Is Ovechkin delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
bigjags said:
How many times have we seen guys tear up the Q or the OHL only to be reduced to nothing in the NHL. There are simply to many to name.

Crosby, however, isn't like that. He's better.

:biglaugh:

Prove it!

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
bigjags said:
By guys like Jagr or Forise..not by mice like Crosby.

Mouse, eh?

In the championship game, Ovechkin was knocked out of action with a shoulder injury because of an open-ice hit from the smaller Crosby in the first period.

Crosby's currently around Mark Recchi's size and weight.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
tom_servo said:
Mouse, eh?

In the championship game, Ovechkin was knocked out of action with a shoulder injury because of an open-ice hit from the smaller Crosby in the first period.

He's faster too and doesn't do that standard head bob move that Recchi does.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Examples of the complete conversations to demonstrate context...

Reporter: "So how do you think we will fare in comparison to Crosby in Pittsburgh this season"

Overchkin: "I'm looking forward to a good season and helping the team. I'm sure Crosby is doing the same, but I'm focused on my game."

Reporter: "Do you feel you can make an impact with the team and help the team the same way Crosby can help Pittsburgh".

Overchkin: "Well, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to go out and try to help the team win this year. I'm confident I will make an impact."

Reporter: "But no one is paying any attention to your potential impact in Washington and you seem to be pretty much forgotten when compared to Crosby..."

Overchkin, fed up with the reporter: "Let's wait and see who will
receive more attention at the end of the season."

Factor in the potential context of the quote with the fact English isn't his first language, and you've basically got a confident player looking forward to showing his stuff. If I were a Caps fan, I would love it.
I can see why he got fed up with the reporter. He wouldn't shut up about Crosby.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Leachmeister2000 said:
He's faster too and doesn't do that standard head bob move that Recchi does.

Gretsky was about Recchi's size too and he did alright despite that disadvantage. Then again, who would compare Crosby to Gretsky? Oh yeah . . . .

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
tom_servo said:
Mouse, eh?

You sure it was mainly from Crosby's hit. Ovechkin was getting hit by everyone that game.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
pei fan said:
Quoted in the Globe and Mail referring to Crosby:"Let's wait and see who will

Does this guy really think he's that good or is he just crazed with jealousy?
I've always said he's a great hockey player but could someone help this guy
to deal with his oversize ego?

Hypothetical 1992 interview:

[Teemu Selanne] quoted in the Globe and Mail referring to Lindros:"Let's wait and see who will

Pei Fan's response:

Does this guy really think he's that good or is he just crazed with jealousy?
I've always said he's a great hockey player but could someone help this guy
to deal with his oversize ego?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Le Golie said:
I think this issue is very different on opposite sides of the border. In the US, the TO/AI/Moss characters sell themselves, they sell the game and they appeal to way more people than they would in Canada. On the whole, Canadians appreciate the humble and classy types to those guys any day.

I agree with what you're saying...but the last I checked, the NHL wasn't struggling to sell itself in Canada. AO could be just the kind of mouthpiece the league needs to push itself in the States.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
big_steve said:
You sure it was mainly from Crosby's hit. Ovechkin was getting hit by everyone that game.

Regardless of what caused the injury, I was just making the point that Crosby can embrace physical play.

SubNova

All you Crosby fan boys need to go in to your room and stair into your Crosby poster until you clam down. You’re not supposed to praise the people you play against you’re supposed to compete against them and give respect. Plus believing that your better then Crosby is nothing like believing that your better then Hall of Fame player.

Actually Crosby fan boys don’t come out of your room.

SubNova

Crosby's currently around Mark Recchi's size and weight. Mouse, eh?

Good old Canadian hockey: get goons + take runs at best player = gold. We love you CANADA. :shakehead

SubNova

Hitting doesn't necessarily equate to goonery.

Well if your game plan is to take out a best player then *** !??! How about we don’t play and just fight. :shakehead

ClosetOilersFan

Aug 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
Ovechkin is simply confident, he was highly rated, and a run-away first round pick in the last draft. Really, I think people may be surprised at how close these two guys are .. and how it really is a toss-up who'll be better.

In the mean time, stop bashing Ovechkin. If he was as friendly with the media, he'd still be talked about.

However.. Crosby does have advatnage going by his team.

SubNova

I think this issue is very different on opposite sides of the border. In the US, the TO/AI/Moss characters sell themselves, they sell the game and they appeal to way more people than they would in Canada. On the whole, Canadians appreciate the humble and classy types to those guys any day.

Classy, how like Bertuzzi or Domi. :shakehead

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
oilers99fan said:
Ovechkin is simply confident, he was highly rated, and a run-away first round pick in the last draft. Really, I think people may be surprised at how close these two guys are .. and how it really is a toss-up who'll be better.

I agree, but if anyone has been paying attention, they shouldn't be surprised if Ovechkin ends up the better player. He's got exotic skills, an ideal frame, and a lion's heart to match.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Hecht_Is_God said:
I like it, it gives flare to the season. A lot of you guys are taking what he siad wrong, he is just saying that it isn't a sure bet that Crosby will win the Calder...
Well that is one way to look at it,but most guys are
not going to answer the question that way.It could also be interpreteted as
"I'm so good that by the end of the season I'll make everyone forget about
Crosby." By saying ;"well lets see....." he's at least saying "the attention matters",
so that's my reason for the jealousy remark.

I might tend to think that he should get the benefit of the doubt because of
the language barrier but it seems like most of what I've heard from him is
pretty arrogant.Also others times he has been asked about Crosby(wjc for
example)he had a much different response than Crosby had when asked about
him.Crosby was all class,but not AO, he acted like he was bothered by the
question and didn't have enough respect for Crosby.

For the record I have only praised Ovechkin as a player.There are many threads
even the Ovechkin vs. Crosby type threads that will attest to that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
oilers99fan said:

In the mean time, stop bashing Ovechkin. If he was as friendly with the media, he'd still be talked about.

However.. Crosby does have advatnage going by his team.

Not that it changes your point in this thread any, but AO was not really entirely in a class by himself. Malkin was at least in the same stratosphere toward draft time in most commentaries at the time (though AO was always the consensus number one with almost everyone). That was never a knock on AO btw, he always was considered something special. Just that Malkin moved it up a notch to be in that something special territory too.

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
ryz said:
That's just how hockey is in NA. Showboating is more accepted in the Euro leagues than it is in the NHL. That's why you don't see a lot of it here.

Anyone remember Korolyuk showboating during an empty net goal against Calgary in the playoffs last year? He was about to be attacked and hid behing Rathje and he ended up taking a pounding from Simon. It all depends on the coach. As a hometown example, Sutter would send the Flames to hunt down Ovechkin if he did anything over the line in the Saddledome. I'm not sure how other coaches and teams would treat it. I just know the team I watch.

I hope he does tone it down though because he has ALOT of potential to be a superstar for a long time if he can.

Korolyuk was skating with the puck, stopped, and shot it in. How is that hot dogging? I dont think you remember it correctly. Korolyuk said post game that he was looking to see if Marleau was close to him so he could score the hat trick. He didnt pump his fist or anything after the goal.

So you are not allowed to stop in front of an empty net, and shoot it in. No wonder we can't draw any new fans. Uptight coaches and uptight players.

That idiot Sutter was just itching for something anything to happen so he could sick his goon on someone. That was totally classless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->