Value of: IS Mitch Marner a Compairison to Patrick Kane

IS Mitch Marner a Comparison to Patrick Kane.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Fair comparison stylistically, see him being closer to Gaudreau's caliber than Kane's but I guess we'll have to wait and see

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Just to put this out there Kane started playing as an 18 year old. So you really have to move marners 2 year with kanes third year. That would better compare these two. In kanes 20 yearold season he put up 88 points, Marner is on pace for 68.

Kane turned 19 like a month into the season because of where his birthday falls. I think comparing NHL years when the age gap was that close is a fair enough comparison.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
They're roughly equivalent players now.

Over the past two seasons:
  • Kane: 1.77 P1/60 ES vs Marner: 1.51 P1/60 ES
  • Kane: 2.47 GS/60 ES vs Marner: 2.27 GS/60 ES
  • Kane: 3.06 P1/60 PP vs Marner: 4.95 P1/60 PP
  • Kane: 4.17 GS/60 PP vs Marner: 5.94 GS/60 PP
So, Kane is a little more valuable at ES, and Marner is a little more valuable at PP.

And this is with Kane being fully matured, and Marner being 20yo.

It's kind of funny to see people think they are in a different class. They're not.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Patrick Kane, first two seasons (aged 19 + 20): 142 points in 162 games (0.876 PPG)
Mitch Marner, first two seasons (aged 19+20): 121 points in 149 games (0.812 PPG)

Offensively they have been fairly comparable through their first two seasons (especially considering he is averaging fewer minutes and less favorable zone starts) and I think Marner is better defensively than Kane at the same age.

A lot of people forget that it took a couple seasons for Kane to really take off to his current levels so let's give Mitch the same chance to see where he goes career wise?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Another Leaf thread started to bash the Leafs, at least spell comparable right. To answer your question he won't score as many goals, creative hell yes...name me the players that assisted on 40 or more goals in back to back seasons and it being there first two years.

Johnny Hockey, 4 seasons straight above 40 assists :)

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Patrick Kane, first two seasons (aged 19 + 20): 142 points in 162 games (0.876 PPG)
Mitch Marner, first two seasons (aged 19+20): 121 points in 149 games (0.812 PPG)

Offensively they have been fairly comparable through their first two seasons (especially considering he is averaging fewer minutes and less favorable zone starts) and I think Marner is better defensively than Kane at the same age.

A lot of people forget that it took a couple seasons for Kane to really take off to his current levels so let's give Mitch the same chance to see where he goes career wise?
yeah in kanes first two seasons he was 18 and 19 marner is 19 and 20. Is there a difference with one year yes

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Another Leaf thread started to bash the Leafs, at least spell comparable right. To answer your question he won't score as many goals, creative hell yes...name me the players that assisted on 40 or more goals in back to back seasons and it being there first two years.
It's funny how posters like yourself have no problem with Leaf threads flooding HF unless they could amount to some negativity.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I mean sure... but when Kane plays near his best he is on a whole other stratosphere... which is no slight to Marner at all.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I only bring this up because several Toronto Fans said he is equal to Patrick kanes playing ability. As in he is patrick kane 2.0 and thats what his value should be and if traded should land an elite dman (1-10) in league. I questioned that and want everyones opinion.
I doubt this, frankly.
This is a very transparent attempt, IMO.
If I was a betting man, I'd say someone said they wouldn't trade Marner for Parayko and you got offended so you started a thread. Not to mention this doesn't belong on the Trade board.

Am I close?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It's funny how posters like yourself have no problem with Leaf threads flooding HF unless they could amount to some negativity.

I have a problem with Leaf threads that are started by posters who clearly have an angle to downgrade that player. It's like the Matthews/Barzal rookie thread.....Barzal has 70 points already and Matthews had 69 points total, so who had the better rookie season....well no shit Sherlock, Barzal is having the better statistical season and will end up with more points this season, team success which it's all about...nope.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I have a problem with Leaf threads that are started by posters who clearly have an angle to downgrade that player. It's like the Matthews/Barzal rookie thread.....Barzal has 70 points already and Matthews had 69 points total, so who had the better rookie season....well no **** Sherlock, Barzal is having the better statistical season and will end up with more points this season, team success which it's all about...nope.
So basically you have no problem with Leafs fans starting Leafs threads about s*** no one cares about aside from Leafs fans, but you have a problem with non-Leaf fans starting a thread about a Leafs player that could potentially draw negativity? 2-way street buddy

S*** you guys were the ones who told us Marner is Kane 2.0. What's the issue now?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
:laugh: Wait, what...

Agreed. Comparing a 29 year old Kane to a 20 year old Marner is....remedial.

He was better at 20 and Juniors as well...

One could argue 24 year old Kucherov is superior to what 24 year old Kane was. As 20 year olds, however, Kucherov was well behind Kane\Marner.

Linemates likely have affected that as well. Stamkos and the Tripplets are a lot better Bickell, Hanzeus, rookie Saad, Shaw etc. Also Kane was used as a center for most of his 23 and 24 years which affected his numbers there is a lot more that has to be factored other than looking at numbers on a stat sheet.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So basically you have no problem with Leafs fans starting Leafs threads about s*** no one cares about aside from Leafs fans, but you have a problem with non-Leaf fans starting a thread about a Leafs player that could potentially draw negativity? 2-way street buddy

S*** you guys were the ones who told us Marner is Kane 2.0. What's the issue now?

Kane was the NHL scout comparison of Marner...what do you want Leaf fans to do about that? Listen to the Sam Gagner garbage that was being spewed around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad