Is there any concern for the Leafs' lack of toughness heading into playoffs?

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Before you jump all over me, yes I know, it's 2018 and the game isn't quite what it used to be. But are we "tough enough" for a long playoff run? With Martin out, and Polak in/out that easily puts us amongst the "weakest" or least physical teams in the league. With Komorov's falling out we have no one left who hits with any UMPH and absolutely no one who will step up and drop the gloves or at least get in the face of an opponent if necessary. Could a tougher team bully our big 3 and get under their skin? I'm afraid to say I feel it's coming...

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The idea that the playoffs becomes such a bruising affair is not quite true. The least physical player you'll find is a playoff superstar (Kessel).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The need for toughness these days is situational. You still see teams get intimidated the odd game, but its more from a few big hits then from fighting and you also see small teams that don't give in and the tough game just gives them power play ops. Yes the Leafs are soft as butter but I dont think the B's are the type of team who can exploit that. Tampa has Dotchin of course but they are still a finesse team with their own stars who can be run just as easily. Pittsburgh is almost as soft as TO so if it is an issue it probably only bites them in the SCF against a heavy western team.

Its seems a pretty remote threat but if a team starts pounding on Marner and Willie every chance they get, it could neutralize them. Having a tough team around them probably doesnt prevent that, they just have to adapt, which means more experience and physical maturity, not more goons.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think it will be, but in the case that it is we do have Martin & Polak to put in the lineup. There's good flexibility if the coach elects to use it

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm more concered with their intensity level.
When this team shows up and skates, not many teams can keep up with us.
We have shown sometimes this year a bad habit of not bringing the intensity and attention to detail consistently but its been better recently.
The game nowadays is way more about speed, skill, depth and dictating vs being tough and battled tested.
Compete level and intensity trumphs toughness for me.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Before you jump all over me, yes I know, it's 2018 and the game isn't quite what it used to be. But are we "tough enough" for a long playoff run? With Martin out, and Polak in/out that easily puts us amongst the "weakest" or least physical teams in the league. With Komorov's falling out we have no one left who hits with any UMPH and absolutely no one who will step up and drop the gloves or at least get in the face of an opponent if necessary. Could a tougher team bully our big 3 and get under their skin? I'm afraid to say I feel it's coming...

Naz says hi.

Cleetus

Brick Woll
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I thinks its a bit of yes and no, our speed can be lethal, but if we get caught up in not using our speed we will get wore down on the back end, esp boston as they will try to grind us down. but if we are fast and intense we shouldnt be too worried.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Naw, our boys might not be bruisers, but most of them aren’t afraid to going into the dirty areas like the corners and slot which is all I care about.

Reactions: leburn98

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

No........Marner will step up if needed.........or we could just bring up Bracco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->