Is Pat Kane going to make team USA?

Randall Graves*

With Kessel signing with the Bruins it seems to me there is a great chance he will make the squad if Phil is not released for the WJC's. There's also a chance Bobby Ryan may not be there either, so it seems to me team USA will need an offenisve player like Kane on the team.

Thoughts?

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
It will probably depend on where he chooses to play hockey.
If he decides to go to London, I wouldn't wager any money he'll make the US team.

I would agree with this statement 95% of the time but Kane is a "golden boy" of USA Hockey. I think he would get the job considering all of the success he has had with the NTDP.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
He should anyway, he should have been there last year as well considering the US's shoddy offensive output against teams not named Norway.

Randall Graves*

It will probably depend on where he chooses to play hockey.
If he decides to go to London, I wouldn't wager any money he'll make the US team.
I am sure Kane will ask USA officials if playing in London will hurt his chances..I think he should play in the OHL but maybe he wants to play against the obstruction laden NCAA.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
go ahead and explain that to us

He is implying that there is a lot of interference in the NCAA where the old clutch and grab game still rules the roost.

Three years ago I would have agreed as obstruction in the college ranks was worse than any other league but they have really cleaned it up since then. The game is much cleaner and has good flow to it.

In fact, I would argue that the officials have gone over board and now call everything, and I do mean every thing!

STS44

Apr 13, 2006
I am sure Kane will ask USA officials if playing in London will hurt his chances..I think he should play in the OHL but maybe he wants to play against the obstruction laden NCAA.

The OHL with the new rules put into place last season make the OHL a perfect fit for Pat Kane. He will get plenty of ice time especially on the PP and that will aid his development tremendously.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
..I think he should play in the OHL but maybe he wants to play against the obstruction laden NCAA.

Don't know why threads like these are typically used to take shots at the NCAAs...when for a guy like Kane, the NCAAs is a great option.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He is implying that there is a lot of interference in the NCAA where the old clutch and grab game still rules the roost.

Three years ago I would have agreed as obstruction in the college ranks was worse than any other league but they have really cleaned it up since then. The game is much cleaner and has good flow to it.

In fact, I would argue that the officials have gone over board and now call everything, and I do mean every thing!

Agreed 100%. It's gotten to the point where a good, hard, clean check warrents a roughing call nearly every time and a stick to the waist is called even if it hasn't hit yet.

But the flow is a million times improved.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Agreed 100%. It's gotten to the point where a good, hard, clean check warrents a roughing call nearly every time and a stick to the waist is called even if it hasn't hit yet.

But the flow is a million times improved.

Its pretty much the way it is today....a good up and down game but lot of people I know refer to college hockey as the "no hit league". They do have to ease up a bit...make that a lot!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Its pretty much the way it is today....a good up and down game but lot of people I know refer to college hockey as the "no hit league". They do have to ease up a bit...make that a lot!

It definately is a good up and down game. I love watching college hockey. With a bit less penalties called for "hitting too hard" it'd be even better.

Transported Upstater

With Kessel signing with the Bruins it seems to me there is a great chance he will make the squad if Phil is not released for the WJC's. There's also a chance Bobby Ryan may not be there either, so it seems to me team USA will need an offenisve player like Kane on the team.

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't know the Ducks well, but here's my opinion on the Ryan situation:

Despite the loss of Lupul in the Pronger trade, I only see Ryan getting a 10-game tryout with the team, and then being sent back down to Owen Sound. Ryan is the type of guy who dramatically loses effectiveness if he isn't playing on one of the top two lines, and I'm not sure he can win that position for the Ducks this year.

If Ryan returns and Trevor Lewis ends up in Owen Sound, they are the team to beat in the OHL IMO.

Of course, it will depend on Ryan's camp, but I really don't think the Ducks are in any hurry with him, and I agree with that assessment. IMO, young players make the most improvement simply by getting the most minutes and opportunities they possibly can, and unless Ryan makes one of Anaheim's top two lines, I don't see that happening in 2006-2007 in Anaheim. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->