Value of: IS Mitch Marner a Compairison to Patrick Kane

IS Mitch Marner a Comparison to Patrick Kane.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
In what way? Playing style? I feel like Marner will end up better defensively than Kane but not as creative
I only bring this up because several Toronto Fans said he is equal to Patrick kanes playing ability. As in he is patrick kane 2.0 and thats what his value should be and if traded should land an elite dman (1-10) in league. I questioned that and want everyones opinion.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I only bring this up because several Toronto Fans said he is equal to Patrick kanes playing ability. As in he is patrick kane 2.0 and thats what his value should be and if traded should land an elite dman (1-10) in league. I questioned that and want everyones opinion.
So this is just a reactionary thread to some fans saying something about a player that is undervalued?

Reactions: Leafs1993

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Best not to take Toronto fan's evaluations of their own players too seriously. Every fan base pumps up their own guys, but they've got it going to another level, particularly bad with Marner imo.

So, no he's not on Kane's level I'd say. Kane is one of the top, top players in the league over the past decade. Marner is a very good young player but not directly comparable to Kane.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol Leafs fans aren't even safe from bash threads on the trade section. Dude whenever someone says something that comes across as outlandish you don't need to start a thread.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Actually, a comparison of the age-20 seasons for both players was made in another Marner thread. And indeed they are comparable.

The OP got angry, then petulant, when he didn't get his way. So he started another thread.

Its not his fault.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
By the consensus's its 17(no)-3 (yes/probably all of these are leaf fans) so no not even close, Kane helped lead the Hawks to not 1 but 3 Lord Stanley's, Marner helped lead the Leafs to the playoffs once (will be twice)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Kane is 4th in league scoring since 08 (3rd since 10) behind the obvious 3 of Crosby Ovi and Malkin. Id like to see Marner have a few ppg seasons before we ever talk about this comparison again

Reactions: Aggie204

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Compare their numbers: (Marner with 10 more games this season)

Marner:
77 games, 19 goals, 42 assists, 61 points PP: 4 goals, 17 assists, 21 points
72 games 19 goals, 41 assists, 60 points PP: 7 goals, 17 assists, 24 points

Kane:
82 games, 21 goals, 51 assists, 72 points PP: 7 goals, 21 assists, 28 points
80 games, 25 goals, 45 assists, 70 points PP: 13 goals, 22 assists, 35 points

Kane had the better rookie year but if Marner continues to play well the last 10 games they will have pretty comparable sophomore numbers. They have the similar shifty playing style that frees up space for them to create.

I think when people compare the automatic reaction is "no way he's as good as him." Which I don't think people are necessarily saying Marner will be Kane just that they have similar style and approach to the game which projects a good career for Marner not who's better or will he be worse, as good or better than Kane.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Best not to take Toronto fan's evaluations of their own players too seriously. Every fan base pumps up their own guys, but they've got it going to another level, particularly bad with Marner imo.

So, no he's not on Kane's level I'd say. Kane is one of the top, top players in the league over the past decade. Marner is a very good young player but not directly comparable to Kane.
Thats kind of what i thought.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
They have a similar style and are both smaller players, not surprising P.Kane would be a comparable (best case scenario) for Marner. Looking at stats:

P.Kane is currently in his 11th NHL season and is slightly above a career point per game pace. Kane's 3 highest scoring season are: 106, 89, and 88 points.

I can see Marner being around a point per game player in his prime and possibly being in the 90ish point range for his high watermark. I will not predict that he gets close to the 106 point season however.

I don't think the comparison is absurd nor do I think it is discrediting to P.Kane. However, I do not believe Marner will be able to reach the career scoring stats that P.Kane will end with.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Compare their numbers: (Marner with 10 more games this season)

Marner:
77 games, 19 goals, 42 assists, 61 points PP: 4 goals, 17 assists, 21 points
72 games 19 goals, 41 assists, 60 points PP: 7 goals, 17 assists, 24 points

Kane:
82 games, 21 goals, 51 assists, 72 points PP: 7 goals, 21 assists, 28 points
80 games, 25 goals, 45 assists, 70 points PP: 13 goals, 22 assists, 35 points

Kane had the better rookie year but if Marner continues to play well the last 10 games they will have pretty comparable sophomore numbers. They have the similar shifty playing style that frees up space for them to create.

I think when people compare the automatic reaction is "no way he's as good as him." Which I don't think people are necessarily saying Marner will be Kane just that they have similar style and approach to the game which projects a good career for Marner not who's better or will he be worse, as good or better than Kane.

Just to put this out there Kane started playing as an 18 year old. So you really have to move marners 2 year with kanes third year. That would better compare these two. In kanes 20 yearold season he put up 88 points, Marner is on pace for 68.

Reactions: TS Quint

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

wait... are you comparing Marner to current day in his prime 3x Cup Champion, Hart winning 29 year old star?

Why would you compare a 20 year old to that and not him at Marner's age/progression?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This sums up HF perfectly, carry on.

Reactions: Aggie204 and Colt55

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
By the consensus's its 17(no)-3 (yes/probably all of these are leaf fans) so no not even close, Kane helped lead the Hawks to not 1 but 3 Lord Stanley's, Marner helped lead the Leafs to the playoffs once (will be twice)

:laugh: Wait, what...

Kane is 4th in league scoring since 08 (3rd since 10) behind the obvious 3 of Crosby Ovi and Malkin. Id like to see Marner have a few ppg seasons before we ever talk about this comparison again

Agreed. Comparing a 29 year old Kane to a 20 year old Marner is....remedial.

If any young winger can be compared to Kane it’s Kucherov, not Marner.

One could argue 24 year old Kucherov is superior to what 24 year old Kane was. As 20 year olds, however, Kucherov was well behind Kane\Marner.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Is Mitch Marner compairable to Patrick Kane

Another Leaf thread started to bash the Leafs, at least spell comparable right. To answer your question he won't score as many goals, creative hell yes...name me the players that assisted on 40 or more goals in back to back seasons and it being there first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->