Is Luke Richardson the least celebrated player to ever play +1000 games?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
ron ellis played over 1000 games. for some odd reason he is not in the hhof yet and no one seems to remember him which is their loss.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Luke had a weird tenure in Philly. He was brought in as a big UFA acquisition to solidify the defense. He was initially a disappointment and was a bit of a whipping boy amongst fans, though he was popular with his teammates. Eventually the fans mellowed out on him a bit and appreciated his willingness to stand up for his teammates, but I would never say he was especially popular in Philly, and today he's nearly a forgotten player.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
he is EASILY hhof worthy. he should be remembered and respected more.

We're thinking of the same player? The guy with 1000 games and 640 points? And 26 playoff points? With two 30-goal seasons? That guy?

If so - This is a first. I've never once heard anyone say this, ever. And I've been here 11 years.

I mean, there are plenty of classic "good guys" who did the little things, and were just "ok" offensively, who you sometimes hear about as being HHOF worthy by a fringe minority - Tonelli and Goring, for example. But Ellis? Why?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
i'll see if i have the time and when i do i'll create a thread. busy time of year and i want to do ron the justice he deserves. i also don't want to derail this thread.

Give it up...would be like inducting Petr Sykora or something.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1417 games and 201 points, 69 PO games and 8 points, all assists. No cup. Played for Toronto, Philadelphia, Edmonton, Columbus, Tampa and Ottawa.

What was the deal with this guy? I looked through the list of players that had +1000 games, and I mean, sure some of them weren't great but atleast they had a reputation in some way or had under the radar pretty good numbers (mostly defensemen). But Richardson...he was obviously good at something. What was it?

nope

others include
Ledyard
Snepts
Rainhain
Boshman
Kimmo Timonen
Jamie Macoun
Todd Marchant
Craig Ludwig
Dean Prentice

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ranheim and Ledyard would be two less-celebrated 1000 GP players. The others, not really close. Much more fanfare/success associated with them.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Somebody mentioned Jay Wells. He was part of the NY Rangers Cup-winning team in 1994. 23 games and zero pts in the playoffs.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Nah. You have guys like Steve Staios, Curtis Leschyshyn, Phil Russell. All less heralded in my opinion

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nah. You have guys like Steve Staios, Curtis Leschyshyn, Phil Russell. All less heralded in my opinion

You must not remember much about Phil Russell. He was a #2 defenseman most of his career, and on pretty good teams, too. Scored over 400 points.

Staios, yes, absolutely. He might be the winner, actually.

Leschshyn? Definitely unheralded, but I think he was more of a name player than Richardson, even if it was mainly because he played for the Avs.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I used to play NHL 2005 a lot and liked to chose the worst team. So to me, Staios along with Jason Smith is very known... Jason Smith's another guy with +1000 games played by the way.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe we should just induct everyone who ever played more than 10 games. It could be the "Hockey Hall of Fame Participation" ribbon.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Saying Richardson is the worst player to ever play 1400 games and one of the worst to play 1000 is by no means an insult (at least, in my opinion). He had to have been doing something right to stick around in the league that long, and it's an incredible accomplishment to play 100 NHL games, let alone 1000. He is in elite company.

I remember him mostly from his days in Philly in the late 90s. He was behind Desjardins, McGillis, Therrien, maybe one other on the depth chart. Tough as nails, perfect for that era. I always think of him in the same vein as Ken Daneyko.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
His daughter died in 2010, a couple years after his career was over. What does any of that have to do with his playing career? The original poster had a specific question on whether he was the least celebrated player to play 1000+ games. I think he is up there. But he definitely stands out even more so among the guys who played 1400+ games. How is my response not relevant to the questions that were asked?

It's perfectly relevant, and an interesting point of discussion.

That's honestly one of the most bizarre tangents I've ever seen on in the History Board. Completely unfounded, irrelevant, and borderline libel.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->