Is OLN going to carry the June 22nd NHL awards show in the States?

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Or will we get to see it at all- anyone know yet- have you seen or heard anything if it is going to be shown in the US? I just looked on the NHL website and it only lists the CBC as airing it- so I guess if you're like me in the states you'll just have to read the highlights on who won- what a crop- ESPN use to carry it. You would think with all the hype with OLN they could find someway to have it aired. :shakehead

Last edited:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Stevedude530 said:
They have no contractual obligation to do so.

I doubt it.

I don't get it- OLN is suppose to be the big promoter for hockey in the states and they don't feel obligated to carry the awards show capping the season- what's wrong with this picture? Wouldn't you think if you were the NHL's publicity dept. that you might put just a little pressure on OLN to try to make room to air the awards show to maybe get a little more viewership and interest- makes absolutely no sense. I wonder if the draft will be aired in the states or if OLN will not feel contractually obligated to carry that as well.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They probably will show it, the thing is almost 2 months away. Just because they have not announced it, doesn't mean they may not later on.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
PortlandRanger said:
They probably will show it, the thing is almost 2 months away. Just because they have not announced it, doesn't mean they may not later on.

I hope- but I won't be surprised if it turns out they don't carry it. Oh and by the way about that photo of Barry- he is NOT an idiot- he's THE MAN in my book. I REALLY miss him during the playoffs- I know he is still on ESPN Sportscenter when they manage to squeeze him in for his 5 seconds of analysis but I miss him and Bucci during the intermissions in the games. :(

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm really hoping for the awards and draft. IMO OLN has been great. Lots of hockey related shows before and after the games. Plus a post game show that runs down the league. I really hope that the NHL does not get an exclusive contract next year and can put games on OLN, ESPN and NBC. Just flood the market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderbird107 said:
Funny how with no games on tonight, I knew someone would find someway to ***** about something OLN related.

the day wouldn't be complete

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
#66 said:
I'm really hoping for the awards and draft. IMO OLN has been great. Lots of hockey related shows before and after the games. Plus a post game show that runs down the league. I really hope that the NHL does not get an exclusive contract next year and can put games on OLN, ESPN and NBC. Just flood the market.

The contract ths year is the same as next year. They signed a 2 year deal wilth options to renew it every year for like 6 years.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Thunderbird107 said:
Funny how with no games on tonight, I knew someone would find someway to ***** about something OLN related.

Maybe it just happens to be the day that the award finalists were announced and when you check you see only the CBC is listed as carrying the awards show. It has NOTHING to do with no games on Thursday. I don't care if there would have been 4 games yesterday- I for one would like to see the awards show and hope some way somebody bothers to carry it south of Canada- as well as the draft.

I am Jack's Fish

Thunderbird107 said:

From the lowest expectations to the highest in just a few months, I suppose..

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I'm thinking they might show it. Although, after the playoffs are complete hockey will problably be off of most peope's mind (in the States). As we've seen this season, the OLN has played much of their schedule during the second half by ear, however, I have been pretty happy with the amount of hockey coverage they've delivered - especially during the playoffs. I can come home from work each night and boom, the eastern game has just begun and another game will follow

I am Jack's Fish

Terrier said:
Considering OLN has carried the CBC feed several times during the playoffs, I don't see why they couldn't air the awards show.
Depends on how much the Canadian network charges them...

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
I am Jack's Fish said:
Depends on how much the Canadian network charges them...
CBC is bush league with the Award Show.
They don't even carry it live across the board. :shakehead

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
As noted, OLN is televising the draft; I am hoping/expecting that they will add the awards show. As noted, the announcements to date have not included any US broadcast, but that could change. I tried to check OLN"s programming for June 22, but the June tv listings for OLN are not listed yet. IIRC, ESPN's coverage of the awards show was often shown tape delayed Canadian broadcast feed later the same night on ESPN2 or another channel.

http://ww2.olntv.com/tvlistings/?nm=2

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Their schedule is up now.

June 22nd
7:00 Lord Stanley's Cup
8:00 NHL Awards Show
10:00 Fearless: Mario Lemieux

June 24th
6:00 NHL Draft

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Stevedude530 said:
Their schedule is up now.

June 22nd
7:00 Lord Stanley's Cup
8:00 NHL Awards Show
10:00 Fearless: Mario Lemieux

June 24th
6:00 NHL Draft

Thanks for the update that they will indeed carry the award show. (As a sidenote, how many times are they going to show that Lemieux show- it has been rebroadcast how many times now? No disrespect to what the guy has done or gone through, but how about some other bio stories as well.)

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
Anybody know if the NHL Awards will be aired anywhere else in the States other than OLN?

I'm in a bad situation for watching the awards. I don't get OLN and won't be able to get it for a while, and no one I know has it. So I was wondering, is it going to be aired anywhere online or anywhere else on TV?

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Flicktron said:
Anybody know if the NHL Awards will be aired anywhere else in the States other than OLN?

I'm in a bad situation for watching the awards. I don't get OLN and won't be able to get it for a while, and no one I know has it. So I was wondering, is it going to be aired anywhere online or anywhere else on TV?

Doubt it. Like you, I don't have OLN.

What I'm really worried about is the draft. Last summer, nhl.com did a webstream, but I'm unsure as to whether they would do one this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad