Is there anyone even remotely close to battling Crosby for #1 in 2005??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The NHL just announced the 2005 Entry Draft would take place in Ottawa and that Crosby is a lock at this time for the #1 overall selection.

Is there ANYONE out there that will challenge Mr. Crosby next year or is it possible for the same thing that happened to Jason Spezza, to be hyped #1 so soon and then to be bumped so fast??

2005 looks to be another good year for North America, but at this time no one is ready to rival Crosby. Is there anyone in Europe that could in the next year or so?

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
HabLover said:
The NHL just announced the 2005 Entry Draft would take place in Ottawa and that Crosby is a lock at this time for the #1 overall selection.

Is there ANYONE out there that will challenge Mr. Crosby next year or is it possible for the same thing that happened to Jason Spezza, to be hyped #1 so soon and then to be bumped so fast??

2005 looks to be another good year for North America, but at this time no one is ready to rival Crosby. Is there anyone in Europe that could in the next year or so?

No.

Spezza did not even dominate the OHL at 18 like Crosby is doing in the Q at 16. Spezza was almost right at 2 ppg, Crosby is about 2.3 ppg.

My advice to anyone who does not like Crosby or his hype: Stay away from any source of hockey news next year, because Crosby is not going away. He's only getting better. He will go #1 in 2005. And since i've started following his career i've noticed 1 thing:anyone who doubts him, will be proved wrong.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Gilbert Brule could make it closer than many might think but even so I don't see him catching Crosby. If Crosby keeps up his rate of progress even Brule will be left far behind.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion no one will touch Crosby. If you want to compare him to another player in Spezza think about this. At 16, Spezza had 62 points. Yes it was on a terrible Mississauga team but still. The next year he popped in 116 points. Pretty good I'd say. And people will agree that Spezza is no slouch, and may crack 100 points a few times.
Also noted that Thornton had 76points at 16, Marleau had 72, Lecavalier had 102, and even Lemieux had only 96. The kid is all right I'd say. He also did very well at the WJC and he still leads the entire CHL by a wide margin. Crosby already has 106 points, Corey Locke even has only 93, the next closest. I think it is great for the game to have him come along, as well as Ovechkin, I hope they both turn out great. Hockey needs them right now.
I compare the 2005 draft to that of 1984 or 1991. In 1984 there was Lemieux and then no one held a candle to him. In 1991 Lindros was head and shoulders above everyone else. One year can tell a lot, but Crosby should still be the clear cut #1 overall pick. Brule shouldn't come close even considering he is no slouch either.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
What if Crosby doesn't grow and remains around 5'10 175 lbs at draft time? I'm not certain if he's grown since I last checked, but if he hasn't it might present a problem. No matter how rediculous he is, there's precedent for players dropping because of their size and bigger, less talented players going higher. I just can't recall anyone under 6'0 going 1st overall.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
At the wjcs he was listed at 5'10, 181 lbs so he has grown a few inches over the last couple years. He's still young enough where he could grow another couple inches before draft day. Wendel Clark, in 1985, was the last skater under 6'00 to be drafted number 1 overall, and he was close to 6'0, at 5'11. Also weighed a stocky 197 lbs. Dale Hawerchuk was 5'11 and picked number one in 1981. Crosby is a talent such that even if he stays at 5'10 and 180 lbs he will still be the regarded as the number 1 pick. I'll bet he is 5'11, 188 lbs or so by the 2005 draft day.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MagnusJondus said:
What if Crosby doesn't grow and remains around 5'10 175 lbs at draft time? I'm not certain if he's grown since I last checked, but if he hasn't it might present a problem. No matter how rediculous he is, there's precedent for players dropping because of their size and bigger, less talented players going higher. I just can't recall anyone under 6'0 going 1st overall.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Some of his competetion isnt very big either

Brule- 5'11 170
Bertram-5'10 160

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, let's pass on Crosby, AND pass on Brule and Bertram, so that we can draft a 6-4, 220 pounder that can't skate, has zero hockey sense and is the second coming of Brent Bilodeau... :mad:

I certainly hope Martin St. Louis and others are changing the perception around the league that size matters more than anything else in the sport of hockey. Hockey sense is first and foremost in terms of attributes teams should look for when drafting, especially in the first round.

As for comparisons of the 2005 draft with 1984 and 1991, well let's hope Crosby is more like Lemieux and less like Lindros. After all, 10 years later, which player would you choose first overall...Lindros or Scott Niedermayer???

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
As for comparisons of the 2005 draft with 1984 and 1991, well let's hope Crosby is more like Lemieux and less like Lindros. After all, 10 years later, which player would you choose first overall...Lindros or Scott Niedermayer???

He will be like Lemieux. He will come in and save the Penguins

The Big P

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Yeah, let's pass on Crosby, AND pass on Brule and Bertram, so that we can draft a 6-4, 220 pounder that can't skate, has zero hockey sense and is the second coming of Brent Bilodeau... :mad:

I certainly hope Martin St. Louis and others are changing the perception around the league that size matters more than anything else in the sport of hockey. Hockey sense is first and foremost in terms of attributes teams should look for when drafting, especially in the first round.

Lindros

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Fedz said:
There only 16...They will grow people relax.

It's such a shame there's so little to talk about this draft that conversation over Chris Durand or Guillaume Latendresse dominates over Cam Barker or Marek Schwarz :joker:

Not to mention the talk is of 2005's projected 1st overall pick Sidney Crosby saving the Penguins and none over 2004 projected 1st overall choice Alex Ovechkin doing the same... granted Crosby's the better player anyway...

it just seems everyone is getting ahead of themselves, which is more humourous than a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad