Is Malkin really 10-11 months younger than Ovechkin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ero and AK, thanks for the links. I hadn't read anything about either of them, Barker, Olesz, Schremp, Tukonen or whomever about work ethic, leadership, and those types of things.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Foppa_Rules said:
He got his first award in soccer. He playes basketball, soccer, billiards, tennis, and table tennis as well as hockey.........where was Malkin during this time?

Malkin was busy perfecting his Lawn Darts game. Man, if you could only see him play. :)

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
roast said:
P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S!!!!

You're arguing over two players who have NOT played yet in the NHL. Very few people here have seen these players live. You're also arguing over 2 players that haven't even been drafted. WAIT TILL THEY COME TO THE NHL!!!!!!!!!!
Umm, is it just me, or is the name of this site hockey's future? If you want hockey's present, you're on the wrong board in the wrong forum.

Thanks for playing, and come back next time!
Heaven forbid we actually talk about the #'s 1 and 2 of their draft class in the year they're drafted. Blasphemy!
~Crazed.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Irish_Leaf said:
Last year in the draft Florida tried to draft Ovechkin in the 8th round claiming that at least 2 leap years had passed since he was born therefore making him elidgeable. :lol

Yeah... Dudley will draft your moma if he wants to.. :lol

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
roast said:
P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S!!!!

You're arguing over two players who have NOT played yet in the NHL. Very few people here have seen these players live. You're also arguing over 2 players that haven't even been drafted. WAIT TILL THEY COME TO THE NHL!!!!!!!!!!

And then decide who your team should draft? :dunno:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Alex Kovalev said:
Ovechkins highschool grade point average was 82.7, Malkins was 82.6. :joker:

Malkin was the youngest in his class. It prorates to 82.8 so Malkin is still better! :joker:

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Foppa_Rules said:
At this WJC Ovechkin had 5 goals while Malkin had 1. I don't call that outperforming. Ovechkin at 16 broke the scoring record in the tournament Malkin is playing in now as a 18 year old and Malkin when I checked the day before yesterday was not in the top ten in scoring. Malkin had 3 goals in the Superleague this year while Ovechkin had 13. If you want to say Malkin is a 9.5 months younger, compare Malkin's stats from this year to Ovechkin's from last year. Ovechkin still wins. Ovechkin last year had 8 goals 16 points, Malkin this year had 3 goals 12 points.

:troll:
oh and this one
:deadhorse

now please move on with your life

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Who cares about this Foppa character? All of his posts in this thread have been Pejorative Slured.

I was watching him post in the Crosby thread, and it sounded like his favorite team was going to be whoever drafted Ovechkin. Picking your favorite team based on a teenager with no guaranteed success? Madness.

How long have you been a hockey fan? Seriously, this is mind boggling to me, as I've never even heard of a sports fan behave this way, unless your Ovechkin's brother or something. I'm not sure you see how ridiculous this looks.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Malkin has closed the gap a bit, but Ovechkin is still perceived by most scouts as the superior talent....there, can we move on now?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I certainly haven't picked Ovechkin as a favorite player yet. He's just a very good prospect and you guys are totally obsessed with Crosby. Forsberg is my favorite player and if you go ever to the Avalanche board you'd see that. The truth needs to be told and some of you are misrepresenting the truth about some of these prospects and blowing your favorites up to be Gretzkys. (Crosby)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
I certainly haven't picked Ovechkin as a favorite player yet. He's just a very good prospect and you guys are totally obsessed with Crosby. Forsberg is my favorite player and if you go ever to the Avalanche board you'd see that. The truth needs to be told and some of you are misrepresenting the truth about some of these prospects and blowing your favorites up to be Gretzkys. (Crosby)

I think you are misrepresenting the truth about Ovechkin.

All Russian athletes are trained to be well rounded, so the fact he plays tennis, soccer, ping pong, he is the PS2 Madden Champion for Moscow, etc, means very little.

Why you presented those facts in this thread is somewhat baffling.

My little cousin was born in Novgorod, and was moved to an orphanage in Moscow where she was adopted by my aunt and uncle 5 years ago. So my family and I have been fortunate enough to meet many wonderful Russian families from Moscow, where Ovechkin was born.

It is funny people here are trying to compare Ovechkin to Lemieux, when all of the Russians I talk to say he has "a long way to go" to ever achieve the greatness of Kharlamov.

These are people who would know better than you and me.

Kharlamov was every bit as great as Gretzky and Mario, and if you ever watch old footage of him, I think you would agree.

With the exception of a few of my Russian friends, they also believe Malkin isn't that far behind Ovechkin.

However, neither is like Kharlamov they insist.

They have great pride (the males mostly) in all Russian hockey players, much the same way Canadians do.

I get the feeling they would rather both Ovechkin and Malkin stay in the Superleague, rather than come to the NHL, however.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Of course they would rather have them stay. The NHL is in North America, not there. They have great pride in their hockey and their players are coming over here. And I agree he is not the next Lemeuix. Probably never will be. I have never said he was and I don't expect him to be. All I've done is state the facts. You can draw your own conclusions according to your perspective.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
so why do you base your favorite team on who's drafting this guy?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
Of course they would rather have them stay. The NHL is in North America, not there. They have great pride in their hockey and their players are coming over here. And I agree he is not the next Lemeuix. Probably never will be. I have never said he was and I don't expect him to be. All I've done is state the facts. You can draw your own conclusions according to your perspective.

Actually many Russians are happy to see their countrymen do well in the NHL and make better lives for themselves.

They are very patriotic and proud of their country.

Just a high number of the Russians I know would rather they stay in the Superleague. However, not all Russians feel that way.

Ovechkin I am sure will never be like Mario, no player will. Not until the game opens up.

Again, I don't see his name on any WJC records, and everything is just hype until he proves himself in the NHL.

Just as Malkin will have to do. Then in 5 years people can compare the two if they like.

Until then take it easy and stop going off the deep end everytime someone talks about Malkin.

He is a great talent as well, and it just makes you look foolish when you put him down.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
MagnusJondus said:
Malkin was busy perfecting his Lawn Darts game. Man, if you could only see him play. :)
Looks like the Big O had a Nick Nolte moment.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
WVpens said:
so why do you base your favorite team on who's drafting this guy?

Because Forsberg is my favorite player and unfortunetly he is retiring most likely after this season--of course there is still a small hope he will come back someday :) . But since he is leaving, I need to find another favorite player when he does leave. I have NOT picked Ovechkin yet. He could be a bust when he gets that big rookie contract and all the fame, ect. he will find over here. He could turn into the next Yashin, though it isn't likely. If Ovechkin turns ditz, I'll probably pick Thornton. Even though Thornton hasn't been spectacular this playoffs yet--he IS injured you know--he's an awesome hockey player and power forwards are my favorite players. They can hit and score. Knock somebody down and then go put the puck in the net. I love it. :yo:

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Nice to see Malkin named U18 Best Forward...

<This space reserved for Ovechkin fan to chime in and point out the obvious about Malkin's level of competition in order to constantly remind us of AO's greatness>

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MagnusJondus said:
Nice to see Malkin named U18 Best Forward...

<This space reserved for Ovechkin fan to chime in and point out the obvious about Malkin's level of competition in order to constantly remind us of AO's greatness>

As you wish. :D

Ovechkin was named the RSL's best left wing yesterday. Malkin was named "Best Novice". Ovy also scored 2 goals/1assist against the Czech's NHL-laden team as Russia won 8-4. (almost with the hatty)

Kovalchuck was held scoreless.

:innocent:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Those goals Ovechkin scored were against Chechmanek too. NHL goalie. Wasn't there a story going around before that Malkin used performance enhancers and failed the Russian's drug test before this year's world juniors, then his Russian club told the RHF that the stuff fell in his food, the RHF accepted the excuse and Malkin passed the next test?

Hybrid

Irish_Leaf said:
Last year in the draft Florida tried to draft Ovechkin in the 8th round claiming that at least 2 leap years had passed since he was born therefore making him elidgeable. :lol

I don't see how thats funny they threw away a useless 9th rounder to have even a 1/100 chance to steal him. Thats freakin brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad