Is Setogouchi a Dark Horse to win Calder?

snaggle toof

Aug 29, 2006
1. Patrick Kane (Chi) 21
2. Jonathan Toews (Chi) 14
3. Andrew Cogliano (Edm) 11
4. Sam Gagner (Edm) 8
Daniel Carcillo (Phx) 8
Tobias Enstrom (Atl) 8
Steven Wagner (StL) 8
Martin Hanzal (Phx) 8
Peter Mueller (Phx) 8
Nicklas Backstrom (Wsh) 8
11. Devin Setoguchi (SJ) 7
Bryan Little (Atl) 7
David Perron (StL) 7
14. Torrey Mitchell (SJ) 6
15. Tom Gilbert (Edm) 5
Nigel Dawes (NYR) 5
David Clarkson (NJ) 5
18. Drew Miller (Ana) 4
Mike Lundin (TB) 4
Matt Niskanen (Dal) 4
James Sheppard (Min) 4
Jiri Tlusty (Tor) 4
Erik Johnson (StL) 4
etcetcetc

Just a note but every player ahead of Setogoochi (and perron) on this list has played a minimum of six more games, some up to ten more games.

I think Setogoochi will score plenty of goals this season, but I don't think he can keep up the kind of pace he's on right now. The Calder will probably go to one of Chicagos youngsters, but Sharks fans should look forward to Seto putting the puck in the back of the net for years to come. Lots of great young talent in the NHL, exciting times.

Brokencow

Nov 11, 2003
Oakland
Visit site
Look, I'm a Shark's fan, and this is fun, but let's keep this realistic. Setoguchi is good. He looks like a Cheechoo who can skate. Sounds good to me. He won't win Calder, though. Kane + Towes both have huge ice time and talent. Chicago has a different game style than the Sharks, and I'll leave it at that.

As someone else said:

I never denied his talent but I wonder will you guys still be jocking him as hard when his streak stops and his drought begins.

Seto will hit a drought. Sometime soon, probably. I won't be happy about it but he is not scoring in 7/8ths his games. Calder? Probably not. Good pick? Yes. Is he Kopitar? No. Completely different Players. Is he a bad pick at #8? No. He is what he is. A pure goal scorer with speed and grit. I like him. Do not retrospect the draft to try and re-evaluate him vs others. Be happy with what the Shark’s have. I am.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
a couple off weeks ago i couldnt get rid of him for a decent roster player in my keeper league, now. i have gotten some good offers, but i want to hang on to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad