Is there a point value in the nhl draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Like in the NFL the #1 pick is worth like a certain amount of points like lets say 5,000 and the 2nd pick is worth like 4700....

and if you want to trade up or down, usually teams stay close to the points for the picks.

I've never heard of it in the NHL, only the NFL, so i dunno.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
No point system.

I personally think its a dumb idea.

From year to year the GM's have to make a judgement call. For example it seems this year after about 12-13 players the draft drop soff so to go from #20 to #10 this year will cost a lot. Where as in a deep draft like 2003 it probably wouldnt cost as much.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chrisd said:
Like in the NFL the #1 pick is worth like a certain amount of points like lets say 5,000 and the 2nd pick is worth like 4700....

and if you want to trade up or down, usually teams stay close to the points for the picks.

I've never heard of it in the NHL, only the NFL, so i dunno.
Are you talking about what Jimmy Johnson developed when he was with Dallas Cowboys?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I dunno who developed it, but the NFL has a point system for each pick in the 7rd draft, usually teams somewhat follow that system.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Their is no "official" NFL points system for draft picks. Some teams have and do use a point system to evaluate the relative worth of draft picks. Any smart team would have a different ranking every year (ie, this years draft NHL draft would probably need to have a SHARP dropoff after pick 10-12 or so), but the general idea is sound. It is way to pre-plan the worth of picks to help make the to trade or not to trade decision quickly when your team is on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->