Is there a chance this kid gets drafted?

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Scott Freeman: Led the OPJRA league in points this year with 97 as an 18 year old Sophmore.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=97542

CSS has him ranked 178th under NA Skaters. I have one pick left in my draft and am trying to decide between him and Andrew Conboy of the USHL. I was going to pick Conboy in the 8th until I happened to come across Freeman's numbers. I've never even heard of his league but to lead any league in points has to say something.

Any comments, suggestions, or info on this kid if you've heard of him?

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Damn, pick coming up soon. Nobody?

C'mon, flip a coin for me or something. ;)

Ok, maybe this would be easier. How often is someone from Freeman's league drafted? Is there any way to find that out? Or has anyone made the NHL from that league?

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Damn, pick coming up soon. Nobody?

C'mon, flip a coin for me or something. ;)

Ok, maybe this would be easier. How often is someone from Freeman's league drafted? Is there any way to find that out? Or has anyone made the NHL from that league?
Every year, it's Junior A, ontario's version of the BCHL, the second highest tier of junior hockey in Canada. Andrew Cogliano was a first rounder out of it two years ago, while Brendan Smith should be a second round pick this year. A couple were drafted last year.

I could go over more NHLers from this league, but, erm, it would be a very long post. off the top of my head, Cammalleri, Bieksa, Zubrus, Fisher, Joseph.

as for Freeman, I know nothing about him but that he's generally considered the fourth best prospect from the league this year behind Brendan Smith who goes from second-third round, Louie Caporusso fourth-seventh, and Alain Goulet, who I'm not sure will be drafted.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The OPJHL is not culled from very often. Andrew Cogliano is the only noteworthy alum of that league of late following his first round selection in 2005.

As for Freeman, yes, there's a good chance he's taken. A forward by the name of David Mcintyre was in the exact same situation last year- 92 points in 46 games- but he was only a fifth rounder. Two other OPJHL players were taken, one in each of the remaining rounds.

This year, the best 17 year-old forward isn't projected to go until the fifth round or later. Freeman will be chosen in that area if he goes at all.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Every year, it's Junior A, ontario's version of the BCHL, the second highest tier of junior hockey in Canada. Andrew Cogliano was a first rounder out of it two years ago, while Brendan Smith should be a second round pick this year. It's ontario's version of the BCHL. A couple were drafted last year.

I could go over more NHLers from this league, but, erm, it would be a very long post.

as for Freeman, I know nothing about him but that he's generally considered the fourth best prospect from the league this year behind Brendan Smith who goes from second-third round, Louie Caporusso fourth-seveth, and Alain Goulet, who I'm not sure will be drafted.

How could he be considered 4th best if he led the league in points? I mean I understand there are other intangibles but at 18 that's a nice accomplishment, no? You seem to know about this league well. Who would you take? Conboy or Freeman given the information I've got?

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
markzab said:
How could he be considered 4th best if he led the league in points? I mean I understand there are other intangibles but at 18 that's a nice accomplishment, no? You seem to know about this league well. Who would you take? Conboy or Freeman given the information I've got?
Smith and Caporusso have considerable nhl potential, which I'm guessing scouts do not think Freeman has, I dont really know i've never seen him play. they are also a year younger.

Caporusso for example missed quite a bit of the season, but still managed about 50 points in 30 games so he would be up there in league scoring if he was healthy

as for who I'd take, since I know nothing about either player I dont think I should choose one of them. :sarcasm:

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Well after hearing that a player like Calamari came out of this league I'm a bit more confident that this kid might have a shot. I was more worried about the league than the talent just because I had never heard of it. Thanks to all. ;)

The Joker*

Well after hearing that a player like Calamari came out of this league I'm a bit more confident that this kid might have a shot. I was more worried about the league than the talent just because I had never heard of it. Thanks to all. ;)
Cammalleri?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Wasn't Perron playing in the second tier in Quebec last year? Even though he's 18, if he does a T. J. Galiardi (Dartmouth) season or something at Clarkson next year, he would be a high draft pick then. Well worth an 8th-rounder.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Wasn't Perron playing in the second tier in Quebec last year? Even though he's 18, if he does a T. J. Galiardi (Dartmouth) season or something at Clarkson next year, he would be a high draft pick then. Well worth an 8th-rounder.

to bad there is only 7 rounds in the draft;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->