FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Games like:

Warcraft 1,2,3.
Starcraft 1,2
Command & Conquer: Red Alert

I ****ing LOVED those games back in the early 2000s. It seems like they don't make them anymore though :( Or do they and i just dont know?

To be far, I think Warcraft 1 was the first online game i ever played with a friend of the phone line, so it felt ****ing AMAZING.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm a huge RTS fan. C&C and Warcraft were my jam. Actually, Command and Conquer 3 still holds up in my opinion.

Sadly the Golden Age of RTS seems to have passed us by in favour of the Age of the MOBA.

There are some good modern ones, but none that come close to the level of those gems. Recently, I've played:

Act of Aggression (recently re-released) - Solid multiplayer/skirmish game that reminds me of C&C Generals. Campaign isn't bad, necessarily, but it is a little generic and uninteresting.

8-Bit Armies - A simple $15 clone of Command and Conquer (complete with a Frank Klepacki soundtrack) with a Minecraft-esque aesthetic, but no real campaign and only one faction. Gets old rather fast.

Grey Goo - Easily the most unique one I've played recently, it's quite a bit of fun but seems to lack scale. Has three unique and interesting factions, and a very good campaign IMO - except that it's ridiculously short. Also has an awesome Frank Klepacki soundtrack.

Both 8-Bit and Goo are by Petroglyph, which has a bunch of guys that were from Westwood.

A couple others I haven't played but are getting pretty decent reviews are Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (apparently limited multiplayer replayability but great campaign) and Ashes of the Singularity (big scale, great visual effects).

Starcraft II is apparently still the modern king with Legacy of the Void.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Supreme commander.

Halo wars 2 is coming out this year or next. Probably won't be that great though. It's a dying genre.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
As a Cold War slappy, Wargame: European Escalation is a game I've been meaning to pick up for ages.

I always loved how classic RTS games loved, but hated their build-and-rush clickfest style. Hence why when I play Civ I'm a turtle/builder kinda guy :)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Want something new and fresh. Like i said the game is 6 years old (expansions or not).

There's really nothing new or fresh that comes anywhere close to that quality, then.

Like others have said, RTS has basically been canabalized by MOBAs. No one is making these games anymore.

Legacy of the Void is a great expansion and came out just this year. "SC2 is six years old" is disingenuous.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yes they are not made in the numbers as they once were. Its even more dead than CRPGs were in the early-mid 2000s before the ARPG open world thing blew up.

Act of Aggression - http://store.steampowered.com/app/318020/
Dragon Commander - http://store.steampowered.com/app/243950/

Dragon Commander definitely is on the hybrid side of things but it has a distinct RTS portion if a bit shallow. Act of Aggression is more traditional.

Sun Age is a pretty neat throwback game made in the mid 2000's a lot of people probably didn't play:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/318650/?

Worth a look if you want something to play, it's not a upper echelon game though. The first 3rd is pretty good IIRC, the middle and late game campaigns are not as well done. Though I haven't played it since it was released so my memory is a tad hazy on it.

There's also a Dawn of War 3 happening, though if it goes the way of DoW 2 it will be more Real Time Tactics than Strategy.

Do the Total War games count as RTS? Or does that have its own sub-genre?

Given that the game really has two distinct modes, I'd call it a hybrid of Real Time Tactics (not strategy, no on the fly base building/research) and Some watered down turn based Grand Strategy thing.

It probably is unique enough as a hybrid to just call it Total war games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if we'll ever see a Warcraft 4? Warcraft 3 is almost 15 years old. That's crazy. I would play the **** out of that game lol.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I've been wondering this too. When I think of WC 1+2, I get a wonderful rush of nostalgia. Playing online with my buddies with the 56k dial up lol.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I'll gladly take another Valkyria Chronicles game.

VC doesn't really strike me as a RTS. It is more of a Tactical RPG and 3rd person Shooter. That being said I agree I would love more Valkyria Chronicles.

I've been wondering this too. When I think of WC 1+2, I get a wonderful rush of nostalgia. Playing online with my buddies with the 56k dial up lol.

I remember doing this as well, nothing speaks heart ache like when you are about to defeat your friend and your parents pick up the phone to disconnect you.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
You still have the Paradox game series like Hearts if iron (IV is coming on Monday next week), Europa Universalis, Victoria and etc.

Although they are not the same kind of RTS games as you mentioned.

Then there are the Close Combat games even if the graphics in them are quite dated by now but a new title with 3D graphics is under development.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_(series)

Cossacks III is also coming this year. CI was really fun but CII's maps were way to small. http://www.cossacks3.com/

You have a chronological view of past, present and future games here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yeah I guess VC is more turn-based with 3rd person shooting elements. How about another Tom Clancy EndWar or at least something like it. Hell, I'll even take another Brother-in-Arm's game.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
There's really nothing new or fresh that comes anywhere close to that quality, then.

Like others have said, RTS has basically been canabalized by MOBAs. No one is making these games anymore.

Legacy of the Void is a great expansion and came out just this year. "SC2 is six years old" is disingenuous.

Especially since Legacy of the Void is the best of the three games.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Company of heroes franchise is pretty good. More frantic and fast paced than general rts games though. And some balance issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad