Is The SPHL At War With The Fed?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
To me, the Danville market does not seem sustainable within the SPHL business model. I read a theory that the SPHL does not care whether the Vermilion County Bobcats are successful as long as they took it from the Fed. This would be retaliation for the Fed's southward expansion, namely to the historic SPHL city of Columbus. So I figured I would bring this theory to the "experts". Is the SPHL at war with the Fed?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
To me, the Danville market does not seem sustainable within the SPHL business model. I read a theory that the SPHL does not care whether the Vermilion County Bobcats are successful as long as they took it from the Fed. This would be retaliation for the Fed's southward expansion, namely to the historic SPHL city of Columbus. So I figured I would bring this theory to the "experts". Is the SPHL at war with the Fed?

Historically, people who run hockey leagues are notorious region-invaders and either market-poachers or just plain silly about the subject.

My reply: when did peace exist?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The Fed stole Columbus and Winston-Salem from under the nose of the Sorta Professional Hockey League.

Now the $hitty Pond Hockey League has swiped Danville from the Federal No Prospects Hockey League.

They are definitely in conflict.

Barry Soskin's gun shop money keeps on rolling in. I'm not sure that any SPHL owners have the kind of money that he does, but he doesn't put a ton of it into the FPHL. Hockey is a tax play for Barry

Of course, the FPHL is otherwise run on the ultra-cheap by some real fly-by-night shysters. But then, so is the SPHL, though perhaps not quite as cheaply, given the sizes of the arenas involved.

In the end, there are only so many markets for the lowest of the low minors, and two leagues are competing for them.

Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If it's war, it's the FPHL at war with the SPHL and not the other way around....and going by the disparity of talent in the two leagues, the SPHL is winning without even trying.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They are battling for markets. Breaking even at 3,000 in the stands with a $1m-$1,5m budget is a tougher sell for owners, arenas, and markets than making money at 1,500 in the stands with a $500k budget.

However, they are not battling for quality.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad