Is Luke Richardson the least celebrated player to ever play +1000 games?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
1417 games and 201 points, 69 PO games and 8 points, all assists. No cup. Played for Toronto, Philadelphia, Edmonton, Columbus, Tampa and Ottawa.

What was the deal with this guy? I looked through the list of players that had +1000 games, and I mean, sure some of them weren't great but atleast they had a reputation in some way or had under the radar pretty good numbers (mostly defensemen). But Richardson...he was obviously good at something. What was it?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He was just more or less a solid defenseman. Stay at home type, you'd be happy if he is among your top 4 but you are in hot water if he's your best. Lots of guys with over 1000 games who really did nothing of note though: Mike Grier, Mike Sillinger (played for practically every team in the league though), Doug Bodger, etc. However, Richardson did play a lot more than 1000. I am looking on the list for guys who are 1400 and up and there are just 31 of them. 25 are in the HHOF, or will be. The worst player other than Richardson is Glen Wesley.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
He was just more or less a solid defenseman. Stay at home type, you'd be happy if he is among your top 4 but you are in hot water if he's your best. Lots of guys with over 1000 games who really did nothing of note though: Mike Grier, Mike Sillinger (played for practically every team in the league though), Doug Bodger, etc. However, Richardson did play a lot more than 1000. I am looking on the list for guys who are 1400 and up and there are just 31 of them. 25 are in the HHOF, or will be. The worst player other than Richardson is Glen Wesley.

The Luke Richardson story follows.

The numbers:

Luke Richardson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

The man:

Luke Richardson - Wikipedia

Other than the attacks on Jose Theodore, this thread with the usual suspects leading the way is simply disgusting.

Luke Richardson lost a teenage daughter under very tragic circumstances yet all Big Phil can say is bolded.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
He was the kind of player every team should have. Would stick up for teammates and played a hard nosed game. Wasn't afraid to take on any opponent in a fight.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Luke Richardson lost a teenage daughter under very tragic circumstances yet all Big Phil can say is bolded.

I liked Richardson. He looked a bit out of his depth in Toronto at times in the late-80s, but who didn't on that team? He was good in Edmonton, but unfortunately just as the team was falling out of contention. Five good years in Philly, and thereafter a journeyman who bounced around in free-agency. Still, 1417 games isn't too shabby for a guy who scored 20 points in a season once, so he must have been doing something right.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Luke Richardson story follows.

The numbers:

Luke Richardson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

The man:

Luke Richardson - Wikipedia

Other than the attacks on Jose Theodore, this thread with the usual suspects leading the way is simply disgusting.

I don't know if you can hear me from up there, but that unfortunate circumstance in Richardson's life has nothing to do with this thread or about the post that you quoted.

As for Richardson's actual play, I don't know that he is less "celebrated" than several other 1000+ game players. It is surprising that he made it to 1400 games though. He was solid defensively, good size and a good skater for the time. Was also a member of the 1994 Canadian team at the IIHF World Championship, for whatever that is worth.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Luke had the misfortunate of playing for mediocre or poor teams. Some lesser players play fewer games but happen to land on good teams and win a few Cups. Solid guy, I don't know if he still is coaching, but he had a stint in the AHL.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't know if you can hear me from up there, but that unfortunate circumstance in Richardson's life has nothing to do with this thread or about the post that you quoted.

As for Richardson's actual play, I don't know that he is less "celebrated" than several other 1000+ game players. It is surprising that he made it to 1400 games though. He was solid defensively, good size and a good skater for the time. Was also a member of the 1994 Canadian team at the IIHF World Championship, for whatever that is worth.

Yeah, you think? Where the heck Canadiens1958 felt that was relevant is beyond me. His name sticks out among players that played 1400+ games. Not hard to look up. We can say the word "solid" all night long, we all know he was solid but is he out of place on that list? Obviously.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah, you think? Where the heck Canadiens1958 felt that was relevant is beyond me. His name sticks out among players that played 1400+ games. Not hard to look up. We can say the word "solid" all night long, we all know he was solid but is he out of place on that list? Obviously.

No common benefit to anyone or the board critiquing players the way you did who have gone thru family tragedies like the loss of a child.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No common benefit to anyone or the board critiquing players the way you did who have gone thru family tragedies like the loss of a child.

Pierre Turgeon lost a child, so did Adam Graves. Gretzky's dad almost died in 1991, Espen Knutsen's deflected shot killed a girl, Tom Barrasso had a sick daughter at one point, Stephane Richer almost committed suicide, Theo Fleury was a victim of Graham James..........shall we go on? Are we on this board to discuss the player's career or do we have to check first and see if there was a tragedy in his life first?

You seem to be looking for a fight for whatever reason. No one wants to hear about someone's daughter dying because we can all relate to that, it is implied. But let's keep this about hockey, shall we?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Pierre Turgeon lost a child, so did Adam Graves. Gretzky's dad almost died in 1991, Espen Knutsen's deflected shot killed a girl, Tom Barrasso had a sick daughter at one point, Stephane Richer almost committed suicide, Theo Fleury was a victim of Graham James..........shall we go on? Are we on this board to discuss the player's career or do we have to check first and see if there was a tragedy in his life first?

You seem to be looking for a fight for whatever reason. No one wants to hear about someone's daughter dying because we can all relate to that, it is implied. But let's keep this about hockey, shall we?

No compassion for people. All about making some lists like you just did.

Reactions: double5son10

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
And anyone who doesn't bring up a player's dead daughter every time his name comes up doesn't have compassion for a player? That's nonsense.

No you just give the player a pass on your list making. Just recognize that he played over 1,000 RS NHL games - the totals are sufficient, speak for themselves. No need for the extra qualifiers.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No you just give the player a pass on your list making. Just recognize that he played over 1,000 RS NHL games - the totals are sufficient, speak for themselves. No need for the extra qualifiers.

His daughter died in 2010, a couple years after his career was over. What does any of that have to do with his playing career? The original poster had a specific question on whether he was the least celebrated player to play 1000+ games. I think he is up there. But he definitely stands out even more so among the guys who played 1400+ games. How is my response not relevant to the questions that were asked?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I remember Richardson having quite a mean streak during his playing days. Apart from the "solid" descriptor, that was probably another reason he had such a long career.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If they played 1,000 games they're not irrelevant. However; some players who may be considered nondescript may be:

Todd Gill, David Legwand, Grant Ledyard, Scott Mellanby, Ron Stewart, and maybe Doug Mohns.

But even then I remember them for something, even if it was Doug Mohns toupee'.....

Hm..
-Todd Gill because he played for The Leafs
-David Legwand, 2'nd overall pick one year
-Grant Ledyard, former Saber.
-Scott Mellanby - killed a rat I think in Florida
-Ron Stewart, scrap with Terry Sawchuk proved fatal
-Mohns because he played as a forward and a defenseman.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Recorded a total of 115 fights through his career:

Luke Richardson

Im not sure what your point is? Do you think thats little? Too much? What?

He wasnt afraid to stand up for a teammate. He was pretty average at it. But he did it. Some pretty big names on his fight card as well.

Back to OT though. Hes probably the least celebrated overall (1000 games played), maybe but the guy was incredibly popular in Philly. And there is even a HoFer who isnt celebrated much with 1000 games played. Harry Howell. There is also Jay Wells, Bob Rouse, Steve Staios, Eric Weinrich, Grant Ledyard, Curtis Leschychyn and Marc Bergevin. All in the same ilk as Richardson.

If they played 1,000 games they're not irrelevant. However; some players who may be considered nondescript may be:

Todd Gill, David Legwand, Grant Ledyard, Scott Mellanby, Ron Stewart, and maybe Doug Mohns.

But even then I remember them for something, even if it was Doug Mohns toupee'.....

Hm..
-Todd Gill because he played for The Leafs
-David Legwand, 2'nd overall pick one year
-Grant Ledyard, former Saber.
-Scott Mellanby - killed a rat I think in Florida
-Ron Stewart, scrap with Terry Sawchuk proved fatal
-Mohns because he played as a forward and a defenseman.

Well I remember Richardson fighting Ciccone twice in the same game. I also remember his daughter dying and the surrounding events of that day. I remember him being a part of the trade that brought Anderson and Fuhr to the Leafs.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Im not sure what your point is? Do you think thats little? Too much? What?

He wasnt afraid to stand up for a teammate. He was pretty average at it. But he did it. Some pretty big names on his fight card as well.

Some of you really need to chill a little. I was only adding a statistic to a statement that was repeated in the thread. 115 fights backs that up. Suggesting anything else would be ludicrous.

Reactions: Ceremony

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hal Gill, never was great at any aspect and at times was sub par. Just kinda always 'was'

1,108 games, 184 points (plus another 111 playoff games with only 6 points)

Reactions: Killion

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
He might not have been very 'celebrated' but you'd have to be an extremely casual fan not to know of Luke Richardson. There are a group of similar players who all have 1000+ games who are not big stars but just were extremely solid for a long time. Guys like Chris Neil, Hall Gill, and Luke. Any hockey fan should really know who they are. Sticking around for that long is not an accident and can be considered a pretty big accomplishment. Might be harder now compared to the pre-cap era now that teams want younger, cheaper players along with highly paid superstars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad