IS Mitch Marner a Compairison to Patrick Kane

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I've always seen him as very similar to Kane in terms or playing style. Don't think he will ever be near Kane's level in terms of goal scoring, and likely won't ever be on the same tier as him in general. Probably a step below his entire career, which definitely is not bad.

Reactions: TheNip

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I see more prime Marc Savard than Kane. Marner has that way of slowing the play down and making pin point passes.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
There's a lot of similarities to their games. They're both pass-first, extremely creative small wingers. Obviously when Marner was drafted the ceiling for him was (and still is) through the roof. If you're looking for comparisons for current small wingers that play at the level of that projected ceiling, there's not many options to choose from other than Kane and Gaudreau. I think Kane just got the nod because of the London connection. IMO Kane's got a much better shot and it's very unlikely Marner ever reaches peak Kane status. I do think Marner's got perennial top 10 scorer written all over him though. He's that good.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Kane’s scouting report on Marner.

“How can you not be impressed with him?” Kane said. “I didn’t realize how skilled he was, how good of a shot he had and how good he is at stripping pucks and making moves along the boards and different things like that.”

“I think there’s obviously some comparison there with the size and that we both played in London. He’s a top pick (fourth overall in 2015) as well,” Kane said. “One of the things with him that I really notice when I watch him is he’s got that all-around complete game where he’s blocking shots, playing defence–which I never really did that much at that age–and he has what seems like great chemistry with that line he’s been on with (James) van Riemsdyk and (Tyler) Bozak.”

Patrick Kane gives scouting report on Marner, Matthews, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Marner’s comparables for the draft were Kane and Giroux. I’d say he’s something of a mix, but also kinda unique.

Edit: he absolutely has the talent to be a point-per game+ player.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Always been a huge fan of Marner's game since juniors, kid had some of the dirtiest highlight reels but I don't think he reaches Kane level of greatness. Patty dominated the NHL the minute he took the ice leading his team in points and resulting in a massive jump up the standings as well. Marner has been pretty sheltered with the Leafs, and rightfully so, no need to rush a kid when you have that much offensive talent around him. Marner will be a top 25 player for much of his career but Kane was considered a top 3 player and I don't think Marner is there.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Kane might be the best comparable out of active players. Not sure if Marner can reach the offensive heights Kane did, especially goal-scoring. But there are some similarities.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Giroux feels like a better stylistic comp to me, but Kane isn't far off either

Kane's release, speed burst & top end are better and I really doubt that Marner ever comes close to Kane as a goal scorer (though his shot has improved as he's gotten a bit heavier/stronger, so there's probably still some improvement coming)

Marner's creativity and edges are right there though, he's going to thrive with linemates who can finish from inside the home plate area, he'll get them the puck with some space to do things with it. I won't be surprised if it's Marner who has the highest single season assist tally between them when it's all said and done

I do feel like Kane and Marner move differently on the ice. Kane does a lot of shake & bake fast hands, gets a defender to commit one way then uses his speed to get around them. Marner gets guys to bite hard on look offs and creates wide open lanes - he's more trickery and less speed than Kane

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Giroux feels like a better stylistic comp to me, but Kane isn't far off either

Kane's release, speed burst & top end are better and I really doubt that Marner ever comes close to Kane as a goal scorer (though his shot has improved as he's gotten a bit heavier/stronger, so there's probably still some improvement coming)

Marner's creativity and edges are right there though, he's going to thrive with linemates who can finish from inside the home plate area, he'll get them the puck with some space to do things with it. I won't be surprised if it's Marner who has the highest single season assist tally between them when it's all said and done

I do feel like Kane and Marner move differently on the ice. Kane does a lot of shake & bake fast hands, gets a defender to commit one way then uses his speed to get around them. Marner gets guys to bite hard on look offs and creates wide open lanes - he's more trickery and less speed than Kane

I'm not even sure if Kane is really a faster skater than Marner, it is fairly close and Marner can flat out fly when he is going full throttle. Marner is an extremely deceptive and crafty player with incredible vision, much like Kane. He won't ever quite have the hands Kane does IMO, or even the shot, but he will be a better skater and possibly even a better passer. While he will probably never have a peak season like Kane did he could very well be similar to Kane in all of his other prime seasons. His offensive ceiling is extremely high.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm not even sure if Kane is really a faster skater than Marner, it is fairly close and Marner can flat out fly when he is going full throttle. Marner is an extremely deceptive and crafty player with incredible vision, much like Kane. He won't ever quite have the hands Kane does IMO, or even the shot, but he will be a better skater and possibly even a better passer. While he will probably never have a peak season like Kane did he could very well be similar to Kane in all of his other prime seasons. His offensive ceiling is extremely high.
I think Kane wins a foot race, but it's more the initial burst than the top end

agree on the rest though, I think a lot of people are forgetting that it looked like Marner was going to be in the 40pt range for a while out of the gate this year and now 70 is a real possibility. I think he's well on pace to be an 80-90pt player in his prime

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
To even be compared to Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux, and Denis Savard, is very high praise.

I think Marner is going to be an absolute Superstar in this league.

Reactions: VainGretzky

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane might be the best comparable out of active players. Not sure if Marner can reach the offensive heights Kane did, especially goal-scoring. But there are some similarities.
Marner plays like the middle-ground between Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux. Not as explosive or as good a shot as Kane, but probably better than Giroux (especially at 20) at those things, but not as tenacious, defensively responsible or tough to play against as Giroux but better than Kane was, at least Kane at a younger age. I'm not sure he can ever be a top 3 Hart trophy finalist, but I wouldn't completely rule it out as I don't think either Giroux or Kane were expected to do that at 20 either.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner plays like the middle-ground between Patrick Kane and Claude Giroux. Not as explosive or as good a shot as Kane, but probably better than Giroux (especially at 20) at those things, but not as tenacious, defensively responsible or tough to play against as Giroux but better than Kane was, at least Kane at a younger age. I'm not sure he can ever be a top 3 Hart trophy finalist, but I wouldn't completely rule it out as I don't think either Giroux or Kane were expected to do that at 20 either.

Yeah exactly this.

Do you think Marner will end up on Matthews wing eventually, or will Babs having him driving another line?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Yeah exactly this.

Do you think Marner will end up on Matthews wing eventually, or will Babs having him driving another line?
people pretty much summed it up. hes pretty much a hybrid giroux kane

Marner unlikely sees any significant time with matthews, maybe on the pp in the future if they want to overload a unit.
Problem is both matthews and marner can drive a line, so as a line they would be great but would make the depth worse. is how babs would see it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah exactly this.

No idea, I think he'll see time on both. But, I think Babs has a lot of respect for Joel Quenneville, and will look at how Chicago split apart Toews and Kane to maximize success. I don't think he ever heavily played Datsyuk or Zetterberg togeather. Most of the good cup teams, tend to have their two best forwards on separate lines. Chicago, LA, and Pens all utilized this. Teams with stacked top units like Ducks and Canucks have seen less success.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
His pace since getting on Kadri's line has been over PPG and sustainable. I think he's a PPG player in the future with a Kane-like peak in the future if he gets put with one of the team's elite players like Kane did with Panarin.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
“....there is nothing wrong with having a Kane like winger if this is Marner's ceiling is it?

It's not like Kane is chopped liver. Being mentioned with Kane is Hardly an insult.”

-TheWinterSoldier

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...re-the-977th-978th-maple-leafs.1916273/page-4

So in need of my confirmation here. I should be impressed with myself that my opinion carries so much weight here, that @Kelly agreed.

The OP asked for stylistically. You might have missed this. Briere who was a very proficient player on the PP as Marner is was a very accurate comparable.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So in need of my confirmation here. I should be impressed with myself that my opinion carries so much weight here, that @Kelly agreed.

The OP asked for stylistically. You might have missed this. Briere who was a very proficient player on the PP as Marner is was a very accurate comparable.
Your opinions are like entropy.

Also, Patrick Kane is also proficient on the PP. :thumbu:

Mitch to me will end up producing high numbers comparable to Patrick Kane but I think their playing styles are quite different. Kane has a shooting mentality as much as he likes to dish the puck. This keeps the opposition honest and opens up space for Kane to get off his shots (which are all very very good). Marner tends to become a one trick pony at times. When he was back in London, he had a massive tendency of making flashy passes over ripping an easy shot. If he can start shooting more (and hitting the damn net instead of trying to pick corners and missing), his numbers should theoretically spike. Marner can be a regular 30-60-90 guy if he wanted to. It's up to him to play more consistently and not go through major slumps.

One thing that I like about what he's currently doing and one of the biggest reasons for his spike in production has been his ice time. Ever since I started watching this guy in London, he has thrived on added ice time. He used to play upwards of 25-28 minutes a night down the stretch in London and was used as an all purpose forward. And he performed very well when given those heavy minutes. Matty seems like his sweet spot ice time wise is around 18 minutes. I would keep him there and let Mitch be the only Leaf (other than Kadri) to hover near the 20+ mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: CujosMask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad