Is Malkin really all that better than Semin?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Lol, I don't really think you can say that Semin isn't in the same level as some of the potential world's best. Semin has 50 goal potential and has the ability to be a superstar in his own right. I'd put probably the top 5 young russians as Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin and Zherdev, and all 5 aren't leagues apart from the rest, all have superstar potential or are already superstars.

Reilly*

let's see who has more points at the end of the see mmm'kay?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
What sets Malkin apart is his size. He's slick with the puck and can shoot and skate like a beast. Semin is a wizard, too, but Malkin can also overpower players as well as beat them with finesse. Not taking anything away from Semin, but Malkin has that extra dimension.

If you haven't already seen it, check out this highlight reel of some of the goals he's scored in the RSL and for Russia in international play. the soundtrack is horrible, but it was sweet to watch. It's from YouTube sometime and it's called Malkin montage.

If this link doesn't work, go there and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotgArHkM-8

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany

SniperMogilny2K6*

Semin>Malkin :teach:

Malkin has potential to be better though.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Semin to me just seems to be lacking the fly moments that Malkin can represent leading to much sorrow amongst Capitals fans.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I know hes bigger, hes younger and hes a center, but is Evgeni Malkin really on a different level than Semin as a prospect?

I would have to say that Semin probably isnt on that level.....as far as potential goes anyway. This is kind of a odd comparison......age, size, position, play style all all quite different....

To me he seems to fly under the radar of many a HF poster. I remember when the latest top 50 came out I was pleased to see Semin in the top 10 (where he certainly belonged IMO) but many a poster seemed shocked at that. I understand what had happened the last couple years with him, and how that might impact his ranking........but in the end the makers of that list said what several of us that have watched him a lot have been saying.....he really is that good. In terms of offensive skill, he has it all in his bag of tricks. A goal scorers shot/release, more moves than Exlax, and a creative passer.....

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
But defensively I would rather have Malkin on me then Semin.
Haha, that's so bad. I can only imagine what the Semin jokes must be like on the Caps board.
Reilly said:
let's see who has more points at the end of the see mmm'kay?
But there's a lot more to hockey than just points. The way Semin is playing, he and Malkin could end up with similar point totals. But does Semin kill penalties and play defense like Malkin? I haven't seen any Caps games yet this year, but I suspect Malkin's defense probably puts him on a different level than Semin.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Haha, that's so bad. I can only imagine what the Semin jokes must be like on the Caps board.

But there's a lot more to hockey than just points. The way Semin is playing, he and Malkin could end up with similar point totals. But does Semin kill penalties and play defense like Malkin? I haven't seen any Caps games yet this year, but I suspect Malkin's defense probably puts him on a different level than Semin.

During the preseason he was killing penalties and also taking faceoffs (Actually doing pretty well). I was surprised at his ability in both.

But on this Caps team, I think that it would be a waste of Semin's talents to be out there killing penalties except for the final 20-30 sec where he could potentially take advantage of a tired PP or a man out of the box transition into offense.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

Its very unlikely that Semin will be the defensive player Malkin will most likely be in the NHL.....but Semin is hardly a liability in his own end

Im wondering if a Backstrom/Malkin comparison is a little closer....although again, play style seems to be a lot different....they at least play the same position and like Malkin did last season in the RSL, Backstrom seems to be dominating playing against men already

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Semin to me just seems to be lacking the fly moments that Malkin can represent leading to much sorrow amongst Capitals fans.

Semin has "fly moments" every game, they just aren't as popular as Malkin's.

It's pretty much the consensus among Caps fans that he's outshone Ovechkin through 7 games, significantly. Which isn't to say AO has been horrible, just that Semin has been fantastic.

As equal as they are offensively, Malkin has the edge for his defensive ability, IMO Semin does have the potential to score *a lot* of goals, so I wouldn't close the book.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I will reserve judgement until Malkin plays a handful of games then returns to Russia after refusing to report to Wilkes-Barre. :sarcasm:

I think Malkin is a much better player. Better offensively, not as flashy, but more effective. He will also be a better all-around player

PensFan27

Mar 24, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Both are great, but i think Malkin will be on that level in a few years that Crosby is, one of the top 5 players in the league. I cant see Semin doing that. Then again im bias. :)

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I will reserve judgement until Malkin plays a handful of games then returns to Russia after refusing to report to Wilkes-Barre. :sarcasm:

I think Malkin is a much better player. Better offensively, not as flashy, but more effective. He will also be a better all-around player

I wish it were true then Semin would win the Calder this year!:p:

Edit: Looks like we got another sticky thread brewin'!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wish it were true then Semin would win the Calder this year!:p:

Edit: Looks like we got another sticky thread brewin'!
Nah, that's for Kopitar. (Semin's ineligible anyhow.)

Malkin is a more complete player compared to Semin. The one area where Semin may have an advantage is his wrist shot and goal-scoring ability. Elsewhere, Malkin's got the clear edge.</twocents>

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Nah, that's for Kopitar. (Semin's ineligible anyhow.)

Malkin is a more complete player compared to Semin. The one area where Semin may have an advantage is his wrist shot and goal-scoring ability. Elsewhere, Malkin's got the clear edge.</twocents>

I know and I agree that Malkin is a better prospect. "THAT" much better is debatable on many levels including the meaning of "THAT".

But my response was mocking his attempted at humor that Semin only played a handful of games. If it were true, Semin would be eligible. But, as we all know, he is not, since he has played more than a handful of games.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I know and I agree that Malkin is a better prospect. "THAT" much better is debatable on many levels including the meaning of "THAT".

But my response was mocking his attempted at humor that Semin only played a handful of games. If it were true, Semin would be eligible. But, as we all know, he is not, since he has played more than a handful of games.

I would say there's a few degrees between them. Malkin is a franchise player (some might even say generational), I think Semin could be a perennial all-star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad