Is Malkin really all that better than Semin?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I would say there's a few degrees between them. Malkin is a franchise player (some might even say generational), I think Semin could be a perennial all-star.
Malkin reminds me of a bigger version of Peter Forsberg from watching him in 2 games so far. Forsberg while great and a franchise player when healthy is NOT generational, Malkin isn't either. Not every great superstar young player is a generational talent. Potential superstar yes, but generational talent is beyond superstar.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Semin is just on a hot streak, remember Pavel Vorobiev at the beginning of last season? Grant Stevenson in the first few games he was called up? I'm not saying that Semin will end up like those two, I am just saying that players get hot and cold, I doubt Semin keeps it up. Malkin will consistently outproduce him over the course of the year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Nah, that's for Kopitar. (Semin's ineligible anyhow.)

Malkin is a more complete player compared to Semin. The one area where Semin may have an advantage is his wrist shot and goal-scoring ability. Elsewhere, Malkin's got the clear edge.</twocents>

Have you actually seen Malkin's wrist shot? I'm sorry, but what you've seen in three games from Malkin is what amounts to his preseason. If he hadn't been injured, he would have had opportunities to work on his timing (which seems a little off given the injury) and to get some game time to adapt to playing on NHL rinks and to the NHL style. In the end, though, I think I'll refer you to Ovechkin for the tie-breaker. At the Olympics, he was asked if Malkin or Crosby is better. He said Malkin. Everyone went "ooh" and Pens fans started whining. But, when asked a follow up question-- who is the best player on team Russia-- Ovechkin's answer was "Malkin". Semin is a nice player-- a highly skilled offensive player with a decently rounded game. But, watch a half dozen or so more Penguins games (to give Malkin his "adapting period" he didn't get during preseason), and I think you'll see why Ovechkin thinks the way he does about Malkin. On the other hand, what does Ovechkin really know?:D

EDIT: Dear Jim Jones, saying Malkin is like Backstrom is the equivalent of saying Lemieux is like Francis. That's not to equate Malkin and Lemieux or Backstrom and Francis. Rather, it's to illuminate how far off your comparison was.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Malkin reminds me of a bigger version of Peter Forsberg from watching him in 2 games so far. Forsberg while great and a franchise player when healthy is NOT generational, Malkin isn't either. Not every great superstar young player is a generational talent. Potential superstar yes, but generational talent is beyond superstar.

I'd say Forsberg could be a generational talent - he's certainly more than just a superstar. He's right up there with Jagr and Lemieux as the best forward in the NHL over the past 10 years (when healthy).

I think Malkin has that same potential -- same as goes for Sid and Ovy. IMHO, not since Forsberg/Lindros has there been anybody with as much potential as these 3.
Apart from maybe Tavares (he still has a loooong ways to go) I don't see any young talent in Malkins/Crosbys/Ovechkins league either.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I would say there's a few degrees between them. Malkin is a franchise player (some might even say generational), I think Semin could be a perennial all-star.

Malkin "is"

Semin "could"

I would agree with your statement if "could" is used for both of them and few is removed. Not sure if it was a mistypo or your clairvoyant bias.

What is in between franchise player and perennial all-star?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Have you actually seen Malkin's wrist shot? I'm sorry, but what you've seen in three games from Malkin is what amounts to his preseason.
Meh. Yes, I've seen Malkin's wrister. Semin is able to get it off from very unconventional angles quickly and accurately. In terms of working in small areas, Semin's has a slight edge.

(...and if you look really closely at my post, I said Malkin was the better all-around player.)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Semin is just on a hot streak, remember Pavel Vorobiev at the beginning of last season? Grant Stevenson in the first few games he was called up? I'm not saying that Semin will end up like those two, I am just saying that players get hot and cold, I doubt Semin keeps it up. Malkin will consistently outproduce him over the course of the year.

Vorobiev scored 9 goals and 21 pts goals in 39 games.

Semin has 8 goals and 11 pts in 7 games. (2nd line)

Not even close.

He's very very talented, he just doesn't have Malkin's versatility.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
offensively in the goal scoring department it might be debateable.

But otherwise, really isnt' very close. Malkin's the better/more complete prospect.

But Semin is going to be a real good one. If he wants it, he could be a perenial All Star.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Meh. Yes, I've seen Malkin's wrister. Semin is able to get it off from very unconventional angles quickly and accurately. In terms of working in small areas, Semin's has a slight edge.

(...and if you look really closely at my post, I said Malkin was the better all-around player.)

One of the things about Semin that really surprises me is his patience with the puck, his ability to make the other player commit first, and his ability to freeze goalies and beat them before they know what's coming.

He's not wearing a mirrored visor so it will be interesting to see how the goalies adjust to him over the year.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
EDIT: Dear Jim Jones, saying Malkin is like Backstrom is the equivalent of saying Lemieux is like Francis. That's not to equate Malkin and Lemieux or Backstrom and Francis. Rather, it's to illuminate how far off your comparison was.

well if you had actually read what I said "Im wondering if a Backstrom/Malkin comparison is a little closer" you would see that I wasnt comparing them, just that if you were to compare 2 players....that might be a better pair

show me where I said they were "equivalent"....and until then keep your trap shut

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven

Have you even watched Semin play? The reason I started this thread is that Semin has played above the expectations of even the biggest caps homer. Do you know who his linemates are? Kris Beech and Richard Zednik. He has showed very good commitment and awareness in his own zone and a consistent effort to bang the boards. I would rather have Malkin, but from what i've seen, its closer than some who've posted in this thread would have you think, especially Luigi Lemieux who can not have seen much of Semin to make such an ignorant comment.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Have you even watched Semin play? The reason I started this thread is that Semin has played above the expectations of even the biggest caps homer. Do you know who his linemates are? Kris Beech and Richard Zednik. He has showed very good commitment and awareness in his own zone and a consistent effort to bang the boards. I would rather have Malkin, but from what i've seen, its closer than some who've posted in this thread would have you think, especially Luigi Lemieux who can not have seen much of Semin to make such an ignorant comment.

From everything I've seen from RSL to WC games it isn't close. Semin's a stud but we're only 7 or so games in. Not to mention Malkin is 2 years younger.
Picture Malkin 2 years from now......that's scary.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

It IS early. Players get hot, players get relatively cold. Do you think that Ovechkin will not take off and end up north of 100 points by the end of the year? That would be the opposite equivilent of prematurely jumping off the bandwagon because Semin outscored him early on. And yes, I would and am betting the same, Ovechkin will be top five in scoring in the league when the dust settles. Semin may prove during the course of the year to be in that catagory. I have learned to never say never. But it is not off the wall to say that it is a bit premature to say hold on a while before jumping on the bandwagon. Especially for players who are playing above the expectations of everyone early on in the season.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
From everything I've seen from RSL to WC games it isn't close. Semin's a stud but we're only 7 or so games in. Not to mention Malkin is 2 years younger.
Picture Malkin 2 years from now......that's scary.

I thought you can't get better from age 20 to 22...:sarcasm:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Yes. Malkin is on another level than him.

Semin lacks the mental tenacity and makeup to be on Evgeni's level. Consistency is also something thats an issue for Semin. Until he can show up on a nightly basis this isn't even debatable.
He was talking about early on in the season last year, not throughout the entire year...

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com

Semin has 8 goals and 11 pts in 7 games. (2nd line)

Not even close.

He's very very talented, he just doesn't have Malkin's versatility.

He's saying Vorobiev is in the same positon as Semin last year, a young players whos among the leaders in points at the start of the season. As you can see he really cooled off..

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Semin lacks the mental tenacity and makeup to be on Evgeni's level.

I see what you're saying, but that's a fallacious statement because you don't know him personally, are not his coach or his shrink. Nor do you have any (presumably) personal connection to him that allows you to make such a claim with persuasive confidence.

With regards to his consistency and mental tenacity, how would you feel as a player being forcibly relocated to a team towards which you felt no loyalty? I think it's undebatable that your production would suffer visibly. Obviously there have been articles repremanding his motivation, but you need to consider what he's been through, with the AHL drama, military fiasco and his forcible relocation.

From everything I've seen, he is probably the best caps forward right now. He is physical for a guy his size, backchecks with the best of them, and creates chances for himself and his teamates when he is on the ice. He has, literally, one of the best wristers I've ever seen, and will take a shot from everywhere.

He's obviously no Malkin, but thus far has proved more at the NHL level. Malkin is also playing on a line with Crosby, which will help him produce--by saying that I'm not trying to detract from his obvious talent (even though everyone will twist my words in order to think that I am), but when you compare Malkin's linemates with Semin's, there's a clear disparity. Yes, Semin doesn't draw the oppositions top dmen, but I think playing with Crosby adds more to Malkin's production than playing with the 2nd pair adds to Semin's production.

I honestly don't think Malkin's point potential exceeds Semin's that much. He will probably produce more points overall, but Semin has 50 goal potential, something Malkin might hit once or twice but not on a regular basis.

Malkin's potential I see as 40-65-105
Semin's potential I see as 50-40-90

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i was just kidding yo. i have seen semin, and i think he's awesome. could be a 50 goal scorer eventually.(maybe this year)

i do think though that goal scoring is the only area where semin may have a slight advantage.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
shouldn't Semin be compared to Ovechkin and Crosby rather then Malkin, seeing as Malkin is a rookie and Semin is not.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Yes. Malkin is on another level than him.

Semin lacks the mental tenacity and makeup to be on Evgeni's level. Consistency is also something thats an issue for Semin. Until he can show up on a nightly basis this isn't even debatable.

He was talking about early on in the season last year, not throughout the entire year...

Vorobiev is nowhere near Semin.

If you watch AS play, it's clear he has All-Star potential. His skill set challenges Ovechkin's.

I'm not sure where you pulled the "lacks mental tenacity" from; He has a 7 game point streak going- longest in the league.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
i was just kidding yo. i have seen semin, and i think he's awesome. could be a 50 goal scorer eventually.(maybe this year)

i do think though that goal scoring is the only area where semin may have a slight advantage.

Sorry, didn't pick up the sarcasm=P I am being a homer to bring up this comparison, but i've just got semin on my mind 24/7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad