Is Malkin really 10-11 months younger than Ovechkin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Marshall said:
It certainly seems a lot of opinions have changed recently as to how close Malkin is in talent and the dreaded 'upside' to Ovechkin. While some of it isn't surprising, some of it is.
You're wrong. Nobody's opinions have changed, it's just that now that the draft order is set people are talking more about the talent differences, and the supposed gaps.

And when smart hockey people like Rick Dudley and David Conte speak about it, fans listen.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
AGE - It's a state of mind....

or it's all in your mind....that it makes a difference....that a little more or a little less has a bearing on the talent....bullllll!!!!!!!!!!! Get over the age thing....people use it to suggest that a guy with a goal who's a few months, days, hours, minutes, seconds younger has made a bigger contribution. Let the talent speak for itself regardless of too much or too little AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all sound like a bunch of girls harping on the age thing all the time.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not that your moronic post even deserves a response but; Scouts will take everything into consideration, including late birthdates. It's a bonus, just trust me on that.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
Not that your moronic post even deserves a response but; Scouts will take everything into consideration, including late birthdates. It's a bonus, just trust me on that.

Compare the two's stats at similar ages if you're so inclined. Ovechkin has always dominated. It's one thing to hope Malkin blooms late so to speak, it's another to be practically counting on it. :amazed:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wasn't talking about Ovechkin. I'm talking about MALKIN'S late birth date. Ero, why are you having trouble understanding this?

Compare the two's stats at similar ages if you're so inclined.
Want to? Okay, since you asked; Ovechkin's PPG average last season was .40. Malkin's PPG this season was .35.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Jacobv2 said:
You're wrong. Nobody's opinions have changed, it's just that now that the draft order is set people are talking more about the talent differences, and the supposed gaps.

And when smart hockey people like Rick Dudley and David Conte speak about it, fans listen.

I stand by my statement.

And yes, Conte is a legend. When he says something, I think it carries a lot of weight.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
EroCaps said:
Compare the two's stats at similar ages if you're so inclined. Ovechkin has always dominated. It's one thing to hope Malkin blooms late so to speak, it's another to be practically counting on it. :amazed:

Has anyone ever said Malkin is equal to or better than Ovechkin?

No, settle down...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
eyeofthetiger said:
or it's all in your mind....that it makes a difference....that a little more or a little less has a bearing on the talent....bullllll!!!!!!!!!!! Get over the age thing....people use it to suggest that a guy with a goal who's a few months, days, hours, minutes, seconds younger has made a bigger contribution. Let the talent speak for itself regardless of too much or too little AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all sound like a bunch of girls harping on the age thing all the time.

This would almost sound intelligent if they were 24 and 25. When they're 17 and 18 its REALLY ignorant of common sense. You don't have to Know hockey. You don't even have to know sports to realize this post is wrong. I apologize if you read the 11 months as 1.1 months or something like that.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
eyeofthetiger said:

The point is that a year of development can end up making a massive difference to how a guy looks. Go check Heatley's ranking in CSB and Redline the year before he was drafted when he would have had to opt in to the draft for an example (he certainly wasn't top 20.)

So if you're talking about two guys in the same draft year who are almost a year apart then you'd expect the younger one isn't as fully developed and therefore may have a slightly higher ceiling.

Do you disagree?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, let's argue about one person's opinion over someone else's. That'll go far.

Some scouts thought Malkin was better than Ovechkin in a few WJC games. That's it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Christ. That is someone's opinion.

How can you base performance on facts?

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
A Year Of Development!

Flames Draft Watcher said:
The point is that a year of development can end up making a massive difference to how a guy looks. Go check Heatley's ranking in CSB and Redline the year before he was drafted when he would have had to opt in to the draft for an example (he certainly wasn't top 20.)

So if you're talking about two guys in the same draft year who are almost a year apart then you'd expect the younger one isn't as fully developed and therefore may have a slightly higher ceiling.

Do you disagree?

yeah...A YEAR OF DEVELOPMENT does make a difference...but what does his actual age have to do with this....
for example...a player who's 11 months younger playing always in a higher league would develop more than a player 11 months older playing in a lesser(for want of a better word) league...it is about development and not AGE. EXPERIENCE is certainly an important part of a player's development....how much experience he has playing at the top levels despite or in spite of age. I guess you think if he's younger there's still the promise that he'll have time to develop more...again that doesn't make his "goal" better because he's younger. Basically what I meant by the original post is that...when you're watching a game and you see a phenominal performance by a player....I don't care about the age....how does the player being younger make the performance more special...I just don't think it does...great athleticism is great athleticism any way you want to measure it...being younger doesn't make it better...being older doesn't lessen the value...just my opinion.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Just an FYI - Malkin was thrown out of the Rus/Can game in the World U-18's today for checking from behind. This after he assisted on 2 and scored a goal in Russia's 5-2 win. I didn't see the game, just heard the info. No info on who he hit, or how severe it really was.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
At this WJC Ovechkin had 5 goals while Malkin had 1. I don't call that outperforming. Ovechkin at 16 broke the scoring record in the tournament Malkin is playing in now as a 18 year old and Malkin when I checked the day before yesterday was not in the top ten in scoring. Malkin had 3 goals in the Superleague this year while Ovechkin had 13. If you want to say Malkin is a 9.5 months younger, compare Malkin's stats from this year to Ovechkin's from last year. Ovechkin still wins. Ovechkin last year had 8 goals 16 points, Malkin this year had 3 goals 12 points.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Foppa_Rules said:
At this WJC Ovechkin had 5 goals while Malkin had 1. I don't call that outperforming. Ovechkin at 16 broke the scoring record in the tournament Malkin is playing in now as a 18 year old and Malkin when I checked the day before yesterday was not in the top ten in scoring. Malkin had 3 goals in the Superleague this year while Ovechkin had 13. If you want to say Malkin is a 9.5 months younger, compare Malkin's stats from this year to Ovechkin's from last year. Ovechkin still wins. Ovechkin last year had 8 goals 16 points, Malkin this year had 3 goals 12 points.

Nice research! :thumbu:

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Malkin had a two points night against Canada with one goal and one assist to lead Russia to a 5-2 win.. That's a good performance, isn't he coming back from an injury? Keeps his stock high just before the draft!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foppa_Rules said:

I'll stick to comparing NHL stats in 5 years.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Weeee, is Malkin doing well?! Ovechkin broke the scoring record at 16 in the Under-18's (the tournament Malkin is playing in at 18) and it's nice that Malkin is scoring. Has he moved into the top ten yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->