Is Kessel making a late surge before the draft?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Is anyone else getting that impression but me? At HF and in various places outside of HF I get the impression that Kessel is making a comeback.

Examples:

Red Line:
Latest Red Line - Kessel proclaimed top gun among top 10 forwards

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=259570

Forecaster's top 75 for 2006:
(Kessel at #2)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=259736

Speedy Kessel ready for draft
"Kessel is probably the most dynamic player in the draft,†according to Scott Bradley, Bruins Director of Amateur Scouting. “His skating is rated at probably a nine or ten out of ten. He has unlimited speed too.â€

http://www.bostonbruins.com/pressbo...ses.asp?id=1694

I also get the sense that more and more are taking a second look at him here and hoping that he drops to them. Does anyone else sense a backlash to the backlash against him sort of thing that could have him 'rise' (a relative term when he was always going to be a top six pick) the last couple of weeks before the draft?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Hockey News has him rated at #2 as well.

On the other hand ISS and Central Scouting have him placed at #5.

You have to figure at least 1 team in the top 5 will agree with he is top 2(assuming EJ is #1) and he will not slip past there(ie first 5 picks).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't know about a late surge, but when teams look at Kessel and the dust settles, what is left? A dynamic forward with elite ability that can't be taught, including great speed and a bullet for a shot. I think that comforts more teams than turns away. His offensive upside is simply greater than anyone in the draft, and in this era of NHL hockey that has to be attractive.

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't know about a late surge, but when teams look at Kessel and the dust settles, what is left? A dynamic forward with elite ability that can't be taught, including great speed and a bullet for a shot. I think that comforts more teams than turns away. His offensive upside is simply greater than anyone in the draft, and in this era of NHL hockey that has to be attractive.

are you his agent? ;)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
His season has been over for two months. If he has a higher ranking now than he did when his season ended, it's because other prospects fell, not because he is making any kind of surge.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
usiel said:
I hope one of the top 3 teams pick him before my Capitals do...he still scares me as a prospect ;) .
im with you, i really dont want him as a jacket.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Le Golie said:
His season has been over for two months. If he has a higher ranking now than he did when his season ended, it's because other prospects fell, not because he is making any kind of surge.
or maybe the reasons people were lowering him, arent as big of a problem anymore. maybe services were picking him a part to much(as happens when someone gets hyped for so long, people start to look for faults and focus on them, instead of look at what the player can do, positively) and after time away, they have thought it over again and realized he is the top "talent" at the forward position

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Jaded fan-

I've been under the impression Kessel has given you a "Surge" for quite awhile now!

:amazed: :sarcasm:

Kessel won't fall below 3rd one way or another IMO.

-fullmetalninja

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
fullmetalninja said:
Jaded fan-

I've been under the impression Kessel has given you a "Surge" for quite awhile now!

:amazed: :sarcasm:

Kessel won't fall below 3rd one way or another IMO.

-fullmetalninja

I do not deny that in the least. That said, this thread was not about my feelings. I have hardly been subtle about them. This thread was a reflection of a turn I sense, here and in various places outside of here at HF. As I said, a backlash against the backlash. And Kessel climbing back to top three in most minds. I did not get that sense only a week or two ago, did you?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
usiel said:
I hope one of the top 3 teams pick him before my Capitals do...he still scares me as a prospect ;) .

Actually one of my great fears is Kessel and Ovechkin together. I still think that Kessel is best suited to wing, but on Ovechkin's line, that would scare the crap out of me. Take Toews, please. That is the guy you all want, and I would be more than happy out of the top guys if you all end up with him. That does not scare me much at all.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They are pipe dreaming--there is a good reason he dropped on so many lists prior to this--at first they thought he was Crosby--he ain't--that alone puts him back in the pack with evryone else considered in the top 5-6 forwards...secondly--just remember how he QUIT and stood watching the play transition back to his own zone when caught deep in the opposing zone --no effort to come back and back-check=an indicator of laziness in one jaw-dropping moment in a game at this year's WJHC--that had to stick in many scouts' craw as a danger signal...he's a LOSER ...AVOID!

PLus--he had a terrible shooting % given the # of shots he took last year at Minnesota...if he can't beat NCAA goalies more efficiently,how will he do vs. better NHL goalies?

PLus Blachawks coach Yawney was more imnpressed by Backstrom at the WHC than he was by Kessel...

SO this "momentum shift" some posters detect in Kessel's favour is an illusion--Woodlief just loves his Amewrican guys--I suspect more teams think that the Central Scouting guys had the better assessment and were bqang on in the "sometimes lazy" accusation against PHIL THE THRILL..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
hawksfan50 said:
They are pipe dreaming--there is a good reason he dropped on so many lists prior to this--at first they thought he was Crosby--he ain't--that alone puts him back in the pack with evryone else considered in the top 5-6 forwards...secondly--just remember how he QUIT and stood watching the play transition back to his own zone when caught deep in the opposing zone --no effort to come back and back-check=an indicator of laziness in one jaw-dropping moment in a game at this year's WJHC--that had to stick in many scouts' craw as a danger signal...he's a LOSER ...AVOID!

PLus--he had a terrible shooting % given the # of shots he took last year at Minnesota...if he can't beat NCAA goalies more efficiently,how will he do vs. better NHL goalies?

PLus Blachawks coach Yawney was more imnpressed by Backstrom at the WHC than he was by Kessel...

SO this "momentum shift" some posters detect in Kessel's favour is an illusion--Woodlief just loves his Amewrican guys--I suspect more teams think that the Central Scouting guys had the better assessment and were bqang on in the "sometimes lazy" accusation against PHIL THE THRILL..

Wow, your late. I expected you before this.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
HF50 doesn't want him on the hawks- i'm not quite sure why...

I don't really care too much about shooting %, quite honestly. I care about pts. I care about offensive players with a positive +/-. To me these stats for kessel demonstrate what we can all see:

He dominates possession of the puck when he is on the ice.

The number of shots he put on goal were stunning- and directly led to the number of assists he had. HIs speed is unmatched in this draft, and he is creative.

I don't care that he's not Bobby Carpenter. I hope the hawks look for a new Bobby Carpenter in the 4th round- I don't want them wasting another top pick on a "two-way" player. I want a guy who can put up 80+ pts.

-fullmetalninja

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
RDriesen16 said:
im with you, i really dont want him as a jacket.

If the jackets pick him that means one of the "top 5 guys" slipped to 6th, i would loook at that as a good thing. As an Islanders fan i am hoping one of the top 5 guys falls to us. Although i can sort of see the Columbus point of view that you already have Zheredev and don't want 2 similar types of players.

If you don't want him as the 6th pick who would you rate ahead of him? (besides Staal, Johnson, Backstrom and Toews)

fullmetalninja said:
HF50 doesn't want him on the hawks- i'm not quite sure why...

I don't really care too much about shooting %, quite honestly. I care about pts. I care about offensive players with a positive +/-. To me these stats for kessel demonstrate what we can all see

I guess those against picking Kessel will say he will get alot of points but he is not the kind of player you win a championship with(ie doesn't show up in big games). To them picking somebody who is less flashy, get less points, but a playoff warrior might be a better pick. As much as i would love the Islanders to get Kessel, i have him rated #4 on my wishlist.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:

Great assessment. I think this kid will be something special.
I know people like Toews but I feel that in the end Kessel will end up being like Pat Lafontaine while Toews will be like a prime Kirk Muller.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
hawksfan50 said:

I'm going to start calling you 50/50, i.e. you see one side of the coin and ignore the other. You like to bag on Kessel using some pretty select criteria but never acknowledge his obvious gifts and accomplishments. Way to go!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
boredmale said:
If the jackets pick him that means one of the "top 5 guys" slipped to 6th, i would loook at that as a good thing. As an Islanders fan i am hoping one of the top 5 guys falls to us. Although i can sort of see the Columbus point of view that you already have Zheredev and don't want 2 similar types of players.

If you don't want him as the 6th pick who would you rate ahead of him? (besides Staal, Johnson, Backstrom and Toews)

I guess those against picking Kessel will say he will get alot of points but he is not the kind of player you win a championship with(ie doesn't show up in big games). To them picking somebody who is less flashy, get less points, but a playoff warrior might be a better pick. As much as i would love the Islanders to get Kessel, i have him rated #4 on my wishlist.

The thing is, Kessel has done more to prove he is a big game player than not. Besides, when is what is or isn't accomplished in ONE FREAKING GAME the be all end all when it comes to projecting how a player competes? I've seen Hall-of Fame players bag it in big games. Does that tarnish their body of work over a career? HELL NO!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Jaded-Fan said:
Actually one of my great fears is Kessel and Ovechkin together. I still think that Kessel is best suited to wing, but on Ovechkin's line, that would scare the crap out of me. Take Toews, please. That is the guy you all want, and I would be more than happy out of the top guys if you all end up with him. That does not scare me much at all.
ya,...i don't want wash. to get staal, backstrom,or kessel.....but thats just the kind of guy i am :)

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I could be reading too much into this, but I think the Pens may have tipped their hand a little bit on their website. They have some pretty nice prospect evaluations including highlight clips and analysis by their head scout. The scout obviously loved EJ, but he will probably go #1 overall to the Blues unless a trade occurs. The section with Toews was interesting, as the reporter asked the scout if he thought Toews might go in the top five, and the scout took a second and said "yeah...I think so" but did not sound very emphatic. His comments on Staal indicated that he liked him, but he harped on the fact that he is very underdeveloped and is a long way off from the show. However, with Kessel, the scout had a lot of good things to say and sounded pretty enthusiastic about him. He called him a natural goal scorer and talked about his great skill and speed.

Listening to the comments by the scout, it sounds like the Pens may have the draft order going EJ then Kessel. Of course no mention was made of Backstrom, and they could very well have him high on the list. But if you cross Staal and Toews off the list, it looks all the more likely that Kessel is ending up in Pittsburgh. I do think they will try to exhaust all options for EJ though, and would be willing to part with something significant, such as Goligoski & #2 to get him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
Take Toews, please. That is the guy you all want, and I would be more than happy out of the top guys if you all end up with him. That does not scare me much at all.

Toews is getting some of the same accolades that Eric Staal was his draft year. (i.e Yzmeran comparisons, two-way game, lanky offensive center w/knack for making the right play)

He, Backstrom or Staal will probably be sick paired w/Ovechkin. There's no escaping it. ;)

I'd be surprised if McPhee had Kessel at the top of his list.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
EroCaps said:
He, Backstrom or Staal will probably be sick paired w/Ovechkin. There's no escaping it.

I would say Backstrom or Toews would make a good compliment for Ovechkin, not so sure about Staal. That being said i agree with you that of the top 5 teams Washington might be the only one who Kessel might not be a good fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->