Is the NHL in Portland a real possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Let’s say the NHL and its players union finally settle their labor differences, paving the way for the league to resume play next fall. I don’t think it’s a long shot that Global Spectrum, which operates the arena formerly known as Paul Allen’s, would be looking for better ways to sell all those suites and preferred seats.

And with all the discontent about the Blazers right now, it might be the perfect time to bring big-league hockey to Portland. I also believe that some NHL franchises, near bankruptcy after a season of darkness, would be readily available for the taking.

Particularly for Global Spectrum, a division of Comcast-Spectacor, whose roots are in the NHL. The founder of the company, in fact, is Ed Snider, who is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. These people are NHL insiders

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=28994

Paul Allen gave up control of the Rose Garden in Portland to Global Spectrum.Allen did not want an NHL team in Portland but that is out of his hands now

Portland Penguins

Portland Predators

Portland Panthers

All three would work

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
RangerBoy said:
Let’s say the NHL and its players union finally settle their labor differences, paving the way for the league to resume play next fall. I don’t think it’s a long shot that Global Spectrum, which operates the arena formerly known as Paul Allen’s, would be looking for better ways to sell all those suites and preferred seats.

And with all the discontent about the Blazers right now, it might be the perfect time to bring big-league hockey to Portland. I also believe that some NHL franchises, near bankruptcy after a season of darkness, would be readily available for the taking.

Particularly for Global Spectrum, a division of Comcast-Spectacor, whose roots are in the NHL. The founder of the company, in fact, is Ed Snider, who is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. These people are NHL insiders

Paul Allen gave up control of the Rose Garden in Portland to Global Spectrum.Allen did not want an NHL team in Portland but that is out of his hands now

Portland Penguins

Portland Predators

Portland Panthers

All three would work

It doesn't matter which moniker you think would work, the NHL will never be in Portland. :lol

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
are you sure paul allen didn't want an NHL team in portland? i was almost certain he and mario lemieux had discussions a few years back about moving the team to portland after the lease expired if there was no new arena deal in place in pittsburgh

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Portland is one of the places i think could actually work for the league. IMO, The further north the game goes the better. In northwest america I like Seattle the best, but if the NHL thinks it's too close to Vancouver, I think Oregon could work also.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
bcrt2000 said:
are you sure paul allen didn't want an NHL team in portland? i was almost certain he and mario lemieux had discussions a few years back about moving the team to portland after the lease expired if there was no new arena deal in place in pittsburgh

How many times did the NHL expand since the 1991-92 season?Eight new teams.If Paul Allen wanted an expansion team in Portland,Gary Bettman would have walked from his New York office to Portland to bring Mr.Microsoft into the NHL.How many NHL teams were moved in the 1990's?If Allen wanted to put an established NHL team in his building,then he could have bought either Quebec or Winnipeg.Allen does not like hockey.In the Pittsburgh discussions,which side sought out the other side for the discussions?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Joe_Strummer said:
Hello Vancouver ... woo hoo ... hello ... Vancouver pretty much has an established foothold in that part of the US
That could be said about Seattle. Portland? No. Americans in the northwest would love to call a team their own.

Portland in the NHL? No. Why? Houston, Kansas City

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Is there even any interest in hockey in Portland? I really do not think it is a city that would support an NHL franchise. Don't get me wrong, Portland is one of the nicest US cities in my opinion, but I recall reading some article a while back where it was fairly well established that Seattle and Portland had been considered, but were pretty much just not hockey markets.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
westcoast said:
Is there even any interest in hockey in Portland? I really do not think it is a city that would support an NHL franchise. Don't get me wrong, Portland is one of the nicest US cities in my opinion, but I recall reading some article a while back where it was fairly well established that Seattle and Portland had been considered, but were pretty much just not hockey markets.
Considering the bizzaro world expansion selections made, I'd hate to see how bad a "non-hockey" market is

NYIsles1*

RangerBoy said:

Portland Penguins

Portland Predators

Portland Panthers

All three would work
Portland Rangers would also work.

If the tax exemptions which are the only thing that kept the Rangers from moving to New Jersey in the 80's are taken away from Dolan (which Bloomberg now wants) the Rangers can also be moved, especially if Charles Dolan decides to sell his sports teams to finance Vroom.

The team that reportedly claimed the most losses in the NHL can lose just as much somewhere else.

SedinFan*

futurcorerock said:
That could be said about Seattle. Portland? No. Americans in the northwest would love to call a team their own.

Portland in the NHL? No. Why? Houston, Kansas City

Portland would be a better choice that Houston and Kansas City in my mind. The NHL would only be competing against the NBA, whereas in KC and Houston you got Baseball along with basketball(Houston) and Football in both.

Portland would be a better choice. Fans in Houston don't support their teams anyways, they never have. Give a team to Portland who supports their hockey clubs and the Blazers (even though they stink). Solid fan base in Portland. Much better choice in my mind.

SedinFan*

dolfanar said:
yeah seriously. Portland is LESS of ahockey market than Atlanta and Nashville? Lordy!

Please...elaborate. This should be good.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
dolfanar said:
yeah seriously. Portland is LESS of ahockey market than Atlanta and Nashville? Lordy!

The WHL'S Winterhawks have been in Portland for nearly 30 years, and consistently are among the league's top teams in terms of attendance. I know this doesn't guarantee NHL success, but Portland citizens have shown they WILL support minor league hockey, and do have a knowledge of the game.
I personally feel that the city would do great with a team (relocated, not expansion mind you :D ).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Zack Attack said:
Portland would be a better choice that Houston and Kansas City in my mind. The NHL would only be competing against the NBA, whereas in KC and Houston you got Baseball along with basketball(Houston) and Football in both.

Portland would be a better choice. Fans in Houston don't support their teams anyways, they never have. Give a team to Portland who supports their hockey clubs and the Blazers (even though they stink). Solid fan base in Portland. Much better choice in my mind.
Should be noted Blazer fans were ammoung the most passionate in the game until the team turned into a work release program. And refusing to support a team of thugs is laudable on some level.

mooseOAK*

The market in Portland just isn't big enough to support an NBA and NHL franchise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
The market in Portland just isn't big enough to support an NBA and NHL franchise.
Neither are Nashville, Florida, Columbus, Atlanta, Ahaheim, Phoenix, Carolina markets to sustain the NHL, but that has not stopped Bettman yet. So I see no need for him to start using Common Sense now when it comes to expansion and relocation ..

Would surprise me if he relocated two teams to Portland and Seattle eventually to create a rivalry, you think he is going to run out of Hockey markets soon or later.

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Neither are Nashville, Florida, Columbus, Atlanta, Ahaheim, Phoenix, Carolina markets to sustain the NHL, but that has not stopped Bettman yet. So I see no need for him to start using Common Sense now when it comes to expansion and relocation ..

Would surprise me if he relocated two teams to Portland and Seattle eventually to create a rivalry, you think he is going to run out of Hockey markets soon or later.
Cripes, you have cities that have been supporting NHL franchises for 10 years plus Columbus who averaged over 17,000 fans per game.

Seattle doesn't have an arena.

Don't bother wasting my time responding with that crap.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
The Messenger said:

The NHL is the only professional sport in Columbus.

X0ssbar

The Messenger said:

Columbus can't sustain an NHL market? I think you need to revisit your common sense statement.

I would also suggest taking some time to do a little research before making such statements.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top Shelf said:
Columbus can't sustain an NHL market? I think you need to revisit your common sense statement.

I would also suggest taking some time to do a little research before making such statements.
Its still early ... Columbus has not been around very long, lots of time to fail yet.

Sure they draw some fans at home .. but are in bottom percentage when it comes to Road games and drawing interest for fans in other cities .. So other then the good people of Columbus itself no one gives a Damn about them ... IMO.

If Columbus had a AHL team that would probably also be good enough for most hockey Fans in Columbus ..

X0ssbar

The Messenger said:
Its still early ... Columbus has not been around very long, lots of time to fail yet.

Your right, Columbus hasn't been around very long but yet apparently they have been around long enough for you to draw conclusions.

The Messenger said:
Sure they draw some fans at home .. but are in bottom percentage when it comes to Road games and drawing interest for fans in other cities .. So other then the good people of Columbus itself no one gives a Damn about them ... IMO.

Quite frankly, why would the Columbus franchise or their fans care about what they draw on the road? Selling tickets to road games is not the Blue Jacket's responsibility.

Bottom line is that the CBJ were one of only 10 teams to actually make money last year and you want to yank them. Because why? - oh, b/c they don't draw well on the road and haven't had enough time to fail yet.....:shakehead

SedinFan*

mooseOAK said:

530,000 peope in Portland. Another 150,000 in Vancouver, Washington which is located about 10 mins north of Portland.

So in that greater area you have about 700,000 people.

More than enough to support 2 major league teams. Especially if they're both NHL and NBA, meaning that there's no NFL team there where the capacity's are 50,000+, or baseball where 40,000+ is usually the capacity. The NHL and NBA can work in 'small' markets quite easily in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad