable.

A good 3rd liner for Perreault and Armia would definitely help. But that's not a piece that would put the team over the top. It'd still be a 3rd liner, ie: average at best.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Not a single player will help us. We would be fine if we just had good coach. Without a single change on our roster good coach would make us a contender in 3 years at the most (starting with play-offs this year)

So true! I mean, if PoMo has figured out how to screw up his personel management with the current talent on this roster, you could add even more talent and he would screw up any possible combination of that as well.

Reactions: purdy44

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think trading a guy like Trouba--for a "dominant scoring defenseman" like Sergachev from Tampa would go a long way to getting us over the hump. I think we'd have to throw in a pick to Tampa as well, to let Sergachev go, but it be worth it, and save the Jet's having to deal with his contract situation. You know--kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also it wouldn't hurt at all to bring up Roslo for scoring, and Lemieux for grit.
Tampa is not parting with Sergachev, pipe dream to think otherwise

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
So true! I mean, if PoMo has figured out how to screw up his personel management with the current talent on this roster, you could add even more talent and he would screw up any possible combination of that as well.

I think PoMo has a decent system but he is definitely dim sighted when it comes to the lineup, he does not know how to manage players and put it together chemistry wise...

6 games and 1 Win is the result of having your to best Line Drivers on the same line and playing with each other all season and having a scoring drought with a major reason due to the line fixations.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That would not happen, no team in the league would trade McDavid for anything(I also would not want McDavids cap with the future peices we have).
Won't Laine want 10 compared to Mcdavid's 12 million and you move a few pieces around and you have one of the best players in the world.
Connor schief wheeler
Ehlers mcdavid little
Perrault Lowry armia
Copp Mathias tanev
You would probably switch and make the Mcdavid line the top line.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
They need an upgrade at 3C to push Lowry down to the fourth. If the third line could score, it'd take a lot of pressure off the second and they could run something like...

Perreault - Little - Ehlers
Laine - ??? - Armia

Where at least one of Ehlers or Laine gets away from Little, and have a 2A, 2B situation.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They need an upgrade at 3C to push Lowry down to the fourth. If the third line could score, it'd take a lot of pressure off the second and they could run something like...

Laine - ??? - Armia

Where at least one of Ehlers or Laine gets away from Little, and have a 2A, 2B situation.

It would score if you put Armia and Perreault on it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Laine - ??? - Armia

And we have just the guy named Roslo.

Reactions: JetBlue420

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Won't Laine want 10 compared to Mcdavid's 12 million and you move a few pieces around and you have one of the best players in the world.
Connor schief wheeler
Ehlers mcdavid little
Perrault Lowry armia
Copp Mathias tanev
You would probably switch and make the Mcdavid line the top line.

I’d bet Laine gets something near 8m. But again as a Jets fan irony like the deal from our side and you should be damn sure the Oilers side won’t like it...

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Tampa is not parting with Sergachev, pipe dream to think otherwise

Your likely "very right "--Bo -- but you never know ?? If the deal is right for Tampa, they would make the deal. Trouba wants to be there, and we'd have to throw something into the deal--"they really need" --where they are weak. I don't know where they are weak ? but every team wants to fill weak spots.

It's a matter of how much the Jet's want to get rid of Trouba, and get a strong return for him. Myself and other posters on here--do not believe Trouba wants to be here, and it's hard to cheer for a guy that doesn't want to be a Jet, and will be always causing problems-contract demands etc.

If I was Chevy--I'd try to make a deal for Sergachev, and "see what it would take"-and you may be right--they may want way to much, and Chevy would not do that.

I'm going to be advocating for this deal- and if we threw in a first round pick, and maybe Petan, as well as Trouba--"I think it's a done deal."

Don't forget--all that Tampa gave up to get Sergachef -was their 3rd- 1st round overall pick in Drouin, who went to Montreal for Sergachev--so a deal can be made. It's all a matter of "how much" ???

If Tampa were to say--we'll take Ehlers for Sergachev -- "answer is no"

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Your likely "very right "--Bo -- but you never know ?? If the deal is right for Tampa, they would make the deal. Trouba wants to be there, and we'd have to throw something into the deal--"they really need" --where they are weak. I don't know where they are weak ? but every team wants to fill weak spots.

It's a matter of how much the Jet's want to get rid of Trouba, and get a strong return for him. Myself and other posters on here--do not believe Trouba wants to be here, and it's hard to cheer for a guy that doesn't want to be a Jet, and will be always causing problems-contract demands etc.
dream on...
It's nice to see Trouba isn't playing poorly still trying to get himself traded eh?
If I was Chevy--I'd try to make a deal for Sergachev, and "see what it would take"-and you may be right--they may want way to much, and Chevy would not do that.

I'm going to be advocating for this deal- and if we threw in a first round pick, and maybe Petan, as well as Trouba--"I think it's a done deal."

Don't forget--all that Tampa gave up to get Sergachef -was their 3rd- 1st round overall pick in Drouin, who went to Montreal for Sergachev--so a deal can be made. It's all a matter of "how much" ???
If Tampa were to say--we'll take Ehlers fro Sergachev -- "answer is no"

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Well Trouba is playing a lot better--I'll admit, but because of anticipated future problems there may be with him-- it's a good time to see what we can get in return. He's a good young solid defenseman.

In my opinion, if he really wanted to stay, he would have already signed a long term contract like Ehler's did. I believe eventually he'll be traded-we'll see ???

If he does sign--he shouldn't get more than Morrisey IMO, who has played better than him this year--so I don't think you'd want to pay him much more than around $ 6-6.5 mil per year. I think he wants $ 7.5 mil and upwards ??? What's the guy really worth ??? He's not exactly lighting the league on fire -- but his play has been solid lately. If he's going to be a constant headache-"trade him"

Last edited:

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I've been wanting a deal revolving around trouba/barkov. That would bring a good jolt (nothing massive) but creates long term stability also.
And then prying tanev out of vancouver to fill trouba's hole.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I've been wanting a deal revolving around trouba/barkov. That would bring a good jolt (nothing massive) but creates long term stability also.
And then prying tanev out of vancouver to fill trouba's hole.

I doubt that Barkov is an extremely rare talent, he’s a young Francise Center who is Elite in all spaces of the the game, Trouba isn’t far off from being a No.1 Defender but he currently isn’t even in that top tier Echelon for the position he plays while Barkov is beyond that and in the Top 10 of that for his position(a more important and valuable position as well).

For us to get Barkov it would have to look something like this(or more)...

Trouba(extended long term), Connor(maybe Vesalainen or Perreault could switch over but I doubt it), Roslovic, Hutch and like the next 2 First Rounders
for
Barkov.

Although long term our top 6 would look pretty, well pretty.

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Barkov Laine

But again unrealistic.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I understand that a lot of people are looking at the things Hendricks does that are no longer really NHL calibre, and I will agree that those things are there.

What people don't seem to take into account is that players are human beings and sometimes a person is far more valuable than their raw physical abilities. Look at the crash and burn that the Oilers are going through this year. There have been more than a few guys associated with that team that have indicated that the loss of Hendricks is one of the big reasons they feel the Oilers have regressed. (Can't find the source right now because I am "working")

Look at what the guys in the room say about Hendricks. It sounds like he is pretty much like having a player/coach in the lineup. He seems to be a big part of Frenchie's success on that fourth line and as such is far more valuable to the success of this team than people think.

Hockey isn't always about the best talent being on the ice. The Jets have that in spades already. I'm beginning to buy into Hendricks as that valuable cog that somehow gets the talent on the roster to perform better than when he isn't there.

There... I've said provided my two cents worth.

Roast away. (I have a feeling its coming.)

Jetshockey

Nov 13, 2017
I understand that a lot of people are looking at the things Hendricks does that are no longer really NHL calibre, and I will agree that those things are there.

What people don't seem to take into account is that players are human beings and sometimes a person is far more valuable than their raw physical abilities. Look at the crash and burn that the Oilers are going through this year. There have been more than a few guys associated with that team that have indicated that the loss of Hendricks is one of the big reasons they feel the Oilers have regressed. (Can't find the source right now because I am "working")

Look at what the guys in the room say about Hendricks. It sounds like he is pretty much like having a player/coach in the lineup. He seems to be a big part of Frenchie's success on that fourth line and as such is far more valuable to the success of this team than people think.

Hockey isn't always about the best talent being on the ice. The Jets have that in spades already. I'm beginning to buy into Hendricks as that valuable cog that somehow gets the talent on the roster to perform better than when he isn't there.

You can still be that person and sit In the pressbox half the season. Think how much better we would be it we had a real #2/3 center with them. Our third line really isn't a scoring line with 10 goals all season. They would be a great 4th line shutdown. I think that 4th center spot right now is our biggest opportunity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't completely disagree. I think that teams have an important social / cultural dynamic that can't be entirely captured with stats. However, I think Hendricks should no longer be an every game player. I'd spot him in from time to time when the team is lagging, but use a more effective player as the main C for the 4th line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i agree with whoever said Staal. Would also nominate a Jussi Jokinen-like player (player who is a little bit good at everything atleast from 2012-2015 he was) without it being the actual Jussi Jokinen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad