Is Malkin really 10-11 months younger than Ovechkin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
Weeee, is Malkin doing well?! Ovechkin broke the scoring record at 16 in the Under-18's (the tournament Malkin is playing in at 18) and it's nice that Malkin is scoring. Has he moved into the top ten yet?

Can you explain your unhealthy obsession with Ovechkin?

That's great he broke that record and all, but for the WJC, I don't see his name beside any records:

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature.asp?fid=1188

In fact he isn't even top 10 in scoring:

42 - Peter Forsberg, SWE (10 + 32), 1992-93
40 - Robert Reichel, CZE (18 + 22), 1988-90
39 - Pavel Bure, USSR (27 + 12), 1989-91
35 - Vladimir Ruzicka, CZE (25 + 10), 1981-83
35 - Esa Tikkanen, FIN (17 + 18), 1983-85
34 - Markus Naslund, SWE (21 + 13), 1992-93
32 - Esa Keskinen, FIN (10 + 22), 1984-85
31 - Eric Lindros, CAN (12 + 19), 1990-92
30 - Petr Rosol, CZE (18 + 12) 1982-84
30 - Alexander Mogilny USSR (16 + 14), 1988-89

I don't see his name there anywhere....

Last edited:

GoRyanMalone

Even now, it's becoming appearent Ovechkin has grown FAR more pubes than Malkin has. Pubes...

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
rahan said:
Malkin had a two points night against Canada with one goal and one assist to lead Russia to a 5-2 win.. That's a good performance, isn't he coming back from an injury? Keeps his stock high just before the draft!
I don't think his stock can go higher than he is now.
He the 2nd best prospects, i don't think he can't go 1rst over AO so he cant go higher.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
At this WJC Ovechkin had 5 goals while Malkin had 1. I don't call that outperforming.
Well, scouts did. And they actually watched the games, you clearly did not.

Can you explain your unhealthy obsession with Ovechkin?
It's pretty comical, isn't it? I remember he made a post on the Thrashers board a few months back proclaiming that he had researched and researched, and decided that Ovechkin would fit best in Atlanta.

This guy can't follow one team, he can only follow one player. Short attention span, I guess.

It's like every time someone makes a post about Malkin, you've got Foppa and Ero coming in belittling him by comparing him to Ovechkin. Somebody could make a thread about how Malkin just split the atom, and Ero/Foppa will come in with their posse saying that Ovechkin split the atom yeeeeeeeeeaars ago.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
It's pretty comical, isn't it? I remember he made a post on the Thrashers board a few months back proclaiming that he had researched and researched, and decided that Ovechkin would fit best in Atlanta.

This guy can't follow one team, he can only follow one player. Short attention span, I guess.

It's like every time someone makes a post about Malkin, you've got Foppa and Ero coming in belittling him by comparing him to Ovechkin. Somebody could make a thread about how Malkin just split the atom, and Ero/Foppa will come in with their posse saying that Ovechkin split the atom yeeeeeeeeeaars ago.

He is from Planet Hockey...

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
He didn't break the record at the WJC. It's the Under-18 tournament. He broke Ilya Kovalchuk's record as a matter of fact. He also broke Pavel Bure's record for under-12 scoring. He got 6 goals in the last game of the season when he needed 3 to ties it. He scored 2 shorthanded goals in 15 seconds once. He has enough medals and awards to cover two walls of a house. He got his first award in soccer. He playes basketball, soccer, billiards, tennis, and table tennis as well as hockey. He was the first Russian since Tretiak to be named to the Senior National Team at the age of 17. He made it to the Superleague at the age of 16. He has I believe 2 gold medals, 2 silver medals, and 2 or more bronze medals.........where was Malkin during this time?

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
More research...

When Ovechkin had 16 points in the 2002 U18's there were also 12 teams in the tournament at least four of which didn't belong there. He easily racked up points versus GErmany (8-2), Slovakia (don't get them confused with the mighty czechs (6-1), and Norway (7-0)... and was on a great team that won it all. But still, Ovechkin was a sixteen... er... seventeen year old at the time. So that counterpoint is always valid. In turn, it set off the media circus that is AO's publicity machine that's seemignly made certain fans fall madly in love with him :amazed:

Conversely, Look at who Russia has played this year. Only one terrible team in Norway. Its a 10 team tourney now and the two other lunchmeat teams are in the other bracket. Malkin hasn't had alot of really bad teams to rack the points up on(only Norway). 3 pts vs. Canada in two periods should carry some weight for him.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Did Malkin make it to the Superleague at 16? Did Malkin make it to the Senior National Team at 17? Is Malkin playing with the Senior National Team now, as Ovechkin is? No, Malkin is playing in the Under-18's, while Ovechkin is playing in the World Championships. Has Malkin played for the National team yet?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
So Ovechkin is better than Malkin, what's your point? That Malkin isn't a good player?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
Did Malkin make it to the Superleague at 16? Did Malkin make it to the Senior National Team at 17? Is Malkin playing with the Senior National Team now, as Ovechkin is? No, Malkin is playing in the Under-18's, while Ovechkin is playing in the World Championships. Has Malkin played for the National team yet?
You aren't making yourself look too smart right now. Just quit while you're only so far behind.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
No, of course not. I'm not even saying Malkin won't be a better player in the future--he might be, there are a lot of variables including what happens to players when they get immediate fame and large contracts, media pressure, fan pressure, ect. My point is that RIGHT NOW Ovechkin is the clear-cut #1. People, especially some jealous Penguins fans, like to spread rumors that Malkin is catching up and may even be better than Ovechkin now. They like to say Ovechkin's ratings have fallen but Malkin's, the "tall Russian center", have increased dramatically. They have even gone as far as to say, and I quote from an article, "Through 34 games for Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Malkin had three goals and nine assists. By comparison, Ovechkin had just 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) in 30 games for Moscow Dynamo of the same league. "

Do the math there and let me know what you come up with. Malkin had 3 goals while Ovechkin had "just" 9 goals.....boy, Malkin MUST be better! Malkin had 12 points while Ovechkin had "just" 17. Read the rest of the article to see the lengths to which thses people will go.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_188112.html

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You're dillusional. This thread is about freaking birthdates, and you managed to screw it up.

My point is that RIGHT NOW Ovechkin is the clear-cut #1.
Anyone with half a brain knows that. And nobody in this thread is disputing that. Therefore, you're basicall arguing with yourself.

People, especially some jealous Penguins fans, like to spread rumors that Malkin is catching up
Penguins fans aren't the ones spreading rumors, amateur and pro scouts are. Malkin was nothing more than a blurb in the 2004 draft preview a year ago, and now he's 2nd behind Ovechkin. That, to me, is called closing the gap. There still IS a gap that I could drive a truck through, however.

They like to say Ovechkin's ratings have fallen
No they don't. Like I said, you're dillusional.

They have even gone as far as to say, and I quote from an article, "Through 34 games for Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Malkin had three goals and nine assists. By comparison, Ovechkin had just 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) in 30 games for Moscow Dynamo of the same league. "
So it's okay for YOU to use only stats to back up an argument, but not Penguins fans, huh? Makes sense.

Do the math there and let me know what you come up with. Malkin had 3 goals while Ovechkin had "just" 9 goals.....boy, Malkin MUST be better! Malkin had 12 points while Ovechkin had "just" 17. Read the rest of the article to see the lengths to which thses people will go.
I repeat, who in this thread has said that Malkin is better than Ovechkin?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tri...s/s_188112.html
That article wasn't written by "jealous Penguins fans", it was written by Joe Starkey. Did he make up the quotes in that article? No. I think you're just deathly afraid that Malkin might end up being a half decent hockey player, for whatever reason.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is a pointless topic to argue about. Neither has yet to play ONE game in North America. Pens fans are not "spreading rumors" about Malkin catching up. We know there is a gap, quite a large one obviously. Lets have this discussion after a few seasons in the NHL.

Skiblitz

Apr 10, 2004
Montréal
At this point all I'd care about if I were the top temas in the draft = who fits my system the best and who's a better team player + work ethic....On those points it appears Malkin would have an edge.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Skiblitz said:
At this point all I'd care about if I were the top temas in the draft = who fits my system the best and who's a better team player + work ethic....On those points it appears Malkin would have an edge.

How do you figure? Ovechkin has superior qualities in all three categories.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
EroCaps said:

Can you link to some articles or something? I've heard nothing (good, middle, or bad) about any of that about Ovechkin or Malkin, or really any non North American player other than maybe Nokelainen.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MrKnowNothing said:
Can you link to some articles or something? I've heard nothing about any of that about Ovechkin or Malkin, or really any non North American player other than maybe Nokelainen.

Just search this forum or google, scouts and coaches rave about Ovechkin's ethic, leadership, and passion for the game.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
EroCaps said:

Malkin's work ethic and attitude is impecable. I doubt that Ovechkin is superior in these two categories. He may be more skilled or what have you, but there is no question that Malkin is destined to do whatever it takes to not only get his team a win, but to improve as an individual.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Just search this forum or google, scouts and coaches rave about Ovechkin's ethic, leadership, and passion for the game.

as do they rave about Malkin's too.

http://nhl.com/futures/2004draft/scouting012604.html

check out the blurb on both players. NHL.com is the most respected hockey sites of all hockey sites. Not only do they mentions Malkins great attitude they also mention that he is the consensus 2nd, which makes you happy of course :)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Alex Kovalev said:
as do they rave about Malkin's too.

http://nhl.com/futures/2004draft/scouting012604.html

check out the blurb on both players. NHL.com is the most respected hockey sites of all hockey sites. Not only do they mentions Malkins great attitude they also mention that he is the consensus 2nd, which makes you happy of course :)

The article also has another spelling to his name.

:help:

Fifth one I've seen now...the joy of Russian characters that aren't in the English alphabet.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MrKnowNothing said:
Can you link to some articles or something? I've heard nothing (good, middle, or bad) about any of that about Ovechkin or Malkin, or really any non North American player other than maybe Nokelainen.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1208/5_228/112861887/p1/article.jhtml

"What makes him so special is the fact that he is a great team player," Pietila says. "He works hard, he makes hits, he blocks shots, he gives pep talks to his teammates--in addition to being an awesomely skilled player."

"Alexander Ovechkin is an excellent all-around player he's got great speed and hands," Stubb says. "He is a big guy who can stand his ground, and he knows how to play every aspect of the game. Alexander also is a very balanced and polite young man. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that he comes from a sports family."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:
He didn't break the record at the WJC. It's the Under-18 tournament. He broke Ilya Kovalchuk's record as a matter of fact. He also broke Pavel Bure's record for under-12 scoring. He got 6 goals in the last game of the season when he needed 3 to ties it. He scored 2 shorthanded goals in 15 seconds once. He has enough medals and awards to cover two walls of a house. He got his first award in soccer. He playes basketball, soccer, billiards, tennis, and table tennis as well as hockey. He was the first Russian since Tretiak to be named to the Senior National Team at the age of 17. He made it to the Superleague at the age of 16. He has I believe 2 gold medals, 2 silver medals, and 2 or more bronze medals.........where was Malkin during this time?

I've been playing/watching hockey since I was 6, I don't need you to tell me the difference between the WJC and the U 18s.

As I said, I don't see his name anywhere on those WJC records.

How long before you say Ovechkin is better than Kharlamov?

Last edited:

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S!!!!

You're arguing over two players who have NOT played yet in the NHL. Very few people here have seen these players live. You're also arguing over 2 players that haven't even been drafted. WAIT TILL THEY COME TO THE NHL!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad