Is There Any Way to get TSN in America?

I am Jack's Fish

MannyRules said:
Is there any way for me to get TSN in Columbus, Ohio.

FInd a Canadian friend who is in the "know" and willing to help yu out...

Then keep it to personal messages...if you know what I am saying.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I believe in America. Anything is possible in America. I will make your cable guy an offer he can't refuse. But someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. Until that day, accept this justice as gift on my team's day of victory.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

ResidentAlien*

MannyRules said:
Is there any way for me to get TSN in Columbus, Ohio.
I was in a sports bar..northern WA, and they had Direct TV..they had TSN. I have comcast, and as many packages as you could get(almost) they don;t have it.
I may switch next year myself, as they also carry HDNet, which has alot more HD hockey.

Check them out

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
ResidentAlien said:
I was in a sports bar..northern WA, and they had Direct TV..they had TSN. I have comcast, and as many packages as you could get(almost) they don;t have it.
I may switch next year myself, as they also carry HDNet, which has alot more HD hockey.

Check them out

You sure it wasn't just a Centre Ice broadcast?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
TSN isn't offered in America unless you go grey market and get the bell expressvu signal.

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
MannyRules said:
How pretty is that penny though, is it Claire Danes pretty or Jessica Alba pretty(the good kind)

Depends how many beers you have in you.

To get expressvue you'll have to buy the equipment, so figure $100 for that up front for a basic system. Then figure $47 cdn (~$40 US) per month for the programming.

I've been thinking about doing this myself; buying the Canadian satellite system for my home in the USA; I really wish Directv would offer a 'Canadian tier' of programming that would include maybe 7 or 8 Canadian channels. I can get about 20 different freaking Chinese channels if I want them but no CBC, MuchMusic or TSN. Stupid, stupid.

Last edited:

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
ResidentAlien said:

Check them out

Had to have been a Centre Ice broadcast. I spend way too much time watching sports on Directv not to know if TSN was added. It is nice to have TSN, Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada (CBC) feeds for hockey at least. It's a bit more like being back home in the land of Tim's and Ketchup chips this way.

HDNet is pretty sweet for the hockey. You also get some OLN games in HD. Plus they've started picking up some FoxSports games in HD as well - not too many yet and usually Pittsburgh's feed only (don't ask me why). In my market now I get the locals in HD as well so ABC games are carried in HD too. All in all probably get about 2-3 games on a good week in HD. There is still a ways to go but it's a pretty good increase from the 03/04 season and it should hopefully be even better next year for HD broadcasts.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
IF the issue is getting more games and more indepth highlights, NHL Network (co-owned by TSN) is expected to launch into the States in the fall. You can get a preview of the highlight show starting Friday on OLN @ 1 am ET and throughout the playoffs.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Evil Genius said:
Depends how many beers you have in you.

To get expressvue you'll have to buy the equipment, so figure $100 for that up front for a basic system. Then figure $47 cdn (~$40 US) per month for the programming.

I've been thinking about doing this myself; buying the Canadian satellite system for my home in the USA; I really wish Directv would offer a 'Canadian tier' of programming that would include maybe 7 or 8 Canadian channels. I can get about 20 different freaking Chinese channels if I want them but no CBC, MuchMusic or TSN. Stupid, stupid.

Yeh thats the way to go if you want to be all legal. I'm pretty sure there are ways around the programming fees.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
MannyRules said:
How pretty is that penny though, is it Claire Danes pretty or Jessica Alba pretty(the good kind)

Haha. That reminds me of--- "We were looking for mary anne from Gilligan's Island ugly not Cornelius from planet of the apes ugly".

ResidentAlien*

Evil Genius said:
Had to have been a Centre Ice broadcast. I spend way too much time watching sports on Directv not to know if TSN was added. It is nice to have TSN, Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada (CBC) feeds for hockey at least. It's a bit more like being back home in the land of Tim's and Ketchup chips this way.

HDNet is pretty sweet for the hockey. You also get some OLN games in HD. Plus they've started picking up some FoxSports games in HD as well - not too many yet and usually Pittsburgh's feed only (don't ask me why). In my market now I get the locals in HD as well so ABC games are carried in HD too. All in all probably get about 2-3 games on a good week in HD. There is still a ways to go but it's a pretty good increase from the 03/04 season and it should hopefully be even better next year for HD broadcasts.

hmm, all I know is on my CI feed, I have never seen the TSN Panel( Bob M etc)and there they were. But hey this bar is owned by Canadians ( even have a vintage Linden Jersey hangin up..in the usa!!) so maybe they have one of those special boxes, I just can't see that though..
You're probably right.
As far as the HD goes, over here only the occasional OLN game is broadcast over on INHD, but the NBS saturday games are all HD of course. Im hoping the HD broadcast is ramped up next year, I bought a brand new 50" dlp as soon as I heard the NHL was back, all I got this year was one stinking Van game in HD, and we got smoked against Dallas
:(

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
Evil Genius said:
I really wish Directv would offer a 'Canadian tier' of programming that would include maybe 7 or 8 Canadian channels. I can get about 20 different freaking Chinese channels if I want them but no CBC, MuchMusic or TSN. Stupid, stupid.

Has nothing to do with DIRECTV, but NAFTA...

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
ResidentAlien said:
hmm, all I know is on my CI feed, I have never seen the TSN Panel( Bob M etc)and there they were. But hey this bar is owned by Canadians ( even have a vintage Linden Jersey hangin up..in the usa!!) so maybe they have one of those special boxes, I just can't see that though..
You're probably right.
As far as the HD goes, over here only the occasional OLN game is broadcast over on INHD, but the NBS saturday games are all HD of course. Im hoping the HD broadcast is ramped up next year, I bought a brand new 50" dlp as soon as I heard the NHL was back, all I got this year was one stinking Van game in HD, and we got smoked against Dallas
:(

I get the TSN feeds of games all the time. Even games between two US teams if TSN is carrying it. So I get to see Bob MacKenzie and those guys during intermissions. I do wish I could watch Sportscentre though.

Nice about the TV...I got a 50' (Samsung) DLP too. Awesome TV. I only got one Leaf game and one Thrashers game in HD. I do hope they keep adding more games next year.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Driftwood said:
Penguins
Avalanche
Nashville
Sabres
Atlanta
Toronto

Google is your friend.

Google

Fata
Theodore
Alexander ovechkin

The one mentioned above isn't all that great.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
rabi said:
Has nothing to do with DIRECTV, but NAFTA...

How so? We get American chanels in Canada, so I don't see why getting Canadian Chanels in the US is a problem under NAFTA....

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Egil said:
How so? We get American chanels in Canada, so I don't see why getting Canadian Chanels in the US is a problem under NAFTA....

no it has nothing to do with NAFTA. :shakehead

It is all about the FCC (US) and CRTC (Canada), they have different ratings on different programs. Neither of them can rate content from the other country, thus, we have different cable systems.

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
PortlandRanger said:

It is all about the FCC (US) and CRTC (Canada), they have different ratings on different programs. Neither of them can rate content from the other country, thus, we have different cable systems.

That's odd. I remember being able to get Buffalo channels on my cable up in Canada when I still lived there because I'd watch Sabres games sometimes. I'm pretty sure my folks get US network TV channels on their expressvue. And down here in the USA up until about 4 or 5 years ago we got the regular Much Music (before MM USA or Fuse came along).

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Evil Genius said:
That's odd. I remember being able to get Buffalo channels on my cable up in Canada when I still lived there because I'd watch Sabres games sometimes. I'm pretty sure my folks get US network TV channels on their expressvue. And down here in the USA up until about 4 or 5 years ago we got the regular Much Music (before MM USA or Fuse came along).

Im talking about American/Canadian cable/dish systems. Your right though, local channels are provided to both countries, however in the US only states close to the border get canadian channels. The FCC has no control over any cable system derived from canada and vice versa with the CRTC.

GWhale*

PortlandRanger said:

That is completely wrong, and frankly, pretty ridiculous. The channels are different because different companies own different entities in each country. Canadian demographics are different, and they sell different products and services in Canada. Also, the CBC doesn't broadcast in the USA because it is run by the Canadian government. Not to mention, shows, movies, sports, etc. sell their rights to different channels in different countries, TSN would be broadcasting many of the events that ESPN owns the rights to if it came to America, for example, and thus cannot sell its channel here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->