is there an error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Our database was recently changed from ID number to player name as the unique identifier. Unfortunately, name is not quite unique. I've brought up the problem. It's also the same thing that is not allowing profiles of players with accent marks to be linked to. I'm sure there will be a resolution soon.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rather than HF adjust its system I'd rather see the NHL adopt a "one name only" approach. Where if your name is already taken by an NHL player or recently drafted individual, you have to come up with a new name. I see this as a more creative solution. I mean, the XFL and "He Hate Me" was wildly successful, right?

I also like the approach my FHL league has taken. Where you get Jarkko Immonen 2004 and Alexandre Picard II.

habsforlife

May 10, 2005
thank you. thing is i wanted to draft him in my fhl league so i had to make my research a little.

but still i took him!

thank you

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Holly Gunning said:
Our database was recently changed from ID number to player name as the unique identifier.

Ugh. Someone failed database 101 when they suggested that move. There's a reason most databases use id's as primary keys, foreign keys, etc.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
They are surely doing URL rewriting to give some additional keyword presence for the search engine.

Step 1:
---------------
Make a fonction that transform ' in -, é in e, etc..

Step 2:
--------------
Instead of only relying on player name to build your url I would suggest something like :
hockeysfuture.com/prospect/1965/05/10/Mario_Lemieux

The chance of having a NHL prospect with the same name and birthdate are remote.

You can always email me at matt [at] utsn.net if you've got some problem, I'm doing SEO as a living.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad