Is Matthews the best goal scorer to enter the leauge since OV?

Is Matthews the best pure scorer to enter the league since OV?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 3

Votes: 41 24.8%
  • No, but top 5

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, but top 10

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • No, not even top 10

Votes: 26 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Stamkos, Crosby, Tarasenko etc...

No.
Kind of funny how Matthews' topped Tarasenko's career high in goals as a rookie.

Matthews goal scoring ability >>>>>>>> Tarasenkos.

Oh yeah and Matthews > Stamkos too. Matthews isn't limited to being a one-trick pony. And he'll be far better in the playoffs too.

Not really sure how anyone can vote against Matthews in this, pretty clear-cut.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Kind of funny how Matthews' topped Tarasenko's career high in goals as a rookie.

Oh yeah and Matthews > Stamkos too. Matthews isn't limited to being a one-trick pony. And he'll be far better in the playoffs too.

What's wrong with you? Tarasenko also got 40 and has been close to it the previous 2 years. Matthews is amazing, but that was a horrible post.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

It's almost as if people are going to look at more than one season when comparing goal scoring ability.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The standard is about 45 goals this year to match Stamkos' 2nd year.

Wouldn't that number be 51?

Stamkos won the Rocket Richard his 2nd year. Well, tied for it with Crosby, but that's a win.

Or are you trying to adjust?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You are right in this case, just something I noticed a lot lately.

I guess as for the question, he has proven to be a 40 goal scorer as a rookie. That puts him in the conversation, I'd think a back to back 40 goal seasons would have him in the top 2 or 3 and a 3rd 40 goal season would have him planted firmly at #2.

My list is based on their careers to date:

Ovi
Stamkos
Tarasenko
Crosby
Matthews
Kessel

This is trying to balance last year and career with last year holding a bit more weight. I voted Top 3 but change that to Top 5.

Are you talking about careers or current (at that point) level when talking about 3 straight 40 goal years? Because there's no way that would put him above Stamkos in career ability, and if we're talking about current level, it would depend on what those other guys are putting up as well.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Are you talking about careers or current (at that point) level when talking about 3 straight 40 goal years? Because there's no way that would put him above Stamkos in career ability, and if we're talking about current level, it would depend on what those other guys are putting up as well.

I'd label him a better goal soccer if he did it. Stammer doesn't have 3 40 goal seasons in a row.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd label him a better goal soccer if he did it. Stammer doesn't have 3 40 goal seasons in a row.

He had 51, 45, and 60 in a row followed by 29 in the 48 game lockout season (just under 50 point pace), and had another 43 goal season. Matthews would have to do a lot more than three 40 goal seasons to pass him.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He had 51, 45, and 60 in a row followed by 29 in the 48 game lockout season (just under 50 point pace), and had another 43 goal season. Matthews would have to do a lot more than three 40 goal seasons to pass him.

Yep I was wrong, I missed it. Currently I'd take a bet that Matthews out scores stammer this year and I love stammer

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yep missed that. I'd then call them even.

Even seems to ignore the fact Stamkos had a 51 goal season, and a 60 goal season in there. And also that he was on pace for it in the lockout shortened season in 2012-2013, as well as in 2013-2014 with his injuries. Or that when he was healthy again 2014-2015 he put up 40 goals again.

I'm not one to make the "on pace" argument when it isn't a full 82 games, but when it's consistent with a player's career, I think it's definitely noteworthy. Stamkos has 6 straight seasons where he has a 40(or more) goal pace over 82 games. And a 7th where he is 2 goals shy of that pace. That's remarkable.

Yep I was wrong, I missed it. Currently I'd take a bet that Matthews out scores stammer this year and I love stammer

Fair enough.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

If we can't talk about something or call someone equal or better until they are 5-7 years into their career let's lock up 50% of the threads.

As of now Matthews has 40 goals seasons 100% of his cart. If he stays that way for 3 or more seasons that is unbelievable and carries a lot of weight.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He might. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a better goalscorer the rest of their career overlap at this point. But in terms of career he has a lot to do to catch up

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
What does selanne have to do with this? And in what world.is Matthews a prospect? What a joke.

It's just a parallel. One rookie season of 40 goals doesn't earn him that title, neither would 50 goals have. He could potentially get there, though, time will tell.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Laine says hello, it's definitely between them and Kuch. Let's not forget Matthews lead Laine by 3 Goals at the start of the season last year(Laine lead in Goals for the majority of the season then on until his injury). We need to really wait until Qaurter season to analyze this. Matthews might just be a rich mans Stammer though.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
because he doesn't need to do that to be the best since Ovechkin he just needs to stay healthy and keep producing

That's false.

It might be true for you to think he's better, but for a more objective viewer they might need a peak that can match someone like Stamkos. Or the consistency. Or the consistency with a high peak.

In other words, it might take more than just staying healthy and producing. That is, for NHL fans who aren't Leafs fans. And maybe some of them too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
60 goals is better than anything Matthews will do in his career.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stamkos is the man to best at the moment but it's in within Matthews ability to reach that level or even potentially surpass it.

He just has this absolutely lethal combination of an accurate shot, high shot generation all with he ability to position himself well into high danger scoring areas.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I honestly never understood clicking on a thread just to ***** about the topic.

If it bothers you that much, just don't click on it.

As for the actual thread I'd say he's top 5 with Tarasenko, Stamkos, Kucherov and I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Two tome rocket winner Crosby?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's false.

It might be true for you to think he's better, but for a more objective viewer they might need a peak that can match someone like Stamkos. Or the consistency. Or the consistency with a high peak.

In other words, it might take more than just staying healthy and producing. That is, for NHL fans who aren't Leafs fans. And maybe some of them too.

So if he never hits 60 but has say 5 straight years of minimum 40 goals, so last year he hit 40.

Let's say he hits 50 this year

54 next year 48 in 19 20

And in 20-21 52.

That's 5 straight years of 40+ goals 3 years of 50+ goals

by the way he's capable of that, he's capable of 5 straight years of 40+ goals and 3 years of 50+ goals.

Is that not better than 1 season of 60 goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->