Is Ovechkin delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjags*

Ovy is a stud plain and simple. For those who think he's got an attitude problem cleary don't have a clue. He's one of the nicest guys I've read and he's so excited to come over and play in the NHL.

And BtW, Crosby tore it up in the Q. But now he's playing with men and he's about to get a rude awakening. Do you think those cheeky dekes he pulled off against tools in the Q will happen against guys like Pronger or a Chara? Ovy is bigger, stronger and has already played with men. I have no doubt, for this season anyway, he'll be better. Longer term, prolly Crosby tho.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
No...God forbid we have rivalries....

God forbid that someone in the NHL other than Roenick and Hull might actually have a personality.

God forbid someone would say something that could grab attention.

(Even if the comment is something to the effect of "I can't really compare my impact to Crosby's....I will let you decide who has made the impact after the season is done.)

Sometimes the world of the Politically Correct goes overboard.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Examples of the complete conversations to demonstrate context...

Reporter: "So how do you think we will fare in comparison to Crosby in Pittsburgh this season"

Overchkin: "I'm looking forward to a good season and helping the team. I'm sure Crosby is doing the same, but I'm focused on my game."

Reporter: "Do you feel you can make an impact with the team and help the team the same way Crosby can help Pittsburgh".

Overchkin: "Well, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to go out and try to help the team win this year. I'm confident I will make an impact."

Reporter: "But no one is paying any attention to your potential impact in Washington and you seem to be pretty much forgotten when compared to Crosby..."

Overchkin, fed up with the reporter: "Let's wait and see who will
receive more attention at the end of the season."

Factor in the potential context of the quote with the fact English isn't his first language, and you've basically got a confident player looking forward to showing his stuff. If I were a Caps fan, I would love it.

Excellent point. I think the two will have very similar statistics, giving Crosby the edge for linemates. Unfortunatly for Ovechkin, he'll have to beat Crosby by at least 20 points to get more attention. Even then.....Crosby's probably still going to get more attention. The best case scenario for Ovechkin is that Crosby starts off like Joe Thorton...just can't adjust so early. I think Ovechkin is somewhat blunt, remember how Mogilny was before he learned to handle the media and not take thing so seriously? Kinda like that...
Although, due to the fact I'm at least 5 years younger than Mogilny, I had to look at that(Mogilny's percieved 'attitude' problems) retrospectivly.

In other news, why don't we carefully listen to anything Crosby has to say....so we can dissect him personally if he says something that sounds overconfident. Fair is fair.

In that spirit...

"I am really excited to join Reebok's impressive roster of great athletes," Crosby said in a statement.

What? He already thinks he's a great athlete? He hasn't played one
game in the NHL. Must be because he has a huge ego. heck, he might even be delusional. :dunno:

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Other quotes in the same Globe and Mail article - context is everything :)

"This is the first season after the lockout and it is different for every team," Ovechkin said. "Of course, the lockout has been a factor [for the Capitals]. But anything is possible if a team can play better than expected with heart and passion and a lot of hard work."

[about Crosby] "He's a Canadian, he should get more attention"... "If the National Hockey League was in Russia, I would be getting the attention," Ovechkin added. "I don't mind. It takes the spotlight away from me and maybe I will have less pressure to produce."

From what I have seen, read and heard to date, I think both Crosby and Ovechkin are good ambassadors for the game of hockey, but there is also an amazing amount of pressure on both of these guys at very young ages. As of now, I think they both handle the public expectations (as well as how they express their own) and communications pretty well given their ages. I for one am excited about this NHL season and the opportunity to watch a number of young players that will get significant playing time. And I think these are not the only two guys in the race for the Calder Cup, either.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
bigjags said:
Ovy is a stud plain and simple. For those who think he's got an attitude problem cleary don't have a clue. He's one of the nicest guys I've read and he's so excited to come over and play in the NHL.

And BtW, Crosby tore it up in the Q. But now he's playing with men and he's about to get a rude awakening. Do you think those cheeky dekes he pulled off against tools in the Q will happen against guys like Pronger or a Chara? Ovy is bigger, stronger and has already played with men. I have no doubt, for this season anyway, he'll be better. Longer term, prolly Crosby tho.

Those same tools that Sid tore up in the Q were also some of the same ones who manhandled AO in the WJC. AO maybe bigger, but Sid is harder to move off the puck. Also, guys like pronger and chara will have to keep their eyes on some other pens too. You might have heard of them, someone name lemieux, palffy, recchi, leclair, gonchar. Sid will be just fine.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
slats432 said:

God forbid that someone in the NHL other than Roenick and Hull might actually have a personality.

(Even if the comment is something to the effect of "I can't really compare my impact to Crosby's....I will let you decide who has made the impact after the season is done.)

:clap:

bigjags*

slats432 said:

:clap:
Brilliant.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Examples of the complete conversations to demonstrate context...

Reporter: "So how do you think we will fare in comparison to Crosby in Pittsburgh this season"

Overchkin: "I'm looking forward to a good season and helping the team. I'm sure Crosby is doing the same, but I'm focused on my game."

Reporter: "Do you feel you can make an impact with the team and help the team the same way Crosby can help Pittsburgh".

Overchkin: "Well, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to go out and try to help the team win this year. I'm confident I will make an impact."

Reporter: "But no one is paying any attention to your potential impact in Washington and you seem to be pretty much forgotten when compared to Crosby..."

Overchkin, fed up with the reporter: "Let's wait and see who will
receive more attention at the end of the season."

Factor in the potential context of the quote with the fact English isn't his first language, and you've basically got a confident player looking forward to showing his stuff. If I were a Caps fan, I would love it.
I am and I do ------ :D

I don't get what the big deal is ----- he simply said "WAIT AND SEE" ----- he didn't insult Crosby, didn't say he was a bad player, didn't say anything at all about him other then to say "WAIT AND SEE" ---- which is something all of us should do --- let's wait and see how these two tremendously talented kids will fare in their first NHL season.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
I am and I do ------ :D

I don't get what the big deal is ----- he simply said "WAIT AND SEE" ----- he didn't insult Crosby, didn't say he was a bad player, didn't say anything at all about him other then to say "WAIT AND SEE" ---- which is something all of us should do --- let's wait and see how these two tremendously talented kids will fare in their first NHL season.

Yeah, notice he said "Lets see who gets more attention at the end of the season"

The origional poster inferred that Ovechkin meant to say,
"Dude, I'm going to totally beat Crosby down"

Whereas I think its more like

"Hey, its not like I don't have a prayer of winning the Calder"

bigjags*

Pens1566 said:
Those same tools that Sid tore up in the Q were also some of the same ones who manhandled AO in the WJC. AO maybe bigger, but Sid is harder to move off the puck. Also, guys like pronger and chara will have to keep their eyes on some other pens too. You might have heard of them, someone name lemieux, palffy, recchi, leclair, gonchar. Sid will be just fine.

Great points....But I disagree with the overall pens comments. People are fooling them selves if they think they'rea cup contender.

Palffy? He'll be injured by December.
Gonchar couldn't play D if his life depended on it
LeClair? Is that a joke? I feel bad for Ryan Malone,he's twice the player LeClair, and I hope he's see the PP time people think LeClair will be getting.

Recchi stud.

My point is, I can't wait to get this season rolling!!!!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pens1566 said:

looks good on paper but get ready for some injuries especially recchi/leclair/lemieux.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
AO's ego is too big for his own good and he's going to be knocked down a few pegs pretty quickly in the NHL. You'd think that after he got pimp-slapped by Canada at the WJC he would calm it down a little. I'd love to see him shoot a puck into the oppositions net during warm-up in the NHL and see if he lasts the rest of the game. He's certainly a talent and all told might beat Crosby for the Calder, but I could also see someone taking his head off halfway through the season....... and you won't win the Clader playing 40 games.

Confidance is good, but entering a new country, culture, lifestyle and league as a cocky *** (not confidant) is probably not the best approach.

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
If anyone has shown fire and the unextinguishable desire to win it's Ovechkin, not Crosby. Granted, more pressure is on Crosby, so I sympathize with him, but AO has shown the mental capacity and drive to succeed, and in the NHL, that's a HUGE part of your impact as a player, regardless of skill.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why are people so shocked at seeing that an established world player is saying that he might be better than a guy who hasn't even played against men?

I find this almost as hilarious as when people were suggesting Crosby would be on the canadian world champs team :)

Crosby could be the best thing ever happened to hockey.... Or he could be strangled by the fact that he's playing in not only a men's league, but also the league which has the most pressure on every player in the world.

KariyaIsGod*

Dr Love said:
God forbid a hockey player show some attitude.

I don't see the problem here. AO is an extremely talented rookie, a #1 overall pick, who has been an afterthought in the inane Crosby hype. Can't blame him for saying something about it. And what if, at the end of the season, AO is far and away the better player? What will you say then?

Crosby is an 18 year old kid. Give him a chance..?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He got a thread started here and people talking about him in the media with that comment. Pretty smart if you ask me. Much better, if you are a potential celebrity who wants people to know who you are to have them talking about you than not. The caveat is that you have to back it up to keep the talk going. I think that AO welcomes the challenge, as he should, but we will see what happens.

KariyaIsGod*

bigjags said:

You're right. dekes don't ever work in the NHL because everytime they'r epulled the guy gets flattened...
:confused: :confused:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
personally, i think hockey could use a few more firebrand bigshots. we all love the ryan smyths of the league...the classy, humble good ol' boys from the western canadian prairies...but people on the whole want T.O., Allen Iverson and Randy Moss. Cocky hotheads bring attention to the game....and while it seems like it's negative attention....at this point, hockey needs anything it can get. I hope AO keeps it up.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
nomorekids said:
personally, i think hockey could use a few more firebrand bigshots. we all love the ryan smyths of the league...the classy, humble good ol' boys from the western canadian prairies...but people on the whole want T.O., Allen Iverson and Randy Moss. Cocky hotheads bring attention to the game....and while it seems like it's negative attention....at this point, hockey needs anything it can get. I hope AO keeps it up.
One cocky basketball player very much past his prime will play in the finnish basketball league btw ;)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
"Oh yeah, try pulling that **** in the NHL and you'll get beaten because were tough and american and that's the way we handle everything."

Oh why did I come back to this thread...

Roger's Pancreas*

DrMoses said:
You're right. dekes don't ever work in the NHL because everytime they'r epulled the guy gets flattened...

The chances that Ovechkin gets flattened on a regular basis are slim to none, he's a skilled power forward with a strong set of wheels. That's pretty scary if you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->