Is there any other hit like this in NHL history? (Luke Richardson vs. Tony Granato)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This is from the 1989 season. I can't watch this without laughing because how in the world did Granato slide - and I mean just literally slide - from inside the blue line to the end boards? I have never seen the after effects of a hit like that in my life. When has a player ever done that any other time?

Watch at 26:10

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
He slid a long distance because he had a lot of speed, and the hit, while it hurt him, didn't actually provide much resistance, and due to the fact he was hurt, he didn't stop himself (as would normally be the case).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He slid a long distance because he had a lot of speed, and the hit, while it hurt him, didn't actually provide much resistance, and due to the fact he was hurt, he didn't stop himself (as would normally be the case).

Oh I know, it was the momentum that guided him all of the way down. I just don't know if we have ever seen a hit quite like that.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
So what I gather is the Dominik Hasek-Marian Gaborik play was Hasek's revenge for the Mario Gosselin-Brian Skrudland play......those goalies are a fraternity and my oh my are their memories long!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
... slide - from inside the blue line to the end boards?
Well, he hit the ice just above the face-off circle, so the slide itself wasn't so far.

There have been much bigger hits.

Little ol' Kasparaitis knocked Jagr and Lindros out, cleaned Mario Lemieux's clock twice, prompting Mario to ask the organization to acquire him (so as not to have to face him) and they did and here are some more spectacular hits Darius made as one of the Pens:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Didn't Modano slide a distance on the Messier "hit"?

Yes he did. That wasn't even the worst thing that happened to him either on that play. The paramedics dropped him when they had him strapped to the stretcher.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well, he hit the ice just above the face-off circle, so the slide itself wasn't so far.

There have been much bigger hits.

Not so much whether there have been bigger hits is what I was looking for. It is the sliding that I was looking for the most. How many hits has a player just kept sliding on the ice like that? Someone mentioned the Modano hit that Messier dished out in 1994. That's somewhat comparable. Honestly, I have never seen a hit where the momentum of a player that was hit caused him to slide that far. I think it is unique.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes he did. That wasn't even the worst thing that happened to him either on that play. The paramedics dropped him when they had him strapped to the stretcher.
You have to wonder what Modano thought when he watched that later and realized it had been televised...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You have to wonder what Modano thought when he watched that later and realized it had been televised...

According to Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em 6 Cherry states that he was laughing about it afterwards. I think I would be too. The clip of the paramedic grimacing just before he drops Modano is funny. You feel for the guy. Modano wasn't small.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Messier on Modano...

Then the damn medics dropped him.

Speaking of Messier, my goodness. He'd be on death row today for these. Mess was an assassin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->