Is the Patrice Cormier hit the most shocking thing in junior hockey ever?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Came to post this.

With Cormier I know it was still dirty and looked VERY deliberate with the elbow but he at least had the puck. Boulerice just was having a battle with Long and swung wildly at him with force.

It is a lot like in the AHL when Alex Perezhogin swung at Garrett Stafford in 2004. This is a rare time when I will say the victim might be to blame. Stafford took a wild two handed swing at Perezhogin that glanced off the top of his helmet which no doubt caused Perezhogin to snap and retaliate. Perezhogin was gone for the year, but if you remember, Stafford himself got a 6 game suspension. A year later Perezhogin ended Keith Primeau's career with a clean hit, but it gave him a concussion.

Reactions: El Cohiba

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I had forgotten, but Cormier played for Canada twice at the WJCs, winning gold once in 2009.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Did anyone ever hear why Cormier did that? Retaliation for something?

Cormier did also elbow Anton Rödin and Teemu Hartikainen in a similar fashion (elbow straight in face), although obviously not with the exact same outcomes as in the Tam case, when he represented Canada in the WJCs, so I think it’s a pretty obvious (and embarrassing) case of a player trying to play with some kind of "edge" to his game. Kinda like Brad Marchand but even dumber and more blatant.

Edit: Rödin and Hartikainen incidents were apparently in exhibition games leading up to the WJCs, and not in the actual tournament.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Pretty bad.

I always thought with that hit, had Fenelli not turned his back it would have never happened. It would have just been a hard hit behind the net. Somewhere along the way we've gotten this idea that the victim can never play a part in any blame.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I always thought with that hit, had Fenelli not turned his back it would have never happened. It would have just been a hard hit behind the net. Somewhere along the way we've gotten this idea that the victim can never play a part in any blame.

You're right in general regarding players needing to be aware, though it was clearly charging and quite reckless. I would say that Cormier's elbow was worse as his intention was crystal clear.

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
I agree with the post above about the Jesse Boulerice baseball swing slash to the face of Andrew Long in 1998. He had nearly catastrophic injuries, went into a seizure on the ice and nearly died. I think Boulerice was suspended for an entire season because of it. That's probably the most violent, horrific thing I've ever seen in hockey.

Last edited:

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
I have never seen the video but the documentary "Tough Guys" on YouTube features Marc LaForge and it mentions he was banned from the OHL for starting a brawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad