Is Nintendo killing off the 3DS?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Looking at games coming soon for it and there are only a few.

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon (11/17/17)
Kirby: Battle Royal (1/19/2018)
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (1/30/2018)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (1/30/2018)
The Alliance Alive (2/27/2018)

...That's it. So are we going to see the end of the 3DS / 2DS soon? I mean they have HUGE libraries and tons of great games so they will be relevant for a very long time but am I missing something?

Would make sense that Nintendo just starts doing everything on the Switch now. Would be wonderful if somehow the Switch could play 3DS games.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
When the Switch was announced I think people's first reaction was that the DS line was dead man walking.

Hard to say for certain if they want to support two mobile platforms long term. Personally, I'd say it's logical to assume they won't....but I've learned never to try to predict what Nintendo will do.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Ha! Yeah nobody can predict Nintendo's moves. Heck tomorrow they might announce 10 new games for the 3DS who knows.

Just sure seems like a good time for them to phase it out to get people on Swtich.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
True, although it may also cause a backlash.

I understand the 3DS is still very popular. Nice little machine.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
They seem to still have decent support for the 3ds and the games are still selling, so I'm not sure why they would. I wouldn't be against it to be honest but it wouldnt really make sense

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Lets hope so.

I woulda loved to play Samus Returns on my Switch. It being on 3DS means I am simply not gonna play it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Lets hope so.

I woulda loved to play Samus Returns on my Switch. It being on 3DS means I am simply not gonna play it.
Its a fantastic game and I agree. It should be on another platform. Switch just makes sense.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The 3DS is still crazy popular in Japan so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept releasing more niche games for it beyond that timeline.

But I do think with the somewhat unexpected success of the Switch, it makes sense for them to put the vast majority of their resources towards it. They have to capitalize on this momentum right now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lets hope so.

Perfect game for the 3DS. It would have had to be pretty different on the Switch. You should get a new 2DS and discover some amazing games.

I think the 2/3DS line is too lucrative to drop. Those things sell very well and the library is super strong.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I own a New 3DSXL (the Majora's Mask one)...I just have no interest in breaking it out or spending $50 on a new game for it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Perfect game for the 3DS. It would have had to be pretty different on the Switch. You should get a new 2DS and discover some amazing games.

I think the 2/3DS line is too lucrative to drop. Those things sell very well and the library is super strong.
I think it would be fine on the switch. You don't have to use the touch screen to select weapons, you could just have that be a button instead. I hated the forced use of the touch screen anyways. And the map could be on the "select button" screen like every other game that has a huge map. Status page on the start screen. Really would be a bit more immersive I think instead of constantly looking at a map.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Love my 3ds, will be pretty sad if they stop making games for it in favour of the switch. I have a switch but don't really want to share playtime with my brother to use it, especially if a main series pokemon game drops for it

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
3DS is an excellent machine with an excellent library. All systems eventually come to an end of their run though.

The question is more whether there will be a new system on the DS line, or is Nintendo switching to a one system line with the Switch.

Honestly with no real mobile competition outside of cellphones, Nintendo is really in no rush to do anything on this front.

This is a company that successfully supported an out of date Gameboy for years due to owning the market.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I was hoping that this wouldn’t happen soon, but this was inevitable. I know nothing about the Switch, but I bet Nintendo will transition to that... although I didn’t think it would happen this quickly.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The 3DS still exists to play Pokemon on. It has been explicitly stated the next games will be on Switch. RIP 3DS.

That's actually a really good point. Like I said, I think the 3DS will still be relevant for a while but it doesn't look like Nintendo itself is going to be making any first party games for it for the foreseeable future. Maybe a Metroid themed one (with the new Metroid game) will be released when there is some big Metroid Prime 4 for the Switch announcement but after that maybe they kill it? I could see Nintendo doing one last cash grab with it like that.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I dont know how much cash is left to be grabbed. Had Samus Returns came out a year ago I almost certainly would have bought it, but by the time it was actually released I had long ago tucked my 3DS away and don't plan on breaking it out anytime soon.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The 3DS still exists to play Pokemon on. It has been explicitly stated the next games will be on Switch. RIP 3DS.

I don't remember them saying the next Pokemon game (as in core game) will be for the Switch. they simply have said that Gamefreak is making a Pokemon game for the Switch.

Reasonably I don't see the reason the 3DS (or its logical successor) will be killed off by the Switch. they're still different. a Switch is more expensive, bigger, bulkier, and in spite of its portability is still heavily invested in being a home-based system.

I have a Switch. I have a 3DS. The latter I will happily pack in my bag or put in my pocket and take with me if I'm going to be somewhere that gives me some downtime to play games (on transit, waiting for someone, having a break or rest period in the middle of whatever I'm doing, etc). I might take a Switch on vacation, but I'm not going to carry it with me in the same way. Not when it costs up to twice as much (Depending on 3ds/2ds version) for the system and close to twice as much for the games.

I also know parents who will buy handhelds for their kids to take to school, but wouldn't let them take a Switch.

There's always going to be a market for dedicated handheld/portable systems. Or at least ones Nintendo makes. Unless they announce that they're going to cede the entire market to phones and start releasing all their future handheld games as phone apps, people will still buy Nintendo handhelds.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
@The Nemesis

You bring up a very good point about pricing. My only concern is the support of both....

Perhaps Nintendo will make cross-compatible games? A long shot but great for the consumer.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
They've supported separate handheld and console systems all the way back to the NES and original Game Boy. I think they can manage that just fine.

Oh I'm sure they can support it just fine, but with the Switch being what it is I'm not so sure that's their intent this time with the mobility being a key selling point of the Switch.

However, I fully admit I'm just speculating.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
How about...

Virtual Boy 2?

Nintendo could dominate the VR gaming niche if it wanted to. A VR headset and Bluetooth joycons just like the Switch’s. Keep the price down by going with a lower resolution just like they did on the Switch.

Virtual Mario.
Virtual Zelda.
Virtual Nintendo Classics Arcade.
Virtual Metroid Prime!

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I still think they'll come up with a Switch-"lite" of sorts. Maybe without a dock (which is $90 itself). Sell it for $199 and it's basically a 3DS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad